House Price Crash Forum

Gorgeous George Galloway Wins Bradford Seat

newbonic

HOLA441

Galloway and his Respect party win a seat in the commons with a 10,000 majority. Hammered the Labour party. Indie

This has just got to have serious implications for millipede in nominal charge of the labour party.

But will it influence the ConDems economic policies if they get the message that there's trouble brewing in't mills?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442
HOLA443

This is a serious watershed in British politics. Galloway's new career is sucking up to muslims and it's paying off for him. In the past people voted along class and ideological lines. In the future they will vote along ethnic lines. This is the first small sign of a massive change. Once an area "turns muslim" it will never turn back. Thereafter it will be run from the mosques.

HOLA444

Could we move this to the current affairs area?

Thanks Mods.

I think a result like this could have significant influence on the govts economic decisions. What with the 'missing 500,000' families ("it's society wot's to blame, innit") I reckon the firm but fair Osbourne may be tempted to chuck a few hundred mill at such problems.

The big 2.5 will react if their stranglehold on British politics is threatened.

But yea, current affairs is a good a home as any!

HOLA445

I think a result like this could have significant influence on the govts economic decisions. What with the 'missing 500,000' families ("it's society wot's to blame, innit") I reckon the firm but fair Osbourne may be tempted to chuck a few hundred mill at such problems.

Nah, throwing money at it is what New Labour did with no real net effect.

What they need to do is look at restructuring some of the support structures (like schools), and start penalising parents of children under 18 who misbehave at school or outside it. At the same time they need a long-term strategy to attract employers who require semi-skilled labour to the UK.

HOLA446

Nah, throwing money at it is what New Labour did with no real net effect.

What they need to do is look at restructuring some of the support structures (like schools), and start penalising parents of children under 18 who misbehave at school or outside it. At the same time they need a long-term strategy to attract employers who require semi-skilled labour to the UK.

But throwing money at it is easy to implement and could kick the can down the road until after the next election.

Your second para's set of education measures, while I agree with them, are difficult to implement and mostly would have to be done in the teeth of opposition from the teaching unions and the human rights lawyers.

HOLA447

This is a serious watershed in British politics. Galloway's new career is sucking up to muslims and it's paying off for him. In the past people voted along class and ideological lines. In the future they will vote along ethnic lines. This is the first small sign of a massive change. Once an area "turns muslim" it will never turn back. Thereafter it will be run from the mosques.

It'll be interesting to see what kind of candidate Lab field at the next general election, if they want to attract the muslim vote away from Respect.

HOLA448

It'll be interesting to see if the same tactic works for Ken. Tower Hamlets council is run from the East London Mosque these days and he's sucking up big time to the mayor.

HOLA449

I think the mosques in Bradford were solidly behind Labour. This looks like more of a 'plague on all your houses' vote against the status quo.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411

But throwing money at it is easy to implement and could kick the can down the road until after the next election.

Next election is 17 May 2015 - just over 3 years away.

Their biggest problem was to ignore the problem, and they are continuing to do so. When you have kids who emerge from an education system after 13 years unable to read and write, you know something is amiss. Toss parents who couldn't give a toss into the mix and you are headed for certain disaster. Giving them free money just gets you there quicker...

When they removed corporal punishment from schools they didn't replace it with anything that is effective. Excluding kids just puts them straight on the path of being a wrong'un. Having said that, when you're smart and 18, emerging from your exam-induced stupor and take a look around, the choices are... load up with debt for future with no certainties except big repayments, or try and eek out a life on benefits and working cash in hand. Can't really blame them in many cases.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414

I think the mosques in Bradford were solidly behind Labour. This looks like more of a 'plague on all your houses' vote against the status quo.

There maybe a lot of Muslims in West Bradford, but there is a hell of a lot more white Christians and they obviously voted for Galloway.

HOLA4415

I dont believe the Muslim vote was garnered via local issues, rather because Mr G had stood up for Kashmir and Pakistan, and supported islamic issues worldwide. Irrespective of whether they are right or wrong.

A classic example of the Islamic concept of Ummah (ie Muslim brotherhood)

Westernised Muslims will always look East for direction rather than travel to the East, in an attempt to impose democratic values upon Islam.

If that's the case then the Lab candidate would have had no credibility whatsoever, given that the invasions of iraq and afghanistan were both launched when they were in power.

Respect could be onto a winner with that strategy in many other seats. I wouldn't be surprised if they got several MPs at the next general election.

Balkan Britain here we come.

HOLA4416

I wonder what your avatar would say if he was alive today?

I'm sure he'd be turning in his grave! <_<

Or maybe he'd say: darn, I was wrong, the black doesn't have the whip-hand after all, it's the muslim.

GW/Respect is the only muslim-aligned party opposing the killing of muslims in the ME by Western powers. I don't see how a muslim can support Labour when Labour are not opposing US/UK wars in the ME. "We're killing your Brothers, please vote for us," is not going to work anymore.

Also note GW's campaigning tactics - he travels to Pakistan and Bangladesh and talks to religious leaders there. The war was not won on the streets of Bradford but in the madrassas of the subcontinent.

HOLA4417

On the subject of religious/racial voting one wonders if Ed Miliband being Labours first Jewish Leader had a bearing?

Interesting thought. There's considerable antipathy for Jews by muslims, and if Iran it attacked it will get worse. "Vote Labour: we kill muslims and have a Jewish leader," isn't going to play well.

HOLA4418

Yet just a few decades ago, Bradford was completely different to today. Rolls Royces lined the streets outside the Wool Exchange every Thursday. When you Look at Bradford today, you are looking at the future of many UK towns.

I was rhinking that too.

I'm from the Scarborough/coast area. Although the distance is a bit of a filter, my memories of the 70s of people from Bradford was that they were all well off.

fur coat + rolls types. Yes I know there would have been some p1ss poor people in the town.

In my lifetime - 40 years - Bradford has gone to being an total cr@p hole.

All down to the Mill owners too. The cloth industry was going thru what will be seen as a short term dip, so they start importing 1000s from the back of the back of the back of beyonds. Misouri(sp?) Pakistanis really had barely left the stone age. 4th world probably does not do justice to their social structures.

Stupid really. The owners should have invested in capital - machines to process + spin the wool and not tried to scam it with cheaper + cheaper labour.

HOLA4419
HOLA4420

Wow! I didn't see that one coming, that's a huge blow to millipede and liebore.

People are finally getting totally sick of the 3 main parties and this should focus some minds!!

Good - a massive kick in the balls for TPTB! I bet lots of people. Voted for George just to piss off the big 3 - I would have been tempted myself, would love to have seen ed balls smug face when the results came out - joy.

I didn't even know this was happening last night - has the national press etc been keeping quiet or did I just miss it?

HOLA4421

Right the point I was going to make before I was distracted.

This is too early to tell but maybe Labours problem is much bigger than you or they think.

Consider the parties progress here - and I type all this being what they would consider a born Labour supported - North East, working class + coal miner family:

Modern UK politics begins after the 2nd world war.

Labour were elected as the party of the working man.

They created the NHS, welfare state and all that.

On a side note, the early Labour leaders would be considered very right-wing - no subs then no benefits.

By the 70s the UK economic structure was falling apart.

All politcal parties had failed to adjust to wider choice - Britsh Leyland vs. Datsun stuff.

In the 80s Labour suffered big defeats. The Labour party then started disappearing up a very inward, over political theory, which is all a pile of BS, think bak to those pointless student politics of communism vs. trots and all that. Not really acceptable from 18yo but nuts from a 50 yo - think miltant which was just a 'make it up as we go along thing'

Anyhow, Labour won in the mid 90s. Partly due to the Cons losing.

1997->2002 Labour really did nothing.

2002->2007 Gordon Brown actions have probably destroyed Labour as a centre Left party.

Part of the outcome of the 2002 splurge was that Labour stopped being the working mans party and became the public sectors party.

Not being party political here but can you say anyhting Labour did for someone working in the private sector?

Labour are not the party of poor. Labour are now the party of the people who 'farm' the poor.

And this is their problem. If they get in next time what do they do?

There entire existence is tied to increasing money for their political base- the public sector.

HOLA4422
HOLA4423

And from the wail...

"...has left Ed Miliband reeling.Bookies have now cut the odds on him not leading the party at the next General Election from 5/2 to 9/4 with William Hill saying the result was 'potentially a disaster for Labour.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2122523/George-Galloway-Secures-shock-victory-Bradford-West-election.html#ixzz1qbM8S5vm"

If lab have got any sense they'll ditch him ASAP and make a pseudo new start with just about anybody else with a pulse.

HOLA4424

I'd like to see some real analysis of i) how many postal votes involved (known for voter fraud/community write ins, especially amongst ethnic communities) ii) voter religous/ethnic bent. Any media types reading this, get cracking - there could be a press award in it for you.

I fear - and the above analysis would need to prove me wrong with hard stats - that this is the first example of the balkanisation of the UK. Ill educated populations told how to vote by their community 'leaders' amongst ethnic and religious lines. Corruption and downwards spiral for the average citizen here we come....

HOLA4425

I'd like to see some real analysis of i) how many postal votes involved (known for voter fraud/community write ins, especially amongst ethnic communities) ii) voter religous/ethnic bent. Any media types reading this, get cracking - there could be a press award in it for you.

I fear - and the above analysis would need to prove me wrong with hard stats - that this is the first example of the balkanisation of the UK. Ill educated populations told how to vote by their community 'leaders' amongst ethnic and religious lines. Corruption and downwards spiral for the average citizen here we come....

Tell me 5 policies he stands for that you prefer either the tory or liebore version.

Archived