House Price Crash Forum

Bullion Ownership In The Uk

HOLA441

Does anyone know of any research done regarding ownership of silver/gold bullion in the UK?

I have read that in Germany it is not unusual for your average man (or woman) in the street to own gold bullion. I suppose this is a result of their recent experience with hyper-inflation.

However, I really doubt this to be the case in the UK and I feel that the vast majority of people tie up any spare money in savings account rather than commodities. I have never read a UK investment article that has promoted ownership of bullion and very few people whom I speak with doubt the long-term credibility of sterling.

These are just thoughts, however, and I was wondering if anyone knew of any research done in this area.

Thanks.

HOLA442
  • 2 weeks later...
HOLA443

The easy way to answer this question is to consider your own acquaintances.

How many own Silver? Gold? Palladium??? Despite a lot of my friends knowing I am interested in the subject in a general way, ONLY ONE of them expressed a serious interest in buying. I think there is one more who is a very a savvy investor, and he and I talk about the subject in a very roundabout way, and reading between the lines, I think he may have some. That's two.

The rest think they don't have the spare money. Some have a few pounds in a building society, and none want to (as they see it) "do something so risky" as to buy gold or silver. I spoke to my colleagues at work in general terms, and showed them Hatton Garden Metals trading webpage. I am now the vaguely-guilty possessor of five batches of scrap gold, sold to me by my own colleagues. In one way, I'm delighted, as this scrap is 1) very liquid, and 2) completely without emotional attachment, so I'll sell it without hesitation when the time comes.

Trouble is, that's exactly the opposite of the point I was trying to make to them. After the first purchase, it went round the office like wildfire that I was willing to buy, and I started to say "You realise you should NOT be selling gold at this time". The next four all said "Yeah, whatever", gave me a handful of bracelets and snatched the fiat.

The best thing about this, is that I hope we'll slip under the radar of TPTB. Gordon FU**ING Brown and his ilk want to get their fat little hands on large sums, not the odd sovereign; so that sound you can hear every time you go to work is the scraping of barrels for every form of tax increase. Every time i see a police camera van, I think of that old mafia Don in The Godfather series, going round the market and saying to each stallholder "Come on, i don't want much, just enough to wet my beak..."

Only the odd few are interested.

[edited to remove mistaken smiley]

Edited by Old Nis

• 2 weeks later...
HOLA444

Does anyone know of any research done regarding ownership of silver/gold bullion in the UK?

I have read that in Germany it is not unusual for your average man (or woman) in the street to own gold bullion. I suppose this is a result of their recent experience with hyper-inflation.

However, I really doubt this to be the case in the UK and I feel that the vast majority of people tie up any spare money in savings account rather than commodities. I have never read a UK investment article that has promoted ownership of bullion and very few people whom I speak with doubt the long-term credibility of sterling.

These are just thoughts, however, and I was wondering if anyone knew of any research done in this area.

Thanks.

I thinkmus British as a nation are pretty ignorant when it comes to financial matters. I notice that in our culture that the masses seem to want to get rid of gold for short term cash.

HOLA445

Only a couple of Brits i know stack metal. However I work with Russian and Lithuanian's who very much understand the concept of precious metal. The ones that don't buy bullion, invest in jewellery which is past down. Their also very savy in property and savings in general, even the young ones.