House Price Crash Forum

Edinbugh Latest

roblpm

HOLA441

Some schedules continue to kick around for a while after a property sells. I just wish someone archived them, along with the sold price. Wouldn't it be great to go onto ourproperty.co.uk (etc) and click on the schedule relating to the sale...you could get a visual history of a property. But I guess there are copyright (and privacy?) issues.

I have a great many schedules archived the last four years, but of course they relate only to my particular search. It’s interesting to revisit them, especially when the same property comes up for sale three or four years later. (If anyone wants to see any schedules from two- and three-bedroom tenement flats in Marchmont, Bruntsfield or Morningside from 2007 onwards, the chances are that I have them!)

Now that I’ve bought a flat, I really ought to terminate my search and stop collecting schedules, but it’s a difficult habit to break, especially when I’m still trying to convince myself that I’ve done the right thing. So far, I think I have, as there are very few flats coming to the market in my area – as I suspected would be the case – and this is forcing the prices up as we head into the spring.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443

Dog ugly on the outside, massive on the inside. £250k - why so 'low'?

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-30935944.html

A combination of being in the middle of nowhere and having a Motherwell postcode, perhaps? £250K to us Edinburgh-watchers might seem impossibly cheap for a big house, but if you have a look at other parts of Scotland the prices are in a different league.

It used to be a hotel – the Mansewood Hotel – so maybe it fell on hard times, had a quick makeover and is being sold on in a hurry.

• 3 weeks later...
HOLA444
HOLA445

http://www.scotsman....-boom-1-2164974

House prices: Edinburgh's 509% house-price boom

... over 25 years, that is.

Didn`t click the link, but is there a reek of desperation about the article? Surely soon they will have to write about price falls and repo`s?

Wonder how many punters in Edinburgh the last few years JUST managed to scrape up enough Liar Loan money to buy a place? Things could get messy pretty fast with rates going up?

Edited by dances with sheeple

HOLA446

EN had a tiny wee article about this 'boom' - interesting the final line mentioned prices here had fallen on average 18% from peak in 2007 - funny - i wonder how a similar story in the opposite direction would be heralded :)

• 2 weeks later...
HOLA447

Rejoice! Here come the super-rich!

http://www.scotsman.com/edinburgh-evening-news/edinburgh/sales-to-super-rich-build-up-capital-s-property-market-1-2194498

SUPER-rich buyers from Russia and the Far East are fuelling Edinburgh’s millionaire property market, it was revealed today.

Property agents say purchases from abroad have boosted £1 million plus sales again after a huge slump.

The past two years have seen a better-than-expected recovery, with wealthy foreigners shunning London for the Capital, attracted by its schools and standard of living. And it is hoped the decision in the budget to raise stamp duty for homes over £2 million will send more buyers north.

Sales of super-prime homes plunged by 68 per cent between 2007 and 2009, linked to the recession and the banking crisis. But a significant recovery is now under way with 62 sales in 2011 and 73 in 2010 – up from just 46 in 2009.

Anecdotally, some agents have found more than half of their inquiries for high-end properties are now from overseas. Foreign buyers accounted for around ten per cent of sales.

etc. etc. etc.

HOLA448

Rejoice! Here come the super-rich!

http://www.scotsman....arket-1-2194498

Joe bloggs in Bingham etc will still find his ex council hoose ends up being worth about 40k, same for the vast swathes of flats and ordinary houses that make up the majority of Edinburgh? Volumes for all houses sold across the city must be massively down on 2007?

Super rich will be getting good discounts unless they are laundering money? Got any links to who is buying and where for the top end?

• 2 weeks later...
HOLA449

Just noticed the latest ESPC report.

ESPC Q1 2012

Interesting to see that in the article prices are being compared to around 2009. When if you look at the historic data you could also compare them to 2006. Same numbers. Just depends on what time you wish to choose.

Gorgie one bedders look to be back to more like 2005-2006 prices.

HOLA4410

PS - 5.9% annual drop. We all know the figures can be skewed by the low number of sales - however I wonder how media like the Scotsman are reporting this ? In line with similar figures years ago showing this sort of rise ? Double page spreads of prices collapsing and the such ? I doubt it. Not that I even read the Scotsman anymore. Online version it pretty bad IMO.

HOLA4411

PS - 5.9% annual drop. We all know the figures can be skewed by the low number of sales - however I wonder how media like the Scotsman are reporting this ? In line with similar figures years ago showing this sort of rise ? Double page spreads of prices collapsing and the such ? I doubt it. Not that I even read the Scotsman anymore. Online version it pretty bad IMO.

Scotsman probably won`t if they have a lot of advertising revenue from housing VI`s? Sky and BBC news will gorge themselves on the misery when the time comes? Or will they choose to report anything but the end of high property prices?

I notice the plethora of "Please buy/rent my over-indebted hutch" have vanished from the fence at Dalry Gait? Is this a council order to clean up signs of desperation in the housing market, or have they all sold (subject to falling through later of course) :lol::lol:

HOLA4412

Actually saw both scotsman and evening news in the shop -first took quite a realistic view of it while 2nd was complete opposite. As for dalry they were there last weeks who knows what happened

HOLA4413

I suppose it usually starts at the bottom - 1-bed flats in Leith/Gorgie have been getting hit for some time. How many FTBs can/want to pay 120k+ for them? Still looks to be taking a long time for drops to move up the chain, but it's bound to happen.

HOLA4414

I suppose it usually starts at the bottom - 1-bed flats in Leith/Gorgie have been getting hit for some time. How many FTBs can/want to pay 120k+ for them? Still looks to be taking a long time for drops to move up the chain, but it's bound to happen.

120k for a first buy in Leith/Gorgie is starting to sound pretty mental now? Almost as far out as Scotland qualifying for a world cup. Maybe not that far, but getting there?

• 3 weeks later...
HOLA4415

Looks like it needs a fair bit of work. Very small as well. However it is still a one bed Gorgie flat for sale for £65k. And its been there for a few weeks already. Oh how times change.

65k Gorgie flat

In its current state you may get a 7-7.5% gross rental yield. Still not even looking great value in terms of 'investment' never mind for your average buyer.

60-70k [Depending on size and condition] was my calculation/prediction for a fair price one bed flat in Gorgie in 2007. Taken 5 years but here is another. Think I have seen one before in this range.

HOLA4416

Looks like it needs a fair bit of work. Very small as well. However it is still a one bed Gorgie flat for sale for £65k. And its been there for a few weeks already. Oh how times change.

65k Gorgie flat

In its current state you may get a 7-7.5% gross rental yield. Still not even looking great value in terms of 'investment' never mind for your average buyer.

60-70k [Depending on size and condition] was my calculation/prediction for a fair price one bed flat in Gorgie in 2007. Taken 5 years but here is another. Think I have seen one before in this range.

Thanks for the link. How much were people paying in that block/street at the peak?

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419

No idea bout that specific block but prob between 120 and 130 for ready to move in. In that state more like 100 110 k. Doubt it would even have made it public though

Did people honestly pay that much for Gorgie? Places like that were about £90k in Leith at peak (ready to move in).

HOLA4420

No idea bout that specific block but prob between 120 and 130 for ready to move in. In that state more like 100 110 k. Doubt it would even have made it public though

Peak for leith was also 120-130k. This was an average so a smaller place like this would have been a bit less - still ready to move in i would say at least 110k. As far as focussing the mind i have mentioned this to a fair few people my age and whilst a few were quite srprised none are interested in buying just now - sentiment has done a full about turn

• 2 weeks later...
HOLA4421

I Was speaking to an EA At the weekend who was trying to say its never been a better time to buy a property, when i asked why ? he did not have an answer other than they are taught to say this at there training course

HOLA4422

Oh well, I suppose I may as well...

http://www.scotsman.com/edinburgh-evening-news/sellers-facing-tough-time-as-property-market-stalls-1-2280804

Sellers facing tough time as property market stalls

By SUE GYFORD

Published on Tuesday 8 May 2012 12:26

PROPERTY experts have warned of a long stagnation ahead in the Capital’s housing market after the latest figures were revealed.

In the three months to April, the average house price in Edinburgh was up just one per cent on the same time last year, at £209,065, according to the Edinburgh Solicitors Property Centre (ESPC).

The number of properties sold was up 12 per cent, but experts said this was because sellers had resigned themselves to accepting lower offers, rather than holding out for their valuation.

It follows the news in April that the number of sales had reached a four-year high. The ESPC announced last month that 1400 homes had been sold between January and March, up from 1000 four years earlier.

Some areas saw a sharp downturn in prices. In Leith Walk and Easter Road, the average price of a one-bedroom flat fell by 14.9 per cent annually, undoing the sharp rise in prices there a year ago.

Stockbridge and Comely Bank also saw a drop, with the average for a two-bedroom flat down 7.5 per cent at £207,688.

Business analyst for ESPC, David Marshall, said: “For the most part the value of smaller properties have fallen as activity from both first-time buyers and buy-to-let investors is still relatively low.

“On the other hand, the value of larger, family homes have risen in many areas, with buyers of these properties generally less affected by factors such as restrictions in mortgage availability.”

Steven Currie, a director of property firm Murray and Currie, said he expected the overall stagnation in the market to continue for some time.

“The reality is that the sales market is in a continued tough time,” he said. “There’s no evidence to suggest that the sales market is going to sit up and flourish.

“It’s back to the old days where if you want something, you’re going to have to save for it and be financially sound for it. There’s no quick fix.”

Mr Marshall also said the increased number of sales was due to a more realistic attitude by vendors.

“Sellers whose homes have been on the market for a while are now showing a willingness to accept a lower offer for their property.

“One in five homes sold over the last three months were secured for more than ten per cent below their Home Report valuation, with most of these being properties that had been on the market for more than four months. ”

Mostly about the ESPC April figures, available here: http://www.espc.com/news-events/house-price-reports/2012/april

Edited by Scunnered

• 1 month later...
HOLA4423

Have a look at the Property Bee history on this one down Cramond. On sale for almost 4 YEARS now. :blink:

Cramond 625k

03 June 2012

• Brief Description changed: NEW REDUCED PRICE. Most impressive contemporary townhouse in luxurious modern development. Vestibule, hall, large dining kitchen, utility, sittingroom, 4 bedrooms, study, den, luxurious en-suite bathrm, en-suite showerroom, wc. Private garden. Roof terrace. Double garage/workshop. Gas under floor heating. Double glazing. Security alarm. Shared equity may be availble. floor...

02 June 2012

• Brief Description changed: Most impressive contemporary townhouse in luxurious modern development. Vestibule, hall, large dining kitchen, utility, sittingroom, 4 bedrooms, study, den, luxurious en-suite bathrm, en-suite showerroom, wc. Private garden. Roof terrace. Double garage/workshop. Gas under floor... floor heating. Double glazing. Security alarm. Shared equity may be availble.

02 April 2012

• Brief Description changed: NEW REDUCED PRICE. Most impressive contemporary townhouse in luxurious modern development. Vestibule, hall, large dining kitchen, utility, sittingroom, 4 bedrooms, study, den, luxurious en-suite bathrm, en-suite showerroom, wc. Private garden. Roof terrace. Double garage/workshop. Gas under floor heating. Double... floor...
  • Price changed: from '£650,000' to '£625,000'

22 February 2012

• Price changed: from '£685,000' to '£650,000'

28 November 2011

• Brief Description changed: Most impressive contemporary townhouse in luxurious modern development. Vestibule, hall, large dining kitchen, utility, sittingroom, 4 bedrooms, study, den, luxurious en-suite bathrm, en-suite showerroom, wc. Private garden. Roof terrace. Double garage/workshop. Gas under floor heating. Double glazing. Security alarm. Shared equity may be availble. Double...
  • Price changed: £685,000
  • Title changed: 7 Brighouse Park Cross Cross, Cramond, EDINBURGH, EH4 6GZ

15 March 2011

• Brief Description changed: 80% Most impressive contemporary townhouse in luxurious modern development. Vestibule, hall, large dining kitchen, utility, sittingroom, 4 bedrooms, study, den, luxurious en-suite bathrm, en-suite showerroom, wc. Private garden. Roof terrace. Double garage/workshop. Gas under floor heating. Double glazing. Security alarm. Shared equity share available (100% share £730,000) in a most may be availble.
  • Price changed: Fixed Price From £584,000 £685,000

10 January 2011

• Brief Description changed: 80% equity share available (100% share £730,000) in a most impressive contemporary townhouse in luxurious modern development. Vestibule, hall, large dining kitchen, utility, sittingroom, 4 bedrooms, study, den, luxurious en-suite bathrm, en-suite showerroom, wc. Private garden. Roof terrace. Double garage/workshop. Gas under floor heating. Double glazing. Security alarm.

15 November 2010

• Price changed: Price £620,000 From £584,000

03 September 2010

• Brief Description changed: Most impres contemp 80% equity share available in a most impressive contemporary townhouse in lux mod devel. Vest, luxurious modern development. Vestibule, hall, lrge large dining kit, utlty, sittingrm, kitchen, utility, sittingroom, 4 bedrms, bedrooms, study, den, lux e-s luxurious en-suite bathrm, e-s shwrrm, en-suite showerroom, wc. Pvte gdn. Private garden. Roof terr. Dbl grge/wkshop. terrace. Double garage/workshop. Gas UFH. DG. Sec under floor heating. Double glazing. Security alarm.

31 August 2010

• Brief Description changed: 80% equity share available in a most impressive contemporary Most impres contemp townhouse in luxurious modern development. Vestibule, lux mod devel. Vest, hall, large lrge dining kitchen, utility, sittingroom, kit, utlty, sittingrm, 4 bedrooms, bedrms, study, den, luxurious en-suite lux e-s bathrm, en-suite showerroom, e-s shwrrm, wc. Private garden. Pvte gdn. Roof terrace. Double garage/workshop. terr. Dbl grge/wkshop. Gas under floor heating. Double glazing. Security UFH. DG. Sec alarm.

30 August 2010

• Brief Description changed: Most impres contemp 80% equity share available in a most impressive contemporary townhouse in lux mod devel. Vest, luxurious modern development. Vestibule, hall, lrge large dining kit, utlty, sittingrm, kitchen, utility, sittingroom, 4 bedrms, bedrooms, study, den, lux e-s luxurious en-suite bathrm, e-s shwrrm, en-suite showerroom, wc. Pvte gdn. Private garden. Roof terr. Dbl grge/wkshop. terrace. Double garage/workshop. Gas UFH. DG. Sec under floor heating. Double glazing. Security alarm.
  • Price changed: Fixed Price £775,000 £620,000

04 September 2009

• Initial entry found.

HOLA4424

The price is all over the place on that one.

I went to see a show home in that estate. I followed signs to the show home without realising how expensive the houses were. It was 800,000 British pounds for a very nice and high spec (on the inside) home. Probably about 300k more than I'd pay for it even if I had that kind of money. Blagged our way in despite a mildly reluctant salesperson.

Hideous hideous whitewashed exterior walls all round the estate. Absolutely ghastly. Planes flying low overhead. Wouldn't go near it myself. Not with a very long bargepole.

HOLA4425

The price is all over the place on that one.

I went to see a show home in that estate. I followed signs to the show home without realising how expensive the houses were. It was 800,000 British pounds for a very nice and high spec (on the inside) home. Probably about 300k more than I'd pay for it even if I had that kind of money. Blagged our way in despite a mildly reluctant salesperson.

Hideous hideous whitewashed exterior walls all round the estate. Absolutely ghastly. Planes flying low overhead. Wouldn't go near it myself. Not with a very long bargepole.

Aye and for similar money you can have a seriously nice huge detached stone or solid built house in a much more pleasant area nearby.

If you look at the detail for that one there was shared equity attempts all through it - on a house of over 600k. :lol::blink:

WTF.