House Price Crash Forum

What Is It With Btl Landlords And Stains On Carpets? Lol

@contradevian

HOLA441

I've just has a quasi / semi violent confrontation with my ex private landlord! blink.gif

He's tracked me down and arrived here mob handed (shifty accomplice recording the conversation with a smart phone) to recover money for.....wait for it......a bedroom carpet!

He states that he has to come serve "legal papers" which are ...wait for it....is a High Court Judgement, a Statutory Demand, Bankruptcy Notice?

Nope! an invoice for a bedroom carpet!

Hand written on one of those books you buy in Rymans. "To Replace Bed" scrawled on it. (Even that is defective,There was no bed as it was unfurnished).

And I've two weeks to pay or he'll "come down on me hard."

laugh.gif

Oh and I've been "served" a £60 solicitors search fee. (I didn't leave a forwarding address as I didn't owe money, or didn't think I did).

Needless to say the deposit was fully recovered under the DPS, and the naffing bit of shitty bedroom carpet was covered under the original inventory, and I'm now annoyed that I am having to type letters stating this!!!

BTL landlords are total scum, should not be in business, and ought to be regulated into the ground.

They make me laugh as they are such pathetic scum. The go round buying up properties, creating BTL empires and then spend their lives whining about stains on carpets!!!

Mods move to Rental sub forum, when I've had a drink and calmed down a bit.

Just to add the carpet was dirty, when I took possession, as was the rest of the property, as this was even referred to in the inventory. He couldn't even be arsed to get flat properly valeted.

Oh Lordy, WTF do these people come from

HOLA442
HOLA443

Just tell him that you aren't paying and that his next course of action should be to take you to the Small Claims Court. Who would just laugh at him.

Thats basically what I did say, and that really wound him up! laugh.gif

But if you read the various forums all these twits ever seem to do it is "buy property at auction, get mortgage, let property, whine about stains in carpets."

Edited by "Steed"

HOLA444
HOLA445

You're lucky he didn't serve you with a bill for lab analysis to determine the origin of the stain.

He's not that intelligent and tbh I'm offended that anyone would accuse me of leaving a dirty flat, I left it spotless and better than when I took up residence and even painted the damn walls "landlord magnolia" for the fckwit.

I really wish I'd done a "dirty protest" instead! laugh.gif

Notwithstanding the carpet, which I covered with rugs, I wouldn't mind but the flat shouldn't be carpeted given it had underfloor heating.

Edited by "Steed"

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448

He's not that intelligent and tbh I'm offended that anyone would accuse me of leaving a dirty flat, I left it spotless and better than when I took up residence and even painted the damn walls "landlord magnolia" for the fckwit.

I really wish I'd done a "dirty protest" instead! laugh.gif

Notwithstanding the carpet, which I covered with rugs, I wouldn't mind but the flat shouldn't be carpeted given it had underfloor heating.

How much is the time and hassle of tracking you down and billing you for the stain worth compared with the cost of renting a carpet cleaner for the afternoon?

He probably saw that you were a careful tenant who would be more likely to pay up for "damages" than if you'd left the place like a tip.

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411

You see, wouldn't you much rather be 200 grand in the hole than deal with these people?

I'm off out to buy.

He bought the flat at auction for £50-60k he did well. Sucker like me comes along, clean it, pays him £6k a year (the management fee's are based on square footage and quite dear) I leave it behind in a nice state, the flat instantly re -lets to a new tenant.

He literally hasn't had a thing to do, even find a tenant, it was all handled by the letting agent.

Landlord gets a 10% or £600 a year writing down allowance (or £600 a year). Also the flat next door recently sold for £100k,

So really, what is wrong with these people? Are they mentally ill?

Its like the Wilsons, they built a huge property empire, and spent their life nitpicking at deposits. Is that the business model? Make buggar all on the rental and steal the deposit. Well you can't even do that any more as its handled by DPS, so they have to fabricate bills now and go round breaking peoples legs?

Edited by "Steed"

HOLA4412

I've just has a quasi / semi violent confrontation with my ex private landlord! blink.gif

He's tracked me down and arrived here mob handed (shifty accomplice recording the conversation with a smart phone) to recover money for.....wait for it......a bedroom carpet!

He states that he has to come serve "legal papers" which are ...wait for it....is a High Court Judgement, a Statutory Demand, Bankruptcy Notice?

Nope! an invoice for a bedroom carpet!

Evidence (if it was ever required) that there should be regulations regarding who is and is not allowed to be a LL. And also good reason why people hate renting so much in this country.

If we had a Government who gave a toss about such things they would have reformed the laws in th is area to give more rights to the poor saps who are being forced to rent of *****ers.... NuLabour showed where they stood on this issue by doing nothing for 13 years and no one would expect the Tories to care too much.

HOLA4413

I actually think that finding out where you live and then turning up on spec with another person filming you and standing on your doorstep demanding money with menaces breaks quite a few laws.

Perhaps you ought to consider suing him for the emotional trauma.

The problem is i doubt it will work because deep down, in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me providing that wool. You need me providing that wool.We use words like marrakesh, persian and true velvet...we use these words as the backbone to a life spent defending something. You use them as a punchline. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who squishes his plates of meat on the tog of the very freedom I provide, then questions the manner in which I provide it! I'd rather you just said thank you and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a Lawyer and stand a post. Either way, I don't give a damn who you think you're entitled to sue!

Edited by Georgia O'Keeffe

HOLA4414

How much is the time and hassle of tracking you down and billing you for the stain worth compared with the cost of renting a carpet cleaner for the afternoon?

Too right. And paying for the accomplice's time too. This landlord's priorities are askew.

If I was the landlord and could no longer track down the ex-tenant easily, I would just swear at myself, put it down to experience, go out and buy a new carpet. I'm sure the incoming tenant will prefer a new carpet (putting my 'marketing' cap on :D )

Really, the landlord's complaint should be with the lettings company Martin & Co, as I assume it was who dealt with the termination of the tenancy and returned Steed's deposit in full. :unsure:

Please keep us updated Steed. Hope the alcoholic drink calmed you down.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416

Too right. And paying for the accomplice's time too. This landlord's priorities are askew.

If I was the landlord and could no longer track down the ex-tenant easily, I would just swear at myself, put it down to experience, go out and buy a new carpet. I'm sure the incoming tenant will prefer a new carpet (putting my 'marketing' cap on :D )

Really, the landlord's complaint should be with the lettings company Martin & Co, as I assume it was who dealt with the termination of the tenancy and returned Steed's deposit in full. :unsure:

Please keep us updated Steed. Hope the alcoholic drink calmed you down.

We have had an brief email exchange and its apparent he's clueless and hasn't sought legal advise at all, or rather he has and they have laughed him out of the office, so chosen to chance his arm, threaten a bit of arm breaking, and if that doesn;t work, hope his scratch cards come up trumps. For example he states the County Court have told him its a "clear cut" case. Well the Court would never say that. They will only advise on court procedure as they are not qualified to dispense legal opinion.

I won't be responding to any more emails, and will now go silent and await his "proper claim" with interest, but he needs to be aware he will be put to "strict proof" photo's and third party reports, "just because he says so" won't really count with a judge.

HOLA4417

I think I've read in the rental forum where a poster stated a court case where the judge ruled that a carpet can not be classed as an asset if it has been laid over a certain number of years. I'm not sure the case was regarding a rental dispute but the principal would equally apply.

If you can find that piece of case law the landlord is fatties leg.

HOLA4418

We have had an brief email exchange and its apparent he's clueless and hasn't sought legal advise at all, or rather he has and they have laughed him out of the office, so chosen to chance his arm, threaten a bit of arm breaking, and if that doesn;t work, hope his scratch cards come up trumps. For example he states the County Court have told him its a "clear cut" case. Well the Court would never say that. They will only advise on court procedure as they are not qualified to dispense legal opinion.

I won't be responding to any more emails, and will now go silent and await his "proper claim" with interest, but he needs to be aware he will be put to "strict proof" photo's and third party reports, "just because he says so" won't really count with a judge.

If you need any help I for one would be happy to form part of a delegation to 'discuss' this with the landlord.

HOLA4419
HOLA4420

I think I've read in the rental forum where a poster stated a court case where the judge ruled that a carpet can not be classed as an asset if it has been laid over a certain number of years. I'm not sure the case was regarding a rental dispute but the principal would equally apply.

If you can find that piece of case law the landlord is fatties leg.

It's 5 years - the lifespan of a carpet if it's in rented accommodation.

HOLA4421

The fact you have it on the check in inventory and the deposit was returned sort of makes it a clear cut case :lol::lol::lol:

Was this actually with those clowns Martin & Co? I suffer them in York, the last entertainment was when our agreement was up, they wanted £60 each for no change in rent or terms, so we decided to go statutory, 2 weeks later got a letter off someone else saying the same about terms etc and an urgent email ...about someone elses house, name, address, the lot-data protection non existent :lol::lol::lol:

HOLA4422

The fact you have it on the check in inventory and the deposit was returned sort of makes it a clear cut case :lol::lol::lol:

Was this actually with those clowns Martin & Co? I suffer them in York, the last entertainment was when our agreement was up, they wanted £60 each for no change in rent or terms, so we decided to go statutory, 2 weeks later got a letter off someone else saying the same about terms etc and an urgent email ...about someone elses house, name, address, the lot-data protection non existent :lol::lol::lol:

They are basically complete idiots and I suspect they are pulling a fast one on contracts. For example I would sign and return a contract, and never get a copy back (signed by them or a landlord). Its a legal obligation to provide a tenant with a contract (so he knows where he stands for example).

How would you know if a contract you had signed hadn't been stuffed in a drawer somewhere, unsigned by them or the landlord? So for great chunks of the tenancy I was never too sure if I had a six month contract or not. I certainly couldn't produce one if I was ever asked, and when I tackled the letting agency, they couldn't find the agreement! They claimed their filing system was in a mess and would put in the post later (but they never did).

I guess 99 times out of 100, they get away with it, tenants don't really know their rights, then there is a dispute and TSHTF.

Its basically a few young lads running around letting properties and basically stitching up tenants as much as possible with Unfair Contract Terms and unreasonable charges. Basically maintenance, repairs and customer service take a back seat (after the property is let of course) and if they actually employed the staff needed to run the business properly, such as employing a full time repairs manager, would actually make a stinking great loss.

HOLA4423

If he comes again, a word with plod.

I assume he gave you copies of the "historical documents", and you note the date and time he came round.

He has no case as the inventory was checked and the deposit refunded.

HOLA4424

They are basically complete idiots and I suspect they are pulling a fast one on contracts. For example I would sign and return a contract, and never get a copy back (signed by them or a landlord). Its a legal obligation to provide a tenant with a contract (so he knows where he stands for example).

How would you know if a contract you had signed hadn't been stuffed in a drawer somewhere, unsigned by them or the landlord? So for great chunks of the tenancy I was never too sure if I had a six month contract or not. I certainly couldn't produce one if I was ever asked, and when I tackled the letting agency, they couldn't find the agreement! They claimed their filing system was in a mess and would put in the post later (but they never did).

I guess 99 times out of 100, they get away with it, tenants don't really know their rights, then there is a dispute and TSHTF.

Its basically a few young lads running around letting properties and basically stitching up tenants as much as possible with Unfair Contract Terms and unreasonable charges. Basically maintenance, repairs and customer service take a back seat (after the property is let of course) and if they actually employed the staff needed to run the business properly, such as employing a full time repairs manager, would actually make a stinking great loss.

Couple of years ago when we did actually renew we negotiated that we'would pay 3 months up front the after that monthly in order to retain the breakclause (other half made that neccessary with a big mouth :lol: ) but never received the renewal doc. The finally emailed a pdf version (after we threated not to pay the rent as there was no evidence a contract existed) with the LL sig and then the next day another email from the agent we normally dealt with saying the LL hadn't yet signed but they would sign on his behalf and sent it out to us :angry: :angry: :angry: :blink::ph34r:<_<

So either, the LL had signed and agent B lied or agent A forged a sig (rather than just sign the damned thing) and pdf it to us, I keep everything with them in writing coz I know there are going to be problems when we go.

And when we moved in they got the odd job man to fit the gas cooker :angry: , which resulted in a gas leak which went om for the 4 days or so before we actually started moving stuff in. There's a thread somewhere :angry:

Edited by zebbedee

HOLA4425

It's 5 years - the lifespan of a carpet if it's in rented accommodation.

part of the carpet in our place "melted" in the sun. it was the cheapest carpet and a landlords favourite according to the carpet man.

Landlord asked if I was going to contribute as we had left the curtains open during the day.

We had a right laugh at that one.

anyway, the landlord has now paid twice the price for a carpet...if he'd bought decent in the beginning, then it would have been cheaper.

apart from this moment, he has been a gem though..