House Price Crash Forum

Brighton Area

HOLA441

Just bought my first place after 15 years renting - 2 bed flat in Shoreham. nice and sizeable, ex council, small block, distant views of downs and the sea, quiet residential area, dated interior - 117.5k. Seemed a fair price to me. Place round the corner, v.similar kind of block, 2 bed was on for "offers in excess of 150k". Much nicer interiors etc, she'd obviously spent a fair bit making it look nice, but how much? less than 10k surely. Anyway it was on the market for "offers in excess of 140k" the other day. .

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

Also just round the corner there is that big new building development - 2 bed flats on rightmove for 140k. for 70% share, fk me that's pricing them up at 200k. They'd be all high-spec and that, but probably no bigger than mine, and they may have extortionate maintenance charges too. Presumably no one will be paying that full whack - may be a stupid question, but you can still haggle with a big developer on an individual basis right?

HOLA443

Just bought my first place after 15 years renting - 2 bed flat in Shoreham. nice and sizeable, ex council, small block, distant views of downs and the sea, quiet residential area, dated interior - 117.5k. Seemed a fair price to me. Place round the corner, v.similar kind of block, 2 bed was on for "offers in excess of 150k". Much nicer interiors etc, she'd obviously spent a fair bit making it look nice, but how much? less than 10k surely. Anyway it was on the market for "offers in excess of 140k" the other day. .

how are you finding shoreham ? Do you have kids ? do you know anything of the schools round there ?

• 2 weeks later...
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

Imagine hearing them tagging all night. Spraycans being thrown around. Awful. You'd be worried about getting duffed up every time you walked out the door. And if you do get duffed up, you'd go to hospital only to find no one available to deal with you cos of the upcoming £20 million cuts to the Brighton health system.

Merry Christmas!

• 2 weeks later...
HOLA447

If these get snapped up, at the price they are asking, perhaps we should all just give up? There is simply nothing, in terms of shops, restaurants, cafes, anything of interest, in that area that justifies the price. The developer has made the room sizes too small as can be gauged by how stuffed the place looks with the develop's hilariously awful furniture in it. Would foreign investors really pile in to the **** end of Hove at these prices at this stage in the global economic game? Or for the same price would they be best off investing elsewhere? Would any investor see a decent enough return from renting one of them?

Your thoughts dear Bright onions?

HOLA448

If these get snapped up, at the price they are asking, perhaps we should all just give up? There is simply nothing, in terms of shops, restaurants, cafes, anything of interest, in that area that justifies the price. The developer has made the room sizes too small as can be gauged by how stuffed the place looks with the develop's hilariously awful furniture in it. Would foreign investors really pile in to the **** end of Hove at these prices at this stage in the global economic game? Or for the same price would they be best off investing elsewhere? Would any investor see a decent enough return from renting one of them?

Your thoughts dear Bright onions?

its a very nicely done place in a fairly central location. its price is a bit more than the old college house flats of similar size, which is the best thing I can think to compare it to, but they're in a slightly better area (the level isn't right outside)

You'd not do well to BTL them - high end properties never rent for as much as the mortgauge (which would be in the region of 3-4k/month). however I suspect someone will buy them - quite a quick commute up to london (near aldrington station) so I guess the money might come down from there?

in other brighton news, they're just finishing off a row of housing in bevendean road (off bear road). I think its 10-12 new houses. The last batch (of 6) that they put up there were listed at 300k each, and sold for £285k on average - very small 4 bed houses, all sold to btl'ers. I'm happy stuff is still being built, but I expect the new batch will go the same way.

I just had my place valued by a rics surveyer for a remortgauge. They didn't even bother driving by (i guess they just did a quick search online). came back at 5% more than I paid in 2008. I guess if thats what people are allowed to borrow, thats what things will be worth..

HOLA449

its a very nicely done place in a fairly central location. its price is a bit more than the old college house flats of similar size, which is the best thing I can think to compare it to, but they're in a slightly better area (the level isn't right outside)

You'd not do well to BTL them - high end properties never rent for as much as the mortgauge (which would be in the region of 3-4k/month). however I suspect someone will buy them - quite a quick commute up to london (near aldrington station) so I guess the money might come down from there?

in other brighton news, they're just finishing off a row of housing in bevendean road (off bear road). I think its 10-12 new houses. The last batch (of 6) that they put up there were listed at 300k each, and sold for £285k on average - very small 4 bed houses, all sold to btl'ers. I'm happy stuff is still being built, but I expect the new batch will go the same way.

I just had my place valued by a rics surveyer for a remortgauge. They didn't even bother driving by (i guess they just did a quick search online). came back at 5% more than I paid in 2008. I guess if thats what people are allowed to borrow, thats what things will be worth..

So let's see if these tiny roomed, greedy developer's conversions sell at £650k, shall we?

You can get a lot more for your money for that price.

HOLA4410

its a very nicely done place in a fairly central location.

Fairly central? :unsure:

Okay I guess if you work on one of the industrial estates and not too far from Aldrington Stn. as mentioned...

Unless you mean it's in about the most central place inbetween the two main arterties onto the Old Shoreham road. Or any of the A roads... Wouldn't call that a benefit though, rather a pain in the ****.

Aaanyway yes, while we're in Brighton fairytale-land they're about 300 grand too much (although in a sane world 500K too much)

HOLA4411

shocked beyond belief .. for that money in brighton you start to buy houses not crappy flats in old factories....

HOLA4412
HOLA4413

heh I thought that would get some responses..

let me clarify a few things..

'fairly central' - its about a 5 min walk from that pedestrianised bit of hove, with shops/cafes and so on.

value for money - well, its not cheap. but it's not priced that unreasonably when you compare it to other things on the market (I'm not saying the market is where it should be, just saying, for where the market is..) for instance

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-34407236.html

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-29474308.html

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-35413952.html

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-35214398.html

they were just a quick search for stuff worth 500-700k in the area. Some of those places are bigger than the houses in question (note, they're not flats) - some are smaller. But I'd imagine at this kinda price range, you're not after the biggest house you can get if you go for any of these? I guess its a question of taste - for £600k you can get a converted old building (remember, the argus lofts and the old college house sold out fairly quickly), a traditional semi, a sea view regency flat, what looks like a new build house, or a flat whose only selling point appears to be the fact you can change the light colour in the bathroom.

600k seems like a lot of money but its the law of diminishing returns in a city. for £150k you can get a 1 bed flat, 200k a 2 bed flat, 300k a terrace 3 bed house, but up from there its a lot more vague..

Would I buy one? no, I don't have 600k, and if I did, I'd rather somewhere with a bigger garden, but I wouldn't say that no-one will. Will they get £650k? probably not. will they get £550k? I would expect they will fairly easily.

HOLA4414

Will someone really pay £650000 to live near the shabby soft play centre Westows and the unedifying, concreted over Stoneham park? :blink: That's a bleak part of town.

Wouldn't describe it as bleak. Stoneham Park does feel like more of a London inner city feel than Hove Park for example, but the area itself is nice enough and has a great sense of community. I visited a friend there last week and was struck by the number of more upmarket shops on what used to be a pretty unremarkable stretch of Portland Rd. Maybe it's more surprising it didn't happen earlier given all the posh houses towards new church rd.

Agree that those apartments are well overpriced. Plenty of better alternatives for that sort if money.

HOLA4415

The interiors don't look that great to me - they appear cramped and don't blend with the building at all. If you're going to pay 650k for one of those then the interiors have to be spot on to make up for the lack of space.

I'm guessing you bought your house towards the beginning of 2008 otherwise I'd expect it to have increased in value by a bit more.

Edited by LiveAndLetBuy

HOLA4416

yeah I brought in feb, having agreed a price in sept 2007 then re-negociated it in Jan. Its probably gone up by more than that (has new bathroom, kitchen, central heating, flooring, etc etc etc) but was just surprised that the 'drive by' still rated it up 11k - would expect it to have been flat

• 1 month later...
HOLA4417

Resurrecting the Brighton thread - I just had to post this :

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-31786651.html?premiumA=true

How to sell a house? Make the first picture one of a cat, of course!

Actually, maybe it is because the house allegedly has an 'unusually large garden' (erm...25x14 feet, not metres)!

Only 415K.

Same old, same old. No doubt it will be bought by a Londoner for 399K who thinks he has a bargain as he starts the daily commute while his wife pushes her huge buggy round the baby boutiques of the North Laines (yawn). Oh, and give it about 2 years and they will move out to Hurstpierpoint or somewhere similarly twee, with a garden for the children and a pretty, rural school that needs a 4x4 to get to...

Jaded, moi?

HOLA4418

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-31786651.html?premiumA=true

Actually, maybe it is because the house allegedly has an 'unusually large garden' (erm...25x14 feet, not metres)!

Only 415K.

Same old, same old. No doubt it will be bought by a Londoner for 399K who thinks he has a bargain as he starts the daily commute while his wife pushes her huge buggy round the baby boutiques of the North Laines (yawn). Oh, and give it about 2 years and they will move out to Hurstpierpoint or somewhere similarly twee, with a garden for the children and a pretty, rural school that needs a 4x4 to get to...

Jaded, moi?

Wry laughter. Those effin buggies. That Starbucks / giraffe / wagamama near the library full of them every lunchtime. But not enough schools places . . .

• 2 weeks later...
HOLA4419

Wry laughter. Those effin buggies. That Starbucks / giraffe / wagamama near the library full of them every lunchtime. But not enough schools places . . .

Same as it ever was......

I don't want to go to Brighton

Dogs on strings, bad art, pretentious restaurants and a raging inferiority complex about London. Why on earth are disillusioned urbanites exiling themselves to Brighton?

Sunday 07 June 1998

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/i-dont-want-to-go-to-brighton-1163314.html?fb_action_ids=373022969390155%2C10150510539076326%2C373011696057949%2C10150536366449227&fb_action_types=news.reads&fb_source=other_multiline#access_token=AAADWQ6323IoBAF1GZCZAqe6vNFSaEMdQWJ5yVhgE7ZBZCiwPYZAeiUWrSHP9Txe3kqz2XJJSOKAebTkGDcZCsbM3H7uZAkUrmvRgJUZBPwkEsQZDZD&expires_in=5351

HOLA4420

Only 415K.

Jaded, moi?

Gone under offer within days :ph34r::ph34r: WTF??? Bet they found someone prepared to pay well over asking for it as well :lol:

Edited by thirdwave

• 2 weeks later...
HOLA4421
  • 3 weeks later...
HOLA4422
HOLA4423

"Workers in Brighton and Hove earned almost £4,000 a year less than the national average last year, new figures have revealed.

Figures from the Office of National Statistics show the average worker in the city earned £21,970 in 2011 compared to £25,552 nationally."

Do you think Brighton and Hove has the highest difference between average house prices and average wage? It seems like it.

HOLA4424

Do you think Brighton and Hove has the highest difference between average house prices and average wage? It seems like it.

As soon as a town is deemed commutable from London, the gap between local wages and prices will grow. For many places this is ok since the locals can simply commute as well. The problem with Brighton is that it's a borderline commuter town where the time and cost of commuting make it viable for only a fortunate few who have high wages and/or flexible hours.

• 2 weeks later...
HOLA4425