House Price Crash Forum

I Hate This Country

daddybear

HOLA441

I hate this country

Let me explain, I am a qualified electrician am married to a psychiatric nurse and have a 19 year old son who is struggling to get a start in life

The NHS is broken

Education is broken

Politics is broken

Government is pissing money down the drains

Nimbys have taken over the asylum

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

French really

I would have thought German or Mandarin

Many Germans speak excellent English - I worked in Germany for 6 months (admittedly for IBM) and had no problem at work - even socially my schoolboy German got me by.

Besides, once you've learned one language it's easier to lean another - French is a romance language, which means it's related to Spanish, Italian, Portuguese and Romanian.

On top of which, regardless of how the GDP numbers may stack up, the French appear to have a better quality of life. I don't want my kids to move to China and live like an average Chinese person (notwithstanding China will probably look significantly different by the time they are old enough to be working).

HOLA446

I hate this country

Let me explain, I am a qualified electrician am married to a psychiatric nurse and have a 19 year old son who is struggling to get a start in life

The NHS is broken

Education is broken

Politics is broken

you forgot about moaners

HOLA447

A relative of mine is teaching English privately without TEFL.

She was interviewed by the parents and teaches them on a one to one basis....more work coming in.

Is this illegal?

Or is TEFL just another piece of paper you pay £1000 for.

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411

Fireman Sam in hot water

Apologies if this is already pposted but I listened to this being reported on the radio on the school run this morning.

You had better add me to both the "I hate this country" and "Rascist" lists.

No not at all, I forgot about that news story

BTW I am white christian male which probably puts me in the bottom 1% of those who should be listened to

HOLA4412
HOLA4413

Many Germans speak excellent English - I worked in Germany for 6 months (admittedly for IBM) and had no problem at work - even socially my schoolboy German got me by.

Besides, once you've learned one language it's easier to lean another - French is a romance language, which means it's related to Spanish, Italian, Portuguese and Romanian.

On top of which, regardless of how the GDP numbers may stack up, the French appear to have a better quality of life. I don't want my kids to move to China and live like an average Chinese person (notwithstanding China will probably look significantly different by the time they are old enough to be working).

Im (hopefully) in the process of getting back with my ex who lives in Beziers at the moment.

I won't need asking again to go over there permanently. Turned down the offer in the 90's. What a muppet.

Had a week in Paris with her in October. Mental.

I do wish i had better French.

I think the English have a perceived problem with the apparent femininity of the French language.

Especially chaps.

But nobody's gonna tell me the women aren't worth the effort.

Edited by shindigger

HOLA4414

Spanish or Chinese. No point learning anything else.

+1 Spanish

No tsure about the Chinese anymore. I've dealt with them a lot and would choose not to deal unless there were a very significant price difference which more recently seems to be much less the case.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421

Tell your son to start learning a foreign language and maybe consider doing a year in Europe doing TEFL or similar. My kids will both be doing private French lessons as soon as they hit Primary school.

Oh I get it...TEFL is a private company advertising ELT (English Language Teachers) people.

they say:" Nowadays, it is absolutely essential to have received formal training prior to embarking on your career around the world".

Essential for whom?

You dont need a TEFL to teach English.

Edited by Bloo Loo

HOLA4422

A relative of mine is teaching English privately without TEFL.

She was interviewed by the parents and teaches them on a one to one basis....more work coming in.

Is this illegal?

Or is TEFL just another piece of paper you pay £1000 for.

No, it isn't illegal and the TEFL is fairly useful. Without training you won't be able to give adequate explanations of grammar, will not understand how to teach pronunciation etc etc. How much this damages the students will depend on their age, ability etc. It is not all bad, I earned a lot of money reteaching students who learned from crap, unqualified teachers and it also made me look good by comparison. The downside was explaining to students that their old teacher teaching them to talk like a speak your weight machine was a bit of a waste of time, money and effort.

I'd imagine your relative is doing a great disservice, though is undoubtedly oblivious to the fact.

HOLA4423

No, it isn't illegal and the TEFL is fairly useful. Without training you won't be able to give adequate explanations of grammar, will not understand how to teach pronunciation etc etc. How much this damages the students will depend on their age, ability etc. It is not all bad, I earned a lot of money reteaching students who learned from crap, unqualified teachers and it also made me look good by comparison. The downside was explaining to students that their old teacher teaching them to talk like a speak your weight machine was a bit of a waste of time, money and effort.

I'd imagine your relative is doing a great disservice, though is undoubtedly oblivious to the fact.

good points, but the young people are just not progressing with their current teaching.....

Ill ask her to check it out....not sure how you can give adequate explanations of grammar without being fluent in the foreign language.

HOLA4424

I hate this country

The NHS is broken

Education is broken

Politics is broken

Psychologically, if you go and live in Sub Saharan Africa for a few weeks then you will feel much better on your return..

Some countries are doing things a lot better, but Britain is not the worst place you can be on this planet.

HOLA4425

Tell your son to start learning a foreign language and maybe consider doing a year in Europe doing TEFL or similar. My kids will both be doing private French lessons as soon as they hit Primary school.

Why not learn Gibberish instead?

They may stick you in an insane asylum. Free housing costs, free meals, etc and there are probably a lot of fairly sane people to live with in there, compared to what you get on the outside these days.