HOLA441
HOLA442

she was in sales

ha ha

gems of quotes right thru the piece:

"'Like most people I have bills to pay and a house to protect."

nope, most people actually aren't homeowners anymore actually

"will do almost anything for work"

(apart from take £6.50 per hour part time)

She writes in the advert: 'I know you may consider this approach a bit radical, but due to various levels of failure trying to register with Recruitment Agencies I find myself having to think of any way of getting a job.

'I am looking for full time employment which will give me the opportunity to use my excellent communication skills. I have established sales skills, but would consider other permanent positions for which I may be suitable.'

so far she has tried recruitment agencies and... oh that's it. And she failed.

Comms skills? Yet she has failed to comm with recruitment agencies? No positions gained thru networking?

and what other positions may she be suitable for? no comms skills there to explain this little missing detail?

you don't suppose she got away with it during the boom years by being a blagger, do you, by any chance?

classic

Edited by Si1

HOLA443
HOLA444

And there was I thinking she was taking part in the Auction of Promises on The Archers.

B)

She'll be less popular than Lynda Snell's Llamas.

Seriously though, if she has the skills she claims she has, why doesn't she strike out on her own? Buy something cheap somewhere and sell it for more money somewhere else?

The BDM/W thing in the title could be interesting...

article-2104256-11D71322000005DC-72_634x319.jpg

Edited by Diver Dan

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448

Even before the credit crunch I saw this pattern repeated - the £30-something K 'sales' or 'product manager' type that's worked their way up a bit in some nondescript company gets laid off and finds that they have no real hope of getting anywhere near that salary again anytime soon and end up having to go for 'starter' jobs again.

If they based a big mortgage on that salary, well....

HOLA449

Even before the credit crunch I saw this pattern repeated - the £30-something K 'sales' or 'product manager' type that's worked their way up a bit in some nondescript company gets laid off and finds that they have no real hope of getting anywhere near that salary again anytime soon and end up having to go for 'starter' jobs again.

the curse of the non job - private or public sector

HOLA4410

Let this be a warning to us all (an un-needed one on this site!)

If you lose your 30k job then get something which pays 8k or so pretty damn quick. If she'd have done that 2 years ago they'd now have a chance of paying the mortgage though it might be a struggle.

Maybe thousands are in the same boat as her....hpc here we come.

Edit..isn't this what that American woman talked about? (forgotton name) In the fifties and sixties if a man lost his job the wife could go out to work, maybe six months later the man would be working again. Now...

Edited by council dweller

HOLA4411

Let this be a warning to us all (an un-needed one on this site!)

If you lose your 30k job then get something which pays 8k or so pretty damn quick. If she'd have done that 2 years ago they'd now have a chance of paying the mortgage though it might be a struggle.

Maybe thousands are in the same boat as her....hpc here we come.

not being funny - but even 8k jobs these days require real skills - not sure she has any

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414

Which is why when I bought my second house (trading up not BTL) that the mortgage company wouldn't accept the minimum level of commission I had received over the previous 8 years of £25k; they would only base it on the basic of £20k. That was back in about 2000 IIRC. I suspect that has become more lax in the interim and reverted back to tighter lending since.

Not having looked at her CV so can't say I've checked it but assuming this comment it accurate, it would appear she's not a competent sales person either.

I just read her CV. I'm sorry to say, but as an employer myself, I can tell you why she is being over looked. Since 1990 (when it appears she began employment), the longest she has ever worked for one company has been 3 years and that was only two jobs).Most jobs appear to have lasted a year at a time. As an employer this immediately sets off alarm bells, I would ask myself why she has skipped from job to job. It tells me she has little staying power, and possibly even that she lacks loyalty, and will be unreliable, since she will only be working for me until something better comes along. My advice would be either lie about the length of earlier jobs, where employers will be less likely to contact them, take away some earlier ones and claim to have worked for the same company for a significant number of years. Or to immediately explain the reasons for her frequent job changing, in a way which will somehow reassure a potential employer, that she fully intends on staying loyal to them.

That is indeed the profile of a crap salesperson.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418

Sometimes people are criticised for not working. Well I guess you should only criticise people if they dont try and make their situation better.

You cannot make that accusation here. Well done for trying I say, and good luck to her.

is she really trying, or attention-seeking?

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421

Without evidence to the contrary, you have to give her the benefit of the doubt.

there is significant evidence to the contrary in my opinion - bad cv, bad salesmanship, poorly related skills, no staying power, no preparedness to live with less money, no willingness to deal with mortgage situation directly, little imagination

looking hard at your own failings is the first real effort most of us have to make in this situation, and the most useful

HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424

Despite sending out her CV to hundreds of recruiters

These days, that means little more than uploading the same Word Doc whilst sitting in front of the computer at home. Recruitment agencies are no doubt swamped with these things at the moment. It's about as minimum a level of being proactive as possible.

Back in my student days, in order to find summer work, I donned a suit and walked round to every recruitment agency in town, dropped off a copy of my CV and asked for the business card of the person I had spoken with. And then... I made a follow up visit every two days. These people got so annoyed with me harrasing them, that eventually someone would buckle and offer me a job.

A good friend graduated from uni in 2009 (not the best of times, admittedly) and applied to over 200 jobs. Didn't get a single interview. I asked him how he handled adapting his resume 200 times to highlight different strengths suitable to the 200 different positions. He just stared back at me blankly.

HOLA4425

These days, that means little more than uploading the same Word Doc whilst sitting in front of the computer at home. Recruitment agencies are no doubt swamped with these things at the moment. It's about as minimum a level of being proactive as possible.

and she says she has comms skills!?!

A good friend graduated from uni in 2009 (not the best of times, admittedly) and applied to over 200 jobs. Didn't get a single interview. I asked him how he handled adapting his resume 200 times to highlight different strengths suitable to the 200 different positions. He just stared back at me blankly.

ditto