39 replies to this topic

#16 worzel

worzel

HPC Scarecrow

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,999 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 10:04 AM

Is this free publicity for HPC actually a big thank you from the Times?

HPC must generate a lot of hits for the Times' website through the news blog links.

More likely a thanks you for being the origin of all their bearish stories and giving some constructive feedback on the crap that they were churning out.
Posted from my
Macbookwheel

#17 Tin Foil Hat

Tin Foil Hat

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,598 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 10:06 AM

My last post.

It appears so. Gutted.

TFH

#18 AteMoose

AteMoose

INTJ <- No S :(

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,515 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 10:07 AM

http://business.time...icle5375501.ece

When 25-year-old Brendan McLoughlin bought the obscure website three years ago the only visitors were a few doomsayers warning that the end was nigh for the house-price boom. Now, as property values nosedive, the controversial news and discussion website is attracting 50,000 hits a day and revenue of more than £300,000 from advertisers including Sky, Virgin and BT.

Two things..

It feels like HPC is a little less popular than it was three years ago
300k? Really? I would guess the revenue wouldn't be anywhere near as as much, we get ALOT of hits but people on forums tend to ignore ads.
I have bought a newish (5 years) house in November 2006. I talked the vendor down 30% off peak 2004 price am am paying less than the 2002 price. I feel prices will continue to drop down to the 2001 price but saving for 5 years hopefully means i wont be stung. The price i am paying isn't much above the price the vendor paid for the place when it was new in 2000. However some idiot is trying to flog an identical house on my road for 55k above the price i paid, one month later!?!?! The housing market is frothy, no-one ever knows what the value of a house is, the value is what someone is willing to pay, make sure you pay alot less than the asking price.

Free to collect, like ebay but you dont pay, you just have to collect

QUOTE (sledgehead)If you make a living from something, you are a professional something: it is your profession. You could bake dog turds and flog them as ornaments. If that's how you make your living, you ARE a professional dog-turd baker. Period
QUOTE (Rolling Stone 13th July 2000)The first thing you need to know about Goldman Sachs is that it's everywhere. The world's most powerful investment bank is a great vampire squid wrapped around the face of humanity, relentlessly jamming its blood funnel into anything that smells like money.

QUOTE (Soon Not a Chain Retailer @ Aug 30 2009, 01:03 AM) Society should provide trampolines not safety nets.

QUOTE (GordonBrown Jan 27 2008 (warning about the coming inflation?))if you don't get the skills you wont get a job
if you get the skills you will earn ALOT of money

#19 Giordano Bruno

Giordano Bruno

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,020 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 10:14 AM

She's trying to profit from rises and you are trying to profit from drops.....................morals?........my @rse!

Why should I want to spend a ridiculously inflated price for a shoe box when I know that a bubble is in progress and is now burst and is deflating? Some of us would just like to put a secure roof over our heads and to see sensible house prices. It is not immoral not to want to throw money into a pit!

----------------- ********************** -----------------

Regarding QE I think that Fiat Money Inflation in France is worth a read.

Property prices only ever go up ... except, of course, when they stay the same or when they come down.

You can go wrong with bricks and mortar.

The banksters need their lovely fat bonuses. The taxpayer has to pay.
Never mind, Taxpayer. Think of it as an exercise in generosity.

Profits will be privatized and losses will be socialized. - Thanks a bunch!

For educated opinion on the Kercher murder case, please read 'Injustice in Perugia' by Bruce Fisher and 'The Monster of Perugia' by Mark Waterbury.
RIP Meredith Kercher.

Friends of Amanda Knox

#20 Bloo Loo

Bloo Loo

Ripened on the Diversity Vine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 52,865 posts
  • About Me:Im Bloo yabba dee yabba die.

Posted 21 December 2008 - 10:22 AM

Why should I want to spend a ridiculously inflated price for a shoe box when I know that a bubble is in progress and is now burst and is deflating? Some of us would just like to put a secure roof over our heads and to see sensible house prices. It is not immoral not to want to throw money into a pit!

Its worse than a morality issue.

the whole kit and caboodle of lending and spending is the ENTIRE BASIS for Browns Miracle economy....need proof: just ask yourself if the credit crunch is having an effect on the economy.

The encouragement to extend yourself to the max by implying the whole "leverage to buy" issue was an investment that couldnt fail has come from government, banks, brokers, developers, pyramid schemes, FSA, and just about everyone who benefitted from the whole Ponzi scam.

Those who will end up paying are just discovering the fact.

NOT ONE person who STRd has encouraged the entire nation to do so. There is no FSA turning a blind eye to STR, there are no companies offering to do all the work to get you on an STR "road to riches".
WARNING

Your
country is at risk
if you
do not keep up repayments
on a gilt or other loan secured on it

#21 bkkandrew

bkkandrew

HPC Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 496 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 10:29 AM

It appears so. Gutted.

TFH

Yes, with the move to Thailand, he has moved to a Thai-based forum...

#22 porca misèria

porca misèria

Porcine Aviation Enterprises

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,434 posts
  • About Me:pig

Posted 21 December 2008 - 10:41 AM

David Staples (not, of course, my real name), Sheffield, United Kingdom posted some telling comments I thought. ;)

A thread from someone who pulled out of Northern Rock in 2005?

Guess it's way too late to point to October 2006, when I only just resisted the temptation of Icesave's too-good-to-be-true rate and opened a new building society account instead for the money in question. But that was long before my time at HPC.

#23 R K

R K

I live on HPC!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,062 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 10:47 AM

£300,000!

Where's my commission then Brendan?

"The problem with capitalism is that eventually you end up with everyone else's money" RK
"We have now entered The Great Rebalancing 2007-20xx" - RK
"Gold will go to $1000, Silver to $18" - RK August 2011
QE £100bn and build 1m council homes - RK
Carney announces the launch of Empire 2.0 - Rise of the Banksters Oct '13

#24 Cogs

Cogs

HPC Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,245 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 10:47 AM

A rather negative write-up from The Times.
Still, good to know the office has had the pleasure of discovering our comments about their laughably useless commentators.
All the more galling that they will realise we were always correct and they were always, always dead wrong.

If you are reading: Merry Christmas Anne, Brick Chicks (didn't last long did it) et al, looking forward to ridiculing your nonsense in 2009!
Meet The Spy
"I don't think we will see house price falls. I just see no reason for it".Andrew Weir, Foxtons, 19th of January 2008

#25 Fed Up

Fed Up

HPC Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 462 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 11:01 AM

TV presenter Kirstie Allsopp of Channel 4’s Location, Location, Location has described the site as “sick”.

“There is a website called Housepricecrash and I am their deadliest enemy,” she said earlier this year. “They all rent and have a vested interest and enjoyment in watching others suffer

Which is where Allsopp is wrong on all counts.

• Plenty of us don't 'hate' her, we simply don't care for her or any of her ilk.
  • We are not all renters, many of us are owners seeking to trade up at sensible (ie pre-bubble) levels
  • We mostly have an interest in protecting our savings and we are trying to prevent other people suffering due to losing their savings through inflation, devaluation, bailouts or being suckered into the Ponzi pyramid schemes that she promotes.
HPC is defending the interests of the genuinely financially prudent against the profligate borrow-and-spenders who have both bankrupted Britain and encouraged many individuals to bankrupt themselves.

I'd happily engage in a financial discussion with her and destroy all her arguments.

#26 Wol

Wol

HPC Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 11:02 AM

Who posted as "Delroy, from Brixton"? :D That brought back memories.

#27 hilltop

hilltop

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,797 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 11:03 AM

Allsop is only one of the Times regulars who hate us. Add in David Smith, Anne Ashworth and that awful woman who was always promoting Buy to Let ( I will not name her because to do so feeds her vanity). We are right, the Times has been wrong, but is now undergoing a conversion. Will it now scrap its property supplements? They are about as relevant to ordinary people as magazines on ocean racing.

#28 porca misèria

porca misèria

Porcine Aviation Enterprises

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,434 posts
  • About Me:pig

Posted 21 December 2008 - 11:08 AM

Where are you looking?

West Devon (I currently live in Tavistock). Anything interesting goes on my blog.

#29 guitarman001

guitarman001

HPC Guru

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,908 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 11:40 AM

Don't see why it's 'sick' to be a pessimist... the property ramping's been equally sick. Hard-nosed realism IS what the forum is about. The ramping has contributed to the collapse of the entire economy. I hate this spin... people have to wake up and realise that times aren't always good, and it's not a crime to be a bit of a pessimist. Free speech and all that. Allslop's just worried her income's taking a nose-dive.

#30 the end is a bit nigher

the end is a bit nigher

I am NOT Anthea Turner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,512 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 11:47 AM

Well, I submitted a comment as 'The end is nigh' from housepricecrash.co.uk but they haven't published it.
Ok, we were right all along. It doesn't make the resulting outcome any less uncomfortable though.

Gold is a metal, not a currency. Gold is denominated in dollars. It's price in other currencies is related to the dollar exchange rate with those currencies.

Nothing I have stated above should be taken as financial advice as I am not qualified or authorised to provide financial advice other than to myself

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users