West Dulwich

kuntama

HOLA441
  • Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
Does anyone know what's happening to prices (sales/rentals) in the West Dulwich area?

As far as I can tell, none of the landlords have dropped their prices.

I live in between east and west dulwich and haven't noticed much going on. However, i'm pretty sure prices are going down for both!!!

I don't think prices went up as much as other nice areas of London though...?

HOLA443

Over the past year 10 - 15% has come off houses in the 300 - 600 zone. Nothing is moving and nothing is selling but falls have yet to get serious. It's a limp Mexican stand-off at the moment. About to tip over in to blind panic though...my peer group (30 something professionals, a lot of them in finance) are being laid off left, right and centre and are seriously worried.

GT

HOLA444

Have been watching this area closely for the past 18 months. Prices are dropping massively.

Have seen lots of big drops on nice houses. Up to 20% at least. The number of things on the market has dropped a lot though.

An estate agent told me offers that are coming in are low, low, low. I went to see a wreck in Dulwich for high 800s. Offers were coming in about 500 apparently. Nice!

HOLA445

Mate of mine had an agency in West Dulwich, sold it a little while back and reliable informed that in the last three months they sold just SIX properties ie 2 properties per month.

West Dulwich is completely dead there will be absolute carnage after Christmas

HOLA446

I follow these areas closely and nothing is shifting.

You can spot desperate sellers by the rate at which the prices fall. It seems that the upper end is struggling the most, which doesn't surprise me one bit. A lot of overpaid people round there.

Auctions have _no_ sales from these areas as the sellers can probably shift before it gets that far or absorb the pain, or try and rent out.

Rental values are falling fast though, especially at the higher end. :)

HOLA447

I'm negotiating with a potential landlord and he is refusing to go below 6% Do you think this is not low enough? Dukes of Hazard could you hazard a response? keen to know what you think. Unfortunately, at present no other acceptable 4 bed properties around

HOLA448
I'm negotiating with a potential landlord and he is refusing to go below 6% Do you think this is not low enough? Dukes of Hazard could you hazard a response? keen to know what you think. Unfortunately, at present no other acceptable 4 bed properties around

How much are you offering for the place? Key features?

It's up to you really, DYOR.

I offered the full money for my current place but I already thought it was a steal and liked the landlord (who owned the place outright). It wasn't a 4-bed though.

HOLA449

I have no idea who in their right mind would pay £1 MILLION for a property in Dulwich, unless it was a mansion (and I haven't seen that many of them around).

Having said that, I know semi-detatched Victorian semis have gone for OVER £1 MILLION on the road that I live on.

Who are these people that bought these places, and where on earth did they get the money from?!?!?

Dulwich IS NOT CHELSEA OR RICHMOND/KEW BY ANY STRETCH OF THE IMAGINATION!!!

HOLA4410
I have no idea who in their right mind would pay £1 MILLION for a property in Dulwich, unless it was a mansion (and I haven't seen that many of them around).

Having said that, I know semi-detatched Victorian semis have gone for OVER £1 MILLION on the road that I live on.

Who are these people that bought these places, and where on earth did they get the money from?!?!?

Dulwich IS NOT CHELSEA OR RICHMOND/KEW BY ANY STRETCH OF THE IMAGINATION!!!

Totally. It sees itself as a superior, more old-money place. It's just as far up it's own 4rse as Notting Hill is, just in a different way. My train is full of lawyers who talk too loudly on their phones as if everyone else is of no importance.

But I used to live in Camberwell, and that was worse.

Where did they get the money from though? There can't be that many people earning 250K a year, surely?

HOLA4411
How much are you offering for the place? Key features?

It's up to you really, DYOR.

I offered the full money for my current place but I already thought it was a steal and liked the landlord (who owned the place outright). It wasn't a 4-bed though.

It's almost on top of w dulwich station , 4 beds, 2 baths, tiny kitchen and is in pretty good condition. Was on for £1750. God this is painful, but gotta do what I gotta do. No other options at the moment. Sad. I think house prices will crash horribly in this area. But guess what, ordinary Joe Bloggs will be excluded from getting a mortgage or be unable to put the substantive deposits down. F-----d if you do, f----d if you don't.

I'm seriously bored with this economic tsunami.

Nobody is going to come out of this one unscathed.

HOLA4412
It's almost on top of w dulwich station , 4 beds, 2 baths, tiny kitchen and is in pretty good condition. Was on for £1750. God this is painful, but gotta do what I gotta do. No other options at the moment. Sad. I think house prices will crash horribly in this area. But guess what, ordinary Joe Bloggs will be excluded from getting a mortgage or be unable to put the substantive deposits down. F-----d if you do, f----d if you don't.

I'm seriously bored with this economic tsunami.

Nobody is going to come out of this one unscathed.

1750 isn't bad. Have you property-beed it? I'd offer 1600 and see how you go?

HOLA4413
1750 isn't bad. Have you property-beed it? I'd offer 1600 and see how you go?

ONE THOUSAND SEVEN HUNDRED AND FIFTY POUNDS IS 'NOT BAD' ?!?!??!?!

:o

Anyway, went for a walk & bike ride in Dulwich Park today and then had lunch in Pizza Express in Dulwich Village... a very nice day for Mr & Mrs Sherwick!

:)

HOLA4414
ONE THOUSAND SEVEN HUNDRED AND FIFTY POUNDS IS 'NOT BAD' ?!?!??!?!

:o

Anyway, went for a walk & bike ride in Dulwich Park today and then had lunch in Pizza Express in Dulwich Village... a very nice day for Mr & Mrs Sherwick!

:)

While you were there I was on the same road being told by an old lady that "you have to be black and working class to get into Oxford these days". I don't know what was more disturbing: her thinking this at all; her thinking I'd think this was acceptable; or that we were in a church hall.

That's Dulwich for ya.

HOLA4415
While you were there I was on the same road being told by an old lady that "you have to be black and working class to get into Oxford these days". I don't know what was more disturbing: her thinking this at all; her thinking I'd think this was acceptable; or that we were in a church hall.

That's Dulwich for ya.

Luckily, that doesn't happen in my CoE Church Hall in Dulwich :o

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
  • 4 weeks later...
HOLA4418
HOLA4419

dulwich is a better commute to the city than kew, or richmond.

however there are fewer properties. the nicer ones are facing the school playing fields/golf cllub & are closer to Sydenham station.

I think that section is a toll/private road (college road). fire up google maps & look up Sydenham hill station & look for the swimming pools in the gardens. kind of like a mini moor park.

HOLA4420

Court Lane is very nice on the border of Dulwich Park. There is an enclave of large terraces between Dulwich Park and Alleyn's School which some owners are trying to flog for up to £1m.

There is a whole stretch of mansion-esque properties on Dulwich Village itself. The patch west of Dulwich Village towards Burbage Road is uniformly nice too.

As you move further east into East Dulwich and on to Lordship Lane, the terraced housing stock becomes noticably smaller and slightly poorer quality (my local agent says that most of their terraced rental properties have some sort of damp issue), although still better than much of zone 1 and 2.

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
ta all.

Pickwick Road properties look very small though, with tiny gardens...

There's a significant uplift with two factors, namely:

- the primary schools are fantastic in Dulwich Village, so everyone tries to live as close to the schools as possible (we are going to rent near as possible ourselves)

- the "snob value" of living in the main village streets themselves

The houses are very good quality, but it's worse than Kensington/Notting Hill for self-conscious superiority. It's up itself, in other words.

I prefer Herne Hill myself, but then I'm a chippy inverse snob when it suits :)

• 3 weeks later...
HOLA4423
HOLA4424
  • 2 weeks later...
HOLA4425