#91 MOP

MOP

Goodbye Green Shoots, though I never...knew you at all

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,034 posts

Posted 11 November 2008 - 02:48 PM

the poor man's Eammon Holmes does a lot of that

unlike someone like James Whale who (like him or not) has a definite opinion, Nolan just swings back and forth, in a pathetic attempt to try and annoy the listeners.

I miss James Whale. He is only on London radio now i think.
The Sibley Thread Bomb - A How-To Guide

Contsruct: Put together between three and seven well-spaced lines of OTT blind optimism. Steer well clear of economics and stick to spurious anecdotals and the odd wild prediction. Finish off with "I told you so". Maximum impact, minimum detail. Nice!
Target: Find a thread with plenty of action going on. A "green shoots" thread is preferable, but any thread started by a fellow Bull usually works. If Harry Monk is there, even better!
Deploy: When it's least expected, throw the thread bomb into the target area and quickly move to a safe distance. Watch the thread bomb go off and create chaos among the Bears. Wait a while, then throw another one in for good measure. Job done.

"Mr Brown does still keep in touch with Prudence, but only via a Ouija board." - Jeff Randall April 09

#92 Killer Bunny

Killer Bunny

Twitterati

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,811 posts
  • About Me:I love - love I tell you - Twitter

Posted 11 November 2008 - 06:53 PM

I miss James Whale. He is only on London radio now i think.

IIRC it's Talksport

In 1931 they did not know yet that they were in The Great Depression
Cap'n, you cannae change the laws of... Economics!
"If they raise rates we're toast. If they don't its BECAUSE we're toast" Pundit: Sky News March 2011
"That which is unsustainable will not sustain" Milton Friedman

#93 MOP

MOP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,034 posts

Posted 11 November 2008 - 07:30 PM

IIRC it's Talksport

Sadly he was sacked from Talksport earlier this year. For being too anti-Broon. Labour had him kicked off air.

Contsruct: Put together between three and seven well-spaced lines of OTT blind optimism. Steer well clear of economics and stick to spurious anecdotals and the odd wild prediction. Finish off with "I told you so". Maximum impact, minimum detail. Nice!
Target: Find a thread with plenty of action going on. A "green shoots" thread is preferable, but any thread started by a fellow Bull usually works. If Harry Monk is there, even better!
Deploy: When it's least expected, throw the thread bomb into the target area and quickly move to a safe distance. Watch the thread bomb go off and create chaos among the Bears. Wait a while, then throw another one in for good measure. Job done.

"Mr Brown does still keep in touch with Prudence, but only via a Ouija board." - Jeff Randall April 09

#94 drrayjo

drrayjo

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,824 posts

Posted 11 November 2008 - 07:38 PM

Good performance in NI there
"‘Historically, societies that seek high levels of instant gratification and are willing to borrow against future incomes to achieve it have more often than not suffered inflation and stagnation. The economies of such societies tend to run larger government deficits financed with fiat money from a printing press.

Eventually, the ensuing inflation leads to a recession or worse, often because central banks are forced to clamp down...I regret that the US may not be wholly immune to it."

Alan Greenspan in "The Age of Turbulence: Adventures in a New World", 2007.

"It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it"

Upton Sinclair

#95 juvenal

juvenal

I live on HPC!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,554 posts

Posted 11 November 2008 - 08:11 PM

Solid performance from FP once again.

Putting to one side Nolan's constant shouting, and hectoring 'pub bore' manner, his cheap attempt to curry favour with the home crowd by painting FP as an almost anti-Ireland outsider was about the most transparent bit of crowd pleasing I've seen in a long time.

The EA was a joke. Housing is affordable one moment - but once a young female would-be FTB phones in and says its not - he agrees!. Cheap suit, cheap guy.

Well done, FP.
'And while I live, no fool or noble knave
Shall walk this world, in credit, to his grave..'

'The pension system has been a very nice gravy train for all of those involved except for those paying into it.'

'Let's see if we can get it for the asking price..' Kirstie Allsop

"Be under no illusion. You will not escape the net..." S'rAlan Sugar

Sex, drugs and sausage rolls...

The House of Lords: 'The Ermine Vermin....'

#96 Bearfacts

Bearfacts

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,326 posts

Posted 11 November 2008 - 08:45 PM

Class job FP. I made that 5-0 to you. I was thinking just the other day that it had been a long time since you graced our televison screens. Any more apparances in the pipeline or has comrade Brown banned you from the airwaves ?

Just one thought - if you get a chance could you counter the doom and gloom angle ? Its so often repeated without question that people really do believe that falling houseprices = doom and gloom. Judging by the balance of calls and texts into the studio I think the majority of people want prices to come down further.

#97 the_duke_of_hazzard_left

the_duke_of_hazzard_left

HPC Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,552 posts

Posted 11 November 2008 - 08:51 PM

Class job FP. I made that 5-0 to you. I was thinking just the other day that it had been a long time since you graced our televison screens. Any more apparances in the pipeline or has comrade Brown banned you from the airwaves ?

Just one thought - if you get a chance could you counter the doom and gloom angle ? Its so often repeated without question that people really do believe that falling houseprices = doom and gloom. Judging by the balance of calls and texts into the studio I think the majority of people want prices to come down further.

I disagree - FP is doing a great job and "countering" may be counter-productive. His refusal to take the bait and lose control is very much in his favour. I think if he says anything it should be something like, "Call me what you like, I'm only interested in getting it right."

Interestingly, the audience seemed a lot smarter and switched on than the idiots that were phoning in, the presenter (who seems very good at what he does, odious tho it is...), and the incoherent EA.

#98 renterbob

renterbob

HPC Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,425 posts

Posted 11 November 2008 - 11:14 PM

Just watched the show on iplayer.

The Nolan was a disgusting host, FP was treat terribly. Pathetic.

And the caller saying he was disgusted with FPs predictions....

The EA was a total loony.

FP is too good for garbage like that.
'I was convinced that the shere size of the global housing bubble would bring everything down when it collapsed and that we would end up in a very severe recession.'
'I have long held that the HPC would see at east 50% off house prices. I recently revised this to 60%. Why so dramatic? Again, another no-brainer'
RealistBear Oct 24, 2008

#99 MOP

MOP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,034 posts

Posted 11 November 2008 - 11:31 PM

Just watched the show on iplayer.

The Nolan was a disgusting host, FP was treat terribly. Pathetic.

And the caller saying he was disgusted with FPs predictions....

The EA was a total loony.

FP is too good for garbage like that.

Terrible. He told Nolan a year ago what would happen and Nolan is still following the same line as he did then. He should be saying "How did you know this would happen?" and "Thank you for warning us about this". Instead he just reverts to "It is people like you that caused this!" and "Do not dare slag off my country!".

Edited by Master Of Puppets, 11 November 2008 - 11:32 PM.

#100 the_duke_of_hazzard_left

the_duke_of_hazzard_left

HPC Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,552 posts

Posted 12 November 2008 - 09:34 AM

Terrible. He told Nolan a year ago what would happen and Nolan is still following the same line as he did then. He should be saying "How did you know this would happen?" and "Thank you for warning us about this". Instead he just reverts to "It is people like you that caused this!" and "Do not dare slag off my country!".

Don't get annoyed, you're playing into his hands. His job is to rile you by taking up contrary positions, and he does it well. He was pretty abrasive with the EA too, and even with the audience - did you see him laugh at the guy who bought two properties last year!?

#101 uptherebels

uptherebels

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,722 posts

Posted 12 November 2008 - 07:17 PM

Just watched the show. Well done FP for staying calm with Nolan on one side of you and the EA on the other. I think it was a fair discussion, and the messages accross the bottom of the screen said it all really.

#102 isellrice

isellrice

HPC Newbie

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 12 November 2008 - 09:03 PM

Just watched this on iplayer - great job FP!

#103 heatonfan

heatonfan

HPC Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 113 posts
  • About Me:Stockport County FC; golf; investment.

Posted 12 November 2008 - 11:19 PM

At least you are Scottish so will get away with it. Might be useful to point out that prices for larger houses in towns like Newtownards and Bangor nevermind the better bits of Belfast were getting close to the same levels as Alderley Edge in Cheshire or nice parts of southern England where the average income is probably three times higher.

I am from NI originally and have relatives still over and hear hilarious/bizarre/sad stories about the last three years. NI was truly dot.com in its silliness.

Thanks for getting my little point in FP! Gave me a big cheshire grin when I watched it on Iplayer. And though Nolan really didn't like the point, it is utterly true, as the ridiculous £3.4m house in Malone in Belfast cited earlier on this thread and marketed by your EA opponent on the show demonstrates. I live in Bramhall and the same house would have an asking price at between £1.5m to £1.75m at absolute tops. Bramhall is a good equivalent of Malone, and I would think has equivalent average earnings. In a rational economic setting, Malone house prices wouldn't get anywhere near Alderley Edge/Prestbury, and I have serious doubts as to whether the equivalent house in Alderley Edge would have an asking price near the Malone house mentioned above. Just shows how ridiculous NI is.

I don't think Nolan was that aggressive actually - that is just his manner and anyone who watches the show (as I do when visiting family back home) knows that and would take his challenges with a pinch of salt.

Nolan did point out that young FTB couples were delighted with prices falling and that they didn't care about developers and banks. He also read out loads of bearish texts. Took the piss out of the lad who bought 2 houses. I think he was very fair overall. An NI presenter can just be a bit more lively than the staid brit equivalent ;)

The EA would have been taken for what he was by NI people - making the best of a bad job.

Oh, just one little thing... your specs are probably very expensive, but a bit shiny for TV.... really :blink:

Overall, I thought it was a win for HPC, but suspect that a live studio audience is less your forte than a one on one interview with a dedicated news journalist. A live studio audience format is much more difficult than some of the usual harpers who criticise on here could possibly imagine.
QUOTE (Young Goat @ Dec 2 2008, 04:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Of course the problem is the bubble has been going on for so long now that people have forgotten how cheap they used to be.

#104 indebted

indebted

HPC Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 12:45 PM

Just watched it on iplayer - well done FP!

You managed to stay calm and collected. When you pointed out that falls of 50% were predicted a year ago and that 30% falls had happened already the EA looked a tad pale! :lol: I notice that the EA did not have a response for that little piece of info!

The ignorant caller was probably a little feckwit fed up with people viewing his property and only putting in "silly/insulting" offers :lol: They don't like it when they can't find another greater fool!

Well done FP!
Don't breed or buy - love a rescue pet!

What happens in the dark always comes to light!

#105 mr slump

mr slump

HPC Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 998 posts

Posted 04 January 2009 - 07:14 PM

a gift for anyone who watched this
very funny

http://www.belfastte...8595.html?r=RSS

“If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it. The lie can be maintained only for such time as the State can shield the people from the political, economic and/or military consequences of the lie. It thus becomes vitally important for the State to use all of its powers to repress dissent, for the truth is the mortal enemy of the lie, and thus by extension, the truth is the greatest enemy of the State.”

Joseph Goebbels

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users