House Price Crash Forum

Reading

Olivier

HOLA441
On 10/10/2017 at 5:51 PM, 27pence said:

This two bed terraced is on the market for £239950. It sold for £210,000 on the 31st March 2017. The property has not been updated at all, but brief owners believe the property has earned 30K in six months.:lol:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-62153197.html

Sadly, it appears to be the pretty much the cheapest house in Reading.  Things are still being pretty sh*t but I am honestly seeing more "For Rent" and "For Sale" signs, even though the kites are flying higher and higher.

• Replies 728
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

Definitely starting to see some 10% reductions in and around Reading i.e. Caversham/Wokingham, it's the pace of reductions that's interesting, as though there's a bit of a rush:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-69312443.html

£499,950 -> £475,000 -> £455,000 in just 12 days.

Still insane prices but when you think nothing has REALLY drastically changed in the economy recently and yet we're seeing these kind of reductions pick up pace, how hard does it fall from here on?

• 1 month later...
HOLA443

More of the same thing Ive been flagging up.

https://www.ft.com/content/ebe08914-d6bc-11e7-8c9a-d9c0a5c8d5c9

'Facebook to recruit 800 staff for new London office'

Growing tech companies are not considering the Thames valley.

Software jobs are high paying now that they are moving to London and no SW wants to move to M4 corridor.

M4 has the companies like HP, MS, both of which are shedding the higher paying jobs.

HOLA444
2 hours ago, spyguy said:

More of the same thing Ive been flagging up.

https://www.ft.com/content/ebe08914-d6bc-11e7-8c9a-d9c0a5c8d5c9

'Facebook to recruit 800 staff for new London office'

Growing tech companies are not considering the Thames valley.

Software jobs are high paying now that they are moving to London and no SW wants to move to M4 corridor.

M4 has the companies like HP, MS, both of which are shedding the higher paying jobs.

Yep - MS are having a clear out. Some offices are halving in size I suspect TVP won't as no one will want it...

HOLA445
1 minute ago, Houdini said:

Yep - MS are having a clear out. Some offices are halving in size I suspect TVP won't as no one will want it...

I keep repeating my guess -the M4 corridor as a ~40 mile of high paying jobs is dead.

The traffic congestion is too great.

In the mid 90s I knew people commuting Oxford/Reading/Swindon/West Lodon. Only took them 40minutes. And the M4 corridor was where the jobs were.

Now these commutes (by car) are hitting 90 minutes. Of painful queuing at various bottle necks.

And the well paying jobs are moving around London Terminus stations.

The only area I see having a future is they develop 1 mile radius around Reading station for offices. RDG is the only mainline, fast station in the M4 corridor.

The rest - esp. the Waerloo line - is just too slow.

HOLA446
40 minutes ago, spyguy said:

I keep repeating my guess -the M4 corridor as a ~40 mile of high paying jobs is dead.

The traffic congestion is too great.

In the mid 90s I knew people commuting Oxford/Reading/Swindon/West Lodon. Only took them 40minutes. And the M4 corridor was where the jobs were.

Now these commutes (by car) are hitting 90 minutes. Of painful queuing at various bottle necks.

And the well paying jobs are moving around London Terminus stations.

The only area I see having a future is they develop 1 mile radius around Reading station for offices. RDG is the only mainline, fast station in the M4 corridor.

The rest - esp. the Waerloo line - is just too slow.

I have a friend who moved to Hampshire in the 90s and told me that then there were loads of jobs in the M4 corridor but now it is just London - a long and tiring commute.

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449

I hope it gets just a little bit colder.  It would be nice if Reading kite-fliers whose many houses are standing empty (and available 'Now') experienced burst pipes to be taught that it's better to have an occupied property (even if it's at a lower price) in winter.

• 3 weeks later...
HOLA4410
  • 2 weeks later...
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
19 hours ago, Insane said:

Pity the young lady did not say " well I work hard so should have been able to buy without having to get into another 20% of debt , but the government rigged the housing market "

I am sure if there was even the tiniest possibility that the visited debt slave would ever question the situation, the meeting would have not happened.

But it's nice to see that most people commenting on the article on GetReading website appear to understand that house prices are silly and the young are getting screwed over.

HOLA4414
21 hours ago, Bear Hug said:

The PM welcomes a new HelpToSell fool into a lifetime of debt:

Get Reading: Theresa May visits Wokingham to meet new homeowner helped out by Government scheme

Interstign that the woman is in Wokingham.

Interesting that the commentator suggest Woodley and then comments on its p1ss poor rado access.

I lived in Wham for 14 months. Nice but boring. I can see how appeals to middle classy type, when the other options are outer Reading or Bracknell.

However ..... the travel links are bad, the job prospect are worserer.

The reason why I lived in Wham was a well paying job. These have moved away from the Thames valley now, all in London or else where.

All that remains in the Thames Valley is a lot of middle managers types who used to work up + down the M4 corridor.

I think the poor woman taking out the loan will go bust.

HOLA4415
  • 1 month later...
HOLA4416
On 12/4/2017 at 10:39 AM, iamnumerate said:

I have a friend who moved to Hampshire in the 90s and told me that then there were loads of jobs in the M4 corridor but now it is just London - a long and tiring commute.

This could all change with Crossrail. They are claiming Reading - Canary Wharf in 68mins in 2019. Reading has terrible housing stock - lots of narrow terraces, lots of bedrooms linked only to other bedrooms and lots of rancid run down ex rental stock they don't even photograph the inside of. Twyford down the line is small, nicer, but has very little stock and Maidenhead is an expensive dump.

HOLA4417
On 2/11/2018 at 5:20 PM, Wayo said:

This could all change with Crossrail. They are claiming Reading - Canary Wharf in 68mins in 2019. Reading has terrible housing stock - lots of narrow terraces, lots of bedrooms linked only to other bedrooms and lots of rancid run down ex rental stock they don't even photograph the inside of. Twyford down the line is small, nicer, but has very little stock and Maidenhead is an expensive dump.

Well .....

Except theres few people living within 2miles of Reading station who would be able to get a job in The City.

The reality is few people with money would live in Reading.

Having a fast train Rdg->CWharf is fine.

Its getting to Rdg station i nthe morning thats the problem.

HOLA4418
4 hours ago, spyguy said:

Well .....

Except theres few people living within 2miles of Reading station who would be able to get a job in The City.

The reality is few people with money would live in Reading.

Having a fast train Rdg->CWharf is fine.

Its getting to Rdg station i nthe morning thats the problem.

That's my view of Crossrail - I expect it will be used by Estate Agents and their ilk to try and talk up prices but Reading seems to be going downhill at the moment.  The traffic is diabolical and parking charges are outrageous; I don't think Crossrail will save it.  There are too many apartments being built plus the area is too reliant on BIG companies who just might decide to relocate after Brexit.

HOLA4419

I disagree on big companies.

Last big company that setup in Reading was Worldcom in late 90s. Then it all fell to bits.

The only future for Reading is offices around the station. Then you can get people to train it in.

The m4 corricor as an econmic power house is dead - too much congestion.

The town and surrounding area inc Bracknell looks liie it s becoming one massive sink estate.

• 2 weeks later...
HOLA4420

You missed Nokia, Huawei , Kyocera, SSE, Bayer, Cisco, Dialog, Thales, Pepsico, Pierre Fabre etc etc etc etc

More moronic posts, I really don't know why you bother commenting on a town you only use to meet up with your counsellor..............

"Reading and Bracknell really are the UK’s answer to Silicon Valley - according to a report into the country’s digital economy.

High-tech businesses in the two towns turn over £10 billion a year - second only to London"

" Huawei, a Chinese multinational networking and telecoms equipment and services firm, moved to Reading in 2013 and employs 600 people at Green Park "

Go on tell me all these are wrong and you are right

http://www.bqlive.co.uk/london-the-south/2017/12/11/news/reading-forecast-to-be-one-of-the-uk-s-fastest-growing-cities-says-ey-

https://www.inyourarea.co.uk/news/reading-is-one-of-the-best-places-to-do-business-in-europe/forecast-29412/

https://www.inyourarea.co.uk/news/reading-among-best-places-for-wages-start-ups-and-productivity/

https://www.pwc.co.uk/press-room/press-releases/good-growth-for-cities-2017.html

https://technation.techcityuk.com/cluster/reading/

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/revealed-the-uk-city-where-house-prices-are-growing-fastest-and-its-not-london-a3772826.html

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
  • 3 weeks later...
HOLA4423
HOLA4424

Villages around are good and bad.  I keep an eye on Crowthorne and Sandhurst....a lot of posh houses with extensions and building work all over the place but Sandhurst has next to no shops and those that are there are very disappointing (betting shops and the like) whereas Crowthorne High St is OK.  Unless you have a car though you're stuck as buses are infrequent although luckily the stations escaped the Beeching cuts of the 60s.  They seem to be primarily dormitory places without much heart.

HOLA4425
2 hours ago, fandanman said:

"Go on tell me all these are wrong and you are right"

Still waiting........ -_-

All those links are nothing more than subject spin.

The business on the M4 corridor are just sales offices. 80% low paid admin.

Hauwi does no development in Reading.