Bubble Pricker

The Welcome Thread For New Members

Long time lurker again, former SE member but got the ass and disappeared a couple of years back. Earn a decent wage but still house prices are x10 it. Don't see why i should join the bandwagon and now generally just ignore it and try not to partake. Hoping this time round, there is actually a decent crash and no gooberment scheme is brought in to pump it back up.

Annoying how the older generation talk about hardship and hard lives yet they paid 3 times their salaries and have a >20K a year pension having retired at 50. Something you'd need to invest heavily in to gain the same returns.

Been lurking since just before Dave and Gideon started their BTL clampdown. At that point, I was looking for a flat in the SE and was shocked by what you got for the money. After meeting “investors” at viewings/open days I knew something wasn’t right. A bit of research steered me to this site which offered explanations for the madness. So pleased I didn’t jump in!

I probably have the main hallmarks of a HPCer- well-educated, job in the SE but originally from the midlands where mates/family on less income have better houses and living standards. Taught English is Asia where my take-home pay after including the free accommodation was pretty much the same as what I get here as an engineer after subtracting rent. Also lived in Germany where it was a pleasure to see a society which is not focussed on house prices!

After a couple of years of lurking, it’s time to contribute with my disbelief at what is happening and what the sheeple accept!

22 hours ago, UnconventionalWisdom said:

Been lurking since just before Dave and Gideon started their BTL clampdown. At that point, I was looking for a flat in the SE and was shocked by what you got for the money. After meeting “investors” at viewings/open days I knew something wasn’t right. A bit of research steered me to this site which offered explanations for the madness. So pleased I didn’t jump in!

I probably have the main hallmarks of a HPCer- well-educated, job in the SE but originally from the midlands where mates/family on less income have better houses and living standards. Taught English is Asia where my take-home pay after including the free accommodation was pretty much the same as what I get here as an engineer after subtracting rent. Also lived in Germany where it was a pleasure to see a society which is not focussed on house prices!

After a couple of years of lurking, it’s time to contribute with my disbelief at what is happening and what the sheeple accept!

xfbfHOT.png

Been just reading HPC for a couple of years but given that I have just had an offer accepted on a house in Carshalton with my partner, I think it's time I get involved a little more on here.

I think it is fair to say that as an observer this forum does not always offer an objective viewpoint for the observer, so I'm hoping that I can try and stimulate some more of that here.

The charts thread is an absolute goldmine thread, so thank you everyone for that! 

TBP

Hi folks,

Found this place a month or so back, while searching for 'reflation'.  The deflation/reflation thread has been very interesting indeed.  I'm not a homeowner, but make my living repairing and remodeling homes, so mixed feelings about house prices.  Really paying attention to deflation/reflation, and what it'll mean for my business.

I've posted a couple of times, once in the welcome thread, no welcome received and once again a post tonight which was moved from where I wanted it!

Not feeling the love!

On 22/10/2017 at 9:26 AM, thebananapimp said:

Been just reading HPC for a couple of years but given that I have just had an offer accepted on a house in Carshalton with my partner, I think it's time I get involved a little more on here.

I think it is fair to say that as an observer this forum does not always offer an objective viewpoint for the observer, so I'm hoping that I can try and stimulate some more of that here.

The charts thread is an absolute goldmine thread, so thank you everyone for that! 

TBP

As a homeowner.... which is fine, but let's discover your views eh. 

Not a good start to begin by criticising the forum in your first post imo.

Neverwhere: I'm afraid these kinds of comments always read to me as a call to silence disagreement and debate, in the name of saving them.

That posters disagree with the positions of others as posted is part and parcel of a lively debate. (I might add that if a position is nuanced and qualified it's more likely to be read that way if that is expressed in the same post, rather than over multiple posts, if the non-compulsory desire is to avoid misunderstandings.) 

Such disagreements noticeably occur precisely because the forum is not an echo chamber.

Equally, open dissent between posters is clearly not evidence that dissent will not be tolerated. (Nor is there any way for an individual poster to enforce a rule of no dissent on any other in any case.)

Greg: Sorry BS that's BS I have been on here for eight years, maybe new members don't allow different views but always been robust debate on here.

I also absolutely agree that posters shouldn't be banned from here because they hold different views, but this is already the case on HPC, not least because there is no one central HPC view on anything. Given that posters do hold differing views this naturally results in disagreement, which is - for me at least - one of the aspects of the forum that I most appreciate. What better way to test an idea or opinion than to subject it to the rigours of debate and see if it survives the discussion?

When it doesn't survive discussion (flaws thrashed out) we get those coming back/in with with 'echo-chamber / doesn't fit my (HPI+++ forver /BTL++++) view as "an observer".

gilf:  However I suspect it's only because it doesn't want to echo whatever it is you want to say.

21 hours ago, Beware78 said:

I've posted a couple of times, once in the welcome thread, no welcome received and once again a post tonight which was moved from where I wanted it!

Not feeling the love!

163672338.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=3&d=77BFB

Aloha newcomers and oldtimers,

I have not posted for more than six years having been waiting for IRs to start creeping back up to their insanely low long term average.

This day has finally come.

42 minutes ago, refusnik said:

Aloha newcomers and oldtimers,

I have not posted for more than six years having been waiting for IRs to start creeping back up to their insanely low long term average.

This day has finally come.

Come on aboard and add to the mix

Evening.

Read this site for many years, cgno? was one of the most colourful, and actually influenced decisions on banks at the time. 

Also spent a number of years as a landlord, in the days when it was 15yr commercial loans.

Rode the dotcom wave, and survived, and learnt.

Opted out for a while and lived on a boat, highly recommended, if your a grafter.

Currently rent, though landlord has just popped property on the market. It was a bit of a surprise, especially having recently been told that could stay as long as I want with no rent increase. After a little thought, im looking forward to a new chapter. Not sure where it will lead, and in part, that interests me.

Voted brexit, and still would. Frustrated by the amount of negativity getting bandied about all the time, beginning to think this is a British trait, maybe institutionalised in some way, work?

Ta c

I've been lurking here since just before I purchased an over priced dump of a flat in London four years ago. I sold that two years later after finding an excuse to justify selling (section 24) for possibly less than it was worth at the time (I took the first offer). So overpaid, possibly undersold. I'm now back to living in a shared flat.

Hoping (expecting to be honest) that house prices revert to the mean as the current housing situation for a large amount of the population is a mess.

Anyhow hi! Despite my username I sadly don't live in a castle. It's my favourite video game series :)

On 11/11/2017 at 4:17 PM, Castlevania said:

I've been lurking here since just before I purchased an over priced dump of a flat in London four years ago. I sold that two years later after finding an excuse to justify selling (section 24) for possibly less than it was worth at the time (I took the first offer). So overpaid, possibly undersold. I'm now back to living in a shared flat.

Hoping (expecting to be honest) that house prices revert to the mean as the current housing situation for a large amount of the population is a mess.

Anyhow hi! Despite my username I sadly don't live in a castle. It's my favourite video game series :)

When you start to research the housing market and economy: