Bubble Pricker

The Welcome Thread For New Members

1,831 posts in this topic

Hey folks,

Say here long time visiter, had to join cos just got an message from moneyweek that house prices are about to BOOM!

THESE are the people who have gone on for YEARS that prices are to COLASPE!

If moneyweek think this is the start of a new BOOM, then SURELY this is the signal of a inpending CRASH!

Heres the link if its allowed:http://pro.moneyweekresearch.com/CTC-1116-property/ECTCSB44/

On 17/11/2016 at 8:54 PM, markgriffith said:

I might be one of those unorthodox members, Toast!

Thank you for the welcome ... and I think you may well be. That is because at first reading your scheme to buy slivers of houses makes my blood boil: prices should be low enough that we can buy whole houses. However, in a rising market where people are desperate to get closer to the security of owning a home, it might not be so bad. Perhaps even a necessary evil. So, you've already made me think!

On 11/20/2016 at 9:14 PM, Toast said:

Thank you for the welcome ... and I think you may well be. That is because at first reading your scheme to buy slivers of houses makes my blood boil: prices should be low enough that we can buy whole houses. However, in a rising market where people are desperate to get closer to the security of owning a home, it might not be so bad. Perhaps even a necessary evil. So, you've already made me think!

Really sorry to make your blood boil, Toast! 

And I'm glad you started to think it might be (at least) a necessary evil. 

...Actually I believe it gets better. I tried to explain this on my thread, although several people there disagree. I think that not only will it help some people chase the rising values of houses they cannot (yet? ever?) afford, but it will also _reduce_ house prices long-term, which is what you really feel should happen. 

So it might be better than a necessary evil. My argument for why it will bring prices down might seem a bit abstract, but as a former futures trader, what strikes me about housing is that it is a market where everyone goes long. By creating a way for some to go short (this initiative) the market should become more symmetrical, and less inclined to only go one way, always up.

You might not agree, but this is my reasoning and hope, that long-term it should ultimately help both sellers and buyers experience a saner, less ramped, market in property.  

On 21/11/2016 at 8:55 PM, markgriffith said:

You might not agree, but this is my reasoning and hope, that long-term it should ultimately help both sellers and buyers experience a saner, less ramped, market in property.  

Not sure that marketing your imagined scheme on the "Welcome Thread For New Members" is really the best way forward. Bump your thread on your thread, but probably best to leave it at that.

Hi

Long time reader of the forum, finally joined!

I've purchased an overpriced home a few years ago in London, but am waiting and looking forward to the collapse!

Andrew

2 hours ago, A17 said:

Hi

Long time reader of the forum, finally joined!

I've purchased an overpriced home a few years ago in London, but am waiting and looking forward to the collapse!

Andrew

Welcome! :)

Always nice to hear from homeowners with non-protectionist views of the market.