Bubble Pricker

The Welcome Thread For New Members

1,816 posts in this topic

Hey there

Been reading the site on and off for years, just never got round to posting

I'm 35, been living and working in London since I was 22 and managed to finally save enough for a deposit around 2014 thanks to a capital gain on a startup I set up about 10 years ago. No way I'm going anywhere near the London market now though, this thing is going to go down hard and I don't want to lose this cash I've worked so long and hard for!

I've actually worked in Europe - prague and berlin for several years, and the house and working culture in the uk has pushed me and my partner out. We're emigrating to auckland next week to try out a bit more of a relaxed lifestyle. Shame they have a mega bubble of their own, we won't be buying there either!

Hello all. I am "usernamelowercasewithoutspaces" from the former comments section of the Telegraph. Lurked on here since last July - it was actually the BTLegraph's article about Connie Cheuk that indirectly brought me here, and also to lurk on the 118 site. I've been very impressed at the high level of discourse and technical knowledge on here. And I greatly enjoyed the commentary during referendum night. I'll try to make a good contribution to the site.

Hi - long time lurker, finally posted this morning. Interesting times ahead.

Hey there

I'm 35, been living and working in London since I was 22 and managed to finally save enough for a deposit around 2014 thanks to a capital gain on a startup I set up about 10 years ago. No way I'm going anywhere near the London market now though, this thing is going to go down hard and I don't want to lose this cash I've worked so long and hard for!

I've actually worked in Europe - prague and berlin for several years, and the house and working culture in the uk has pushed me and my partner out. We're emigrating to auckland next week to try out a bit more of a relaxed lifestyle. Shame they have a mega bubble of their own, we won't be buying there either!

Welcome to you all! As the great Kenny Rogers once said, you picked a fine time to um, join us. Lucille.

Hi,

Been lurking here for years, but only got around to registering last week.

Situation is I live in a typical terraced FTB house I baught back in '93. Work insecurity (IT) means I've was unwilling to upsize in the early 2000's. And I have refused to in-debt myself to the obscene prices ever since.

Hello all. I am "usernamelowercasewithoutspaces" from the former comments section of the Telegraph. Lurked on here since last July - it was actually the BTLegraph's article about Connie Cheuk that indirectly brought me here, and also to lurk on the 118 site. I've been very impressed at the high level of discourse and technical knowledge on here. And I greatly enjoyed the commentary during referendum night. I'll try to make a good contribution to the site.

Thanks Connie, for another worker for the hivemind!

Glad you decided to dip in. Now get to work.

The person I credit with the creation of the BTLegraph joke!

Welcome aboard. Should be an interesting summer...

Afternoon! Been reading on and off - some interesting stuff. Finally had something vaguely useful to post so thought I'd sign up.

Forgive the terrible username, I'm useless at thinking of things on the spot.

Alright everyone! Big bird here. Finally joined HPC after over a decade of sitting by the sidelines, waiting for prices to return to normal - but nope - nothing so far. Here's hoping! Buy to let need to be brought to heal, and all the disincentives to partake in BTL thrown at them - blood sucking leaches on society! Grrrrrr

Hey there

Have you considered the possibility that a more relaxed lifestyle can be had north of the Watford gap, that Australasia isn't the first stop outside London for such things?

Alright everyone! Big bird here. Finally joined HPC after over a decade of sitting by the sidelines, waiting for prices to return to normal - but nope - nothing so far. Here's hoping! Buy to let need to be brought to heal, and all the disincentives to partake in BTL thrown at them - blood sucking leaches on society! Grrrrrr

THE Big Bird? I thought you lived in a big nest round the corner from Grouch's dustbin? Welcome to the forum, anyhow. I think things are about to get interesting.

Can't seem to change the picture on my profile ?? Please advise!!! I wanna picky of big bird (naturally).

Can't seem to change the picture on my profile ?? Please advise!!! I wanna picky of big bird (naturally).

An option to change it should come up in the top lefthand corner of the profile picture on your My Profile page when you move the cursor over it.

Found this place just in time! I'm 27, recently married and renting in London. Will hopefully have a decent deposit saved in the next few years, and will likely move to Kent. All depends on where house prices go.

I've had an increasing number of friends/family buying and telling me that I need to "get on the ladder before it's too late."

I would like to own a place eventually but for security - not to drown in debt.

I'm a web developer by trade and have been fairly blinkered on things finance. My saving grace was learning to hate debt from a young age.

Looking forward to learning more and digging into some investment stuff. Im very grateful that this place exists!

I don't think "new members" can change their profile pics, you can either ask the mods on the upgrade forum to turn you into a full member or wait until you've hit 100 posts and it'll happen automatically. That's my vague recollection of what happened to me anyway!

Please can someone tell me how to Quote in a Reply?

Any other forum this is straightforward but I can't puzzle out how to do it on this one!

Please can someone tell me how to Quote in a Reply?

Any other forum this is straightforward but I can't puzzle out how to do it on this one!

On the mobile version you tap the post you wish to quote and a quote button appears.

6 hours ago, SE10 said:

On the mobile version you tap the post you wish to quote and a quote button appears.

I'm on a PC.  However, yay, with this latest site update clicking the "quote button looks like it works....!