House Price Crash Forum

The Welcome Thread For New Members

HOLA441
On 2017-5-2 at 0:22 PM, Kosmin said:

I have never seen a class so deeply demoralised, so incurably debased by selfishness, so corroded within, so incapable of progress, as the English BTLer. For it nothing exists in this world, except for the sake of money, itself not excluded. It knows no bliss save that of rapid gain, no pain save that of losing gold. In the presence of this avarice and lust of gain, it is not possible for a single human sentiment or opinion to remain untainted.

Welcome to the party.

bc303abdd64db7b78855a11bdea80515.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

Hi, Very long time lurker about 10 years on and off

I do agree with a lot of the views on here, not all of them, i do think London house prices need to be well 50% cheaper but that is not going to happen.

Looking to buy in North London if that is ever going to happen, have a large deposit but house prices have risen so much...

• 3 weeks later...
HOLA443
HOLA444
On 30/06/2017 at 4:10 PM, Tom82 said:

Hi, 

Been lurking for many years. Early 30's, renting in London suburb waiting for a crash with decent size deposit. Wife wants to buy asap! 

Welcome to the forum!

The momentum of prices in London borough varies pretty wildly at the moment. If you haven't already done so it may be worth having a look at the Land Reg site which allows you to look at a things borough by borough and look at sales volumes and annual HPI.

Worth bearing in mind that because of delays between when the sales happen and when they hit the data set the last three to six months of data should be taken with a pinch of salt. There's so much lag in the Land Reg data that the most recent data is always two months old and yet it's still crucial not to draw any conclusion from the ever present apparent collapse in sales volumes in the most recent three months (which results from the data data still not being complete until 6+ months). Also, IIRC, the Land Reg data accessed at that link is a simple average of price paid data so moves with changes in sales mix (that said, despite a bit of sniffing around I haven't been able to confirm as much so DYOR).

• 2 weeks later...
HOLA445

Well, hello all.

I have joined to ascertain if this is a good site to raise funds for alms houses for BTL'ers fallen on hard times. I ask you to be as generous as you deem appropriate. My bank details will be posted in the Fools and their money sub forum.

Thankyou.

HOLA446
10 hours ago, CommyTooper said:

Well, hello all.

I have joined to ascertain if this is a good site to raise funds for alms houses for BTL'ers fallen on hard times. I ask you to be as generous as you deem appropriate. My bank details will be posted in the Fools and their money sub forum.

Thankyou.

Let me call up Carney and the banks should have some funds in your account as soon as interest rates get cut.

Regards,

Credit addict.

HOLA447
On 6/30/2017 at 3:10 PM, Tom82 said:

Hi, 

Been lurking for many years. Early 30's, renting in London suburb waiting for a crash with decent size deposit. Wife wants to buy asap! 

Read:

"A goodbye to All that Buy To Let" and pass it on to your mates. Welcome. Enjoy the intense debates and differing views and hopefully see through the guff much of the soothsayers posing as Economics experts spout in our hideously narrow media.

HOLA448
  • 2 weeks later...
HOLA449

Hi chaps (and chapesses)

Gen X'er here (late 30s). Live up north, and would love to own my own home. High house prices forced me and missus (now ex) away from our home town, in the mid noughties. Seen prices soar to ridiculous levels year on year since then. I've been following the forum for some time, and also analysing the market, demographics and everything else and have come to the conclusion that I am amongst like minded people here.

A home should be a home in my book, not a bloody investment vehicle!

HOLA4410

I have been reading this site occasionally while living abroad for many years.

I wondered whether I would be able to buy a house when I came back, but it looks like I came back in what may well be the year in which things changed.

HOLA4411

Hello HPCers!

I've been lurking for quite a while now and thought I should finally introduce myself.

Honestly, I look at current house prices, mainly in London, and ask myself "Who on Earth is paying these prices?". The figures are outrageous in terms of what you get versus what you pay for. If you're smart enough to have access to that sort of money, you should be smart enough to not burden yourself for years to come paying off a mediocre house/flat.

I look at the wider economy and the government, and it doesn't make any sense. If (when) we hit a cyclical recession, we have no tools at our disposal to deal with it: interest rates can't go lower in any meaningful sense and our total debt doesn't allow for any serious spending to reduce the impact. It feels like we have no real foundations, and everything is designed to give us a good economy on paper without any consideration for what's actually good for the people.

Similarly, the size of the population continues to increase indefinitely, with no plan on how to increase the housing stock to put a roof over everyone's head. It's absolutely criminal.

I guess I'm here because most of you agree and have a similar mindset - something which I rarely get when discussing with others.

About myself: I'm an outer Londoner, now working in London, in my late 20s. I've saved up enough such that I could pretty much buy outright if I wanted to, but at present I simply cannot justify it. At all. The plan is HPC, or I'm off. If I can do my job remotely and part time, I'd much rather travel the world and do that than be anchored to an over-priced shoe box on the outskirts of London.

Anyway, just thought I'd say hi.

BeyondAJoke

HOLA4412
HOLA4413

I've been reading this forum for many years but only started writing anything recently.

In terms of housing, I bought a basic 2.5 bed terrace in 2013 in zone 6, using savings from 6 years of work in London (zone 1).

After that the prices took off again (not that they ever "landed").

We now have 2 children and I will do my best not to take on more debt.

The remaining mortgage feels like a millstone already, despite managing to get it down to down to 2.5x pre-tax salary. And it is for something that is already a huge compromise ! (1.5 hours away from central London work due to bus / train / tube exchanges).

I feel like I am the crazy one when all my acquaintances have 2 or 3 times the mortgage size and think nothing of it!

If things don't get better I don't think I will be staying here. I am not originally from the UK, I can move again if I have to..

• 3 weeks later...
HOLA4414

Hi all. Another of those long time lurkers. Thought it was time I popped my head up above the parapet, so here I am...

I am the official doomer in the family but have it keep it under wraps most of the time. I do like to quote interesting snippets from t'internet though, with this site regularly offering up good stuff.

We are long time home owners and, I almost ashamed to say we've done pretty well as we've moved up the ladder despite being in one of the 'cheaper' counties. I do worry about my children's prospects (late teens)  and I suspect we will be helping them via Bank of Mum & Dad in the future.

We even dabbled in a bit of BTL (shock horror) from the mid 90's to around 2005. Gave up in the end after a couple of horrendous tenancies.

Perhaps of most interest is the fact we have our house on the market (been here for 11 years). It appears to have sold at the asking price within 4 weeks. I'll start up another post to give a running commentary on our move which might be interesting anecdotal reading. If it goes through we are potentially going to stash the cash and rent for a period.

HOLA4415

Yet another lurker (only a few months) joining in. 

Live in SE, work in the city, wanting to get out. House on the market, not selling :( but then I wouldn't (couldn't) buy it for the price recommended by estate agent.  Looks like it could be an interesting next 6 months.  Does it stay flat or go down?

HOLA4416
9 hours ago, Lozza said:

Yet another lurker (only a few months) joining in. 

Live in SE, work in the city, wanting to get out. House on the market, not selling :( but then I wouldn't (couldn't) buy it for the price recommended by estate agent.  Looks like it could be an interesting next 6 months.  Does it stay flat or go down?

Best to take what you can get before all the various tax changes bite next year. Providing you didnt buy in the last 12 months your going to be sitting pretty with some nice free equity. Could buy yourself a nice house outside of london with a tiny mortgage. and just enjoy life, and recover from the years of pollution etc from the big smoke. 

HOLA4417
On 8/23/2017 at 8:32 PM, sasquatch said:

Hi all. Another of those long time lurkers. Thought it was time I popped my head up above the parapet, so here I am...

I am the official doomer in the family but have it keep it under wraps most of the time. I do like to quote interesting snippets from t'internet though, with this site regularly offering up good stuff.

We are long time home owners and, I almost ashamed to say we've done pretty well as we've moved up the ladder despite being in one of the 'cheaper' counties. I do worry about my children's prospects (late teens)  and I suspect we will be helping them via Bank of Mum & Dad in the future.

We even dabbled in a bit of BTL (shock horror) from the mid 90's to around 2005. Gave up in the end after a couple of horrendous tenancies.

Perhaps of most interest is the fact we have our house on the market (been here for 11 years). It appears to have sold at the asking price within 4 weeks. I'll start up another post to give a running commentary on our move which might be interesting anecdotal reading. If it goes through we are potentially going to stash the cash and rent for a period.

It's a hard job but someone has to do it.

HOLA4418
HOLA4419

Yep, I'm new here as I've been driven nuts by "Couldn't give $hit" estate agents and auction houses that have the same greedy attitude.

All I wanna do is buy a house from someone that's not going to lie and waste my time. A simple requests that shouldn't involve lots of swearing!

• 2 weeks later...
HOLA4420

First time poster here but long time lurker. Really hope house prices will crash sometime soon.

I find it very frustrating, I'm late 30s now, good job and would love to buy a bigger place. I can't bring myself to mortgage myself up to the eyeballs to do it. Living in a modest two bed apartment in the West end of Glasgow bought 7 years ago.

At the time that was the top of my budget, however due to upskilling and several job changes I now could afford something bigger. The question is, do I borrow another £200k to get a modest 4 bed detached house in the burbs or sit tight and wait?

Interestingly I decided to look up the house my parents bought in Knowle when my dad was my age as a young bank manager. If I wanted to buy that house now it would set me back £625k.

That's why things have to change! 

It really makes working your socks off seem like a complete waste of time. That's pretty much the way most of my friends feel who are all in a similar position. In fact one of my good friends just jacked in her well paid job with nothing to go to. I think she felt the frustration of working every hour and not seeing the rewards of her labour.

Speaking to some millennial friends I understand many of them don't see the point in even trying to get on the property ladder.

Something has to change and quick!

HOLA4421

Long time lurker again, former SE member but got the ass and disappeared a couple of years back. Earn a decent wage but still house prices are x10 it. Don't see why i should join the bandwagon and now generally just ignore it and try not to partake. Hoping this time round, there is actually a decent crash and no gooberment scheme is brought in to pump it back up.

Annoying how the older generation talk about hardship and hard lives yet they paid 3 times their salaries and have a >20K a year pension having retired at 50. Something you'd need to invest heavily in to gain the same returns.

HOLA4422

Been lurking since just before Dave and Gideon started their BTL clampdown. At that point, I was looking for a flat in the SE and was shocked by what you got for the money. After meeting “investors” at viewings/open days I knew something wasn’t right. A bit of research steered me to this site which offered explanations for the madness. So pleased I didn’t jump in!

I probably have the main hallmarks of a HPCer- well-educated, job in the SE but originally from the midlands where mates/family on less income have better houses and living standards. Taught English is Asia where my take-home pay after including the free accommodation was pretty much the same as what I get here as an engineer after subtracting rent. Also lived in Germany where it was a pleasure to see a society which is not focussed on house prices!

After a couple of years of lurking, it’s time to contribute with my disbelief at what is happening and what the sheeple accept!

HOLA4423
22 hours ago, UnconventionalWisdom said:

Been lurking since just before Dave and Gideon started their BTL clampdown. At that point, I was looking for a flat in the SE and was shocked by what you got for the money. After meeting “investors” at viewings/open days I knew something wasn’t right. A bit of research steered me to this site which offered explanations for the madness. So pleased I didn’t jump in!

I probably have the main hallmarks of a HPCer- well-educated, job in the SE but originally from the midlands where mates/family on less income have better houses and living standards. Taught English is Asia where my take-home pay after including the free accommodation was pretty much the same as what I get here as an engineer after subtracting rent. Also lived in Germany where it was a pleasure to see a society which is not focussed on house prices!

After a couple of years of lurking, it’s time to contribute with my disbelief at what is happening and what the sheeple accept!

xfbfHOT.png

• 3 weeks later...
HOLA4424
  • 2 weeks later...
HOLA4425

Been just reading HPC for a couple of years but given that I have just had an offer accepted on a house in Carshalton with my partner, I think it's time I get involved a little more on here.

I think it is fair to say that as an observer this forum does not always offer an objective viewpoint for the observer, so I'm hoping that I can try and stimulate some more of that here.

The charts thread is an absolute goldmine thread, so thank you everyone for that! 

TBP