House Price Crash Forum

Bristol.

Sofa Spud

HOLA441

Sounds fun. Do you know what happened?

Incidently, a house right next to the Hare is currently up for sale for 650k, after they tried (and failed) to sell it for 690k two years ago: http://www.rightmove...y-37249742.html

It was the night of the Tesco riots. Chap in the pub lives in the flats opposite and told me about a Female ringleader ordering her Henchman to launch bricks at the flats and their windows. He heard the noise, ran to his balcony, gave a bit of verbal and became the target. He was raging.

Even Fremantle Square was breached. A massive wheelie bin was set alight and used as a barricade at the top of nine tree hill.

There has been an absolute glut of houses coming on in the last couple of weeks. Your earlier post is looking prophetic, BS6 homeowners seem to be on the run. Either that or the vendors have seen recent asking prices and are chancing their arm. Montpelier (I would never live there) is going nuts - they are on the way out. Looking at the escalating crime rates, I can see why.

• Replies 422
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

It was the night of the Tesco riots. Chap in the pub lives in the flats opposite and told me about a Female ringleader ordering her Henchman to launch bricks at the flats and their windows. He heard the noise, ran to his balcony, gave a bit of verbal and became the target. He was raging.

Even Fremantle Square was breached. A massive wheelie bin was set alight and used as a barricade at the top of nine tree hill.

There has been an absolute glut of houses coming on in the last couple of weeks. Your earlier post is looking prophetic, BS6 homeowners seem to be on the run. Either that or the vendors have seen recent asking prices and are chancing their arm. Montpelier (I would never live there) is going nuts - they are on the way out. Looking at the escalating crime rates, I can see why.

Blimey, breaching Fremantle Square - a key defensive line falls! And were those the flats in the tower block? Bit out of order for rioters to start targetting social housing flats..

Have got a mate who lives in Montpelier who says that the vibe has got much worse over the past couple of years - the Stokes Croft reputation has attracted a lot of new wasters, a victim of its own boho success. If a place is going to crumble first it will be Montpelier - the Belgium to Kingsdown's France. Have seen a few more windows being broken on Picton Street of late and an increase in rogue cider drinkers.

However people who want to live in Montpelier expect it to be rough round the edges, people in Kingsdown (or with £700k to spend on a house) are going to be a little more nervous of members of the underclass throwing up outside their Georgian front door (although perhaps it is an extra mark of 1790 authenticity?).

The glut is interesting (about 6 now on in Somerset Street and Kingsdown Parade at the +£600k mark - above 2007 prices I think). Strongly suspect these are vendors who have been holding out since 2008 and now think the time is now here to get the price they always deserved. Some have been on the market on and off as either to rent or sale since 08.

The glut is not just a Kingsdown and Montpelier thing - Clifton has just seen a big surge of new properties. All three areas are seeing agents whack an extra big dollup on the asking price. Not too sure how the longest period of economic contraction since the 1930s justifies an extra £150k tho'.

HOLA443

Feb LR Bristol figures now out.

National

MoM: +0.1%

YoY: -0.6%

Average Price: £161,588

South West

MoM: +0.1%

YoY: +0.1%

Average Price: £172,659

Bristol

MoM: +0.2%

YoY: -2.2%

Average Price: £165,360

Although this positive figure is entirely based upon downwards revisions to last months figures. Last months figure was £165,510 (£150 higher than this months), but this has been revised down to £164,981 - an actual fall of £529 or -0.3%!.

March LR City of Bristol data now out:

National

MoM: -0.6%

Average Price: £160,372

South West

MoM: -1.0%

YoY: -0.7%

Average Price: £170,261

Bristol

MoM: +0.3%

YoY: -1.5%

Average Price: £166,335

Third month in a row of positive MoMs for Bristol (although with some dodgy revisions), although this month's not as large as last.

Can't blame it on dodgy revisions this month though, as last months average price was revised up from £165,360 to £165,856, meaning this months rise would have been bigger without.

Means headline falls slowing down since November 2011 (for the time being). Latest transaction levels for Jan pitifully low, but slightly higher than 2011, 2010 and 2009.

You can do your own Bristol specific analysis here: http://www.landregistry.gov.uk/public/house-prices-and-sales/search-the-index

HOLA444

National

South West

Bristol

Third month in a row of positive MoMs for Bristol (although with some dodgy revisions), although this month's not as large as last.

Can't blame it on dodgy revisions this month though, as last months average price was revised up from £165,360 to £165,856, meaning this months rise would have been bigger without.

Means headline falls slowing down since November 2011 (for the time being). Latest transaction levels for Jan pitifully low, but slightly higher than 2011, 2010 and 2009.

You can do your own Bristol specific analysis here: http://www.landregis...earch-the-index

In the areas I'm looking, BS6-BS9, there has been a drop in number of family properties for sale and a rise in asking prices.

It is looking like a bit of a seller's strike. However there is a glut of 2 bedroom flats for sale and rent and prices for both seem to be dropping. I think 2 bed flats even in Clifton are beginning to look very dodgy ...

HOLA445

The "property" pull-out in the centre of Friday's Evening Post is looking rather sparse. It now has more "aspirational" articles, probably to fill the few pages, since there seems to be such few adverts from EAs. Just a few years back it was bursting!

HOLA446

The "property" pull-out in the centre of Friday's Evening Post is looking rather sparse. It now has more "aspirational" articles, probably to fill the few pages, since there seems to be such few adverts from EAs. Just a few years back it was bursting!

Just a few years back they had the advertising budgets now going to rightmove and zoopla.

• 2 weeks later...
HOLA447

I have been checking the Rightmove entries for the past fortnight.

We are now living in a land of make believe, with elves and fairies and little frogs with funny green hats!

1. For a quarter of a million quid, can you see what it is yet?

Bedminster: http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-33890374.html

2. In the back of beyond, miles from central Bristol, you get a pool in the Kitchen, an out building at the end of a sweeping drive, gym in the bedroom, bars on the bed, Interior Design courtesy of Brookside and the word dream pasted to the bedroom wall. Dream? It's a F+%*&ng nightmare. Offers in excess of Three Hundred and Fifty Thousand English Pounds please kind Sir. Surely a contender for overpriced shithole 2012. Oh God, just checked the history, they originally wanted £369,950. I need a lie down.

Filton: http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-33004846.html?premiumA=true

3. Repugnant. The height of new build atrocity, on a new estate, next to the motorway and a polytechnic. Check out those room proportions on the plans. Miles from any amenities, it is going to be fun journeying in your car for anything and everything.

Long Down Avenue!!!!???: http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/new-homes/property-31474708.html?premiumA=true

4. For Jimmy James. I predict a riot, I predict a riot!

Freemantle Square: http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-37814663.html

HOLA448

3. Repugnant. The height of new build atrocity, on a new estate, next to the motorway and a polytechnic. Check out those room proportions on the plans. Miles from any amenities, it is going to be fun journeying in your car for anything and everything.

Long Down Avenue!!!!???: http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/new-homes/property-31474708.html?premiumA=true

Wow, 5th April they added 10k to the price thanks to NewBuy...

HOLA449
HOLA4410

4. For Jimmy James. I predict a riot, I predict a riot!

Freemantle Square: http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-37814663.html

Agree, riotously mental.

Perhaps not as mental as this though - £800k for a not that spectacular 4 bed terraced house, a couple of doors down from the rehab centre: http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-33831661.html;jsessionid=014E9B03499F4F5D73724C615863D4C6?premiumA=true

These were selling for a shade over £500k in 2007 IIRC

I can't believe more estate agents aren't going to the wall with this pricing and the low level of turnover

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413

Check out the floor plan, are you expected to wash yourself with a flannel in the kitchen? Outside shower?

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-34210036.html

So, not every house is fully modernised. Part of my childhood was spent with an outside chemical loo and no bathroom: the idea that you automatically have those things is relatively new. Especially in a poorer area like Bedminster, where someone may have lived their whole life in one house without ever modernising.

When houses like that get modernised you have a legitimate reason for prices to rise. Though £150k for that one unmodernised seems a lot, unless perhaps the area has gentrified hugely since I knew it. :o

Edited by porca misèria

HOLA4414

I can't believe more estate agents aren't going to the wall with this pricing and the low level of turnover

EA's have been through busts before, and learned. It appears to me that this time around they're keeping the wolf from the door by morphing into letting agencies.

As long as Housing Benefit makes good their clients inabilities to pay high rents it seems there's enough turnover to keep the EA's offices ticking-over.

HOLA4415

Have I seen this house in the news before somewhere?

Berkeley Road

Was this the one where the owner marched up and down the Gloucester road wearing a clapper board?

If not, worth posting anyhow just for the crazy price 390k for a 2 bed Semi??? (Ha! ha! Semi lol)

Ames

HOLA4416

If not, worth posting anyhow just for the crazy price 390k for a 2 bed Semi??? (Ha! ha! Semi lol)

I agree that the price is insane. Unfortunately this is partly because this house is in the catchment area of a several very good primary schools as well as in the catchment area of one of the few secondary schools (=Redland Green) in Bristol that has a good reputation in that part of the city. I know several people that moved less than half a mile for that specific reason.

HOLA4417

Have I seen this house in the news before somewhere?

Berkeley Road

Was this the one where the owner marched up and down the Gloucester road wearing a clapper board?

Ames

Quite a smart house. Price needs to be halved.

This one is the best (Worst) house conversion I think I have ever seen in Bristol:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-34001011.html

Yours for only 7.5 times the average Bristolian salary. Truly, when will the madness end? Vendors are without doubt, more deluded than 2005-2007.

Love the Property Bee insight.

Mon May 14 23:32:28 2012

• Brief Description changed: Realistically priced with No Chain. A wonderful and unique end terrace house which was previously a sweet shop within Bishopston. The property is a great alternative to a flat.
  • Price changed: from '£165,000' to '£159,000'

Who writes this stuff?

HOLA4418

Rightmove listings alone show 975 new instructions in two weeks. Does anybody have access to historic data relating to new instructions? I have never known a month like this for sheer volume of new listings.

Is this the desperation phase?

:lol:

HOLA4419

Quite a smart house. Price needs to be halved.

This one is the best (Worst) house conversion I think I have ever seen in Bristol:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-34001011.html

Yours for only 7.5 times the average Bristolian salary. Truly, when will the madness end? Vendors are without doubt, more deluded than 2005-2007.

That is stunning :blink:

Planning officer needs a kicking.

Ames

HOLA4420
  • 2 weeks later...
HOLA4421

National

South West

Bristol

You can do your own Bristol specific analysis here: http://www.landregistry.gov.uk/public/house-prices-and-sales/search-the-index

Oh dear, this is a bit depressing. April Bristol Land Registry data now out, and we're back into year on year positive after a big monthly rise:

National

MoM: -0.3%

YoY: -1.0%

Average Price: £160,417

South West

MoM: +2.0%

YoY: +0.5%

Average Price: £174,261

Bristol

MoM: +1.5%

YoY: +0.7%

Average Price: £169,584

Last month was also revised up by a very healthy £800, so can't blame it on revisions. Total MoM price rise not including revisions over £3000! Transaction levels still pitiful.

If any consolation, the market seems to have turned on the ground in local patch - with a lot of people now lowering asking prices and not much selling.

HOLA4422

Oh dear, this is a bit depressing. April Bristol Land Registry data now out, and we're back into year on year positive after a big monthly rise:

National

MoM: -0.3%

YoY: -1.0%

Average Price: £160,417

South West

MoM: +2.0%

YoY: +0.5%

Average Price: £174,261

Bristol

MoM: +1.5%

YoY: +0.7%

Average Price: £169,584

Last month was also revised up by a very healthy £800, so can't blame it on revisions. Total MoM price rise not including revisions over £3000! Transaction levels still pitiful.

If any consolation, the market seems to have turned on the ground in local patch - with a lot of people now lowering asking prices and not much selling.

Sadly more or less reflects what is happening in my search areas. There was definitely a spring bump, maybe linked to end of stamp duty holiday, which may have temporarily changed sentiment and so I think the market will need another 6 months for the froth to calm down. In my local area asking prices are way higher than 6 months ago but for now nothing is selling and I think

they will slowly start going down. I have postponed my buying plans for another year.

HOLA4423

Transaction levels still pitiful.

Bristol house prices seem so disconnected from both earnings or letting incomes. Beyond a BoE IR hike and the possibility of rent licensing scheme I wonder how long this stand-off can continue before something breaks? Even auction stock is becoming more curious with lots of garages, scraps of land and more less desirable areas proliferating.

Are he distressed sales appearing anywhere, or being mopped-up by the Banks' OBS vehicles?

Ted

• 3 weeks later...
HOLA4424
  • 4 weeks later...
HOLA4425