roblpm

Edinbugh Latest

3,391 posts in this topic

On 4/3/2016 at 8:02 AM, ccc said:

There is one on the bridge. Opposite that farm food place that's being knocked down and replaced by some generic pish.

So I walked past that public toilet yesterday (doing the Water of Leith Walkway). It still stands, but closing date was August 16, IIRC. The farm food place also still stands. I also noticed that the  Quartermile is still unfinished. Ocean Terminal seemed to be doing okay, but BHS has closed and the Wagamama was empty at 6, while the one on Lothian had a good queue at 7.

Yes Edinburgh is a strange place these days. Lothian Road has now become one of the 'trendy' places to go. Lots of beards and 'street' food. I prefer shit hole boozers personally.

That farm food place doesn't have long left. As for the bogs - I don't know I don't hang around men's public toilets very often. During the week.

Also states average selling time is less than two weeks - yet the actual average and median numbers they state are 22 and 43 !! Fantastic reporting as usual from the news :)

It is certainly a lot busier in Edinburgh than its been for a while though.

Just as London and areas are starting to show real signs of a big slowdown.

Carbon copy of 2008 so far. 

Encouraging to see the comments though. I do get a real impression the obsession with high house prices = great is being slowly eroded away over the years.

Back in 2008 times these stories seemed to have a rough 50-50 split between those who loved high prices and those who hated them. 

Nowadays it's 90%+ from the comments I read on stories like this.

I wonder if all those with kids now growing up are slowly realising rising prices are not the godsend they once believed ?

Seeing a lot of property moving around me, (Lower Granton road). However I am no longer alone as a sad man who bitterly condemns the property/banking system we have and its effect on generation rent. Prob the majority of folks would now agree with me. Brexit could have a big impact on Edinburgh if the banks decide to feck off, much like Aberdeen with the Oil.

Hello

Looking to return from Atlanta to Edinburgh in the Spring of next year - been living in the USA for 22 years. 

Want to purchase a flat in the Edinburgh area - something modern, open plan and recently built. You get a bit spoilt with the property options here in Atlanta.

Anyone have an opinion on Platinum Point? There are a number of 2 or 3 bedroom flats that are pretty spacious on the market and not too dissimilar to my place in Atlanta. However, not familiar with the history of this development (I understand the original developer went bankrupt) and the homeowners association seems a little unhelpful. Would be interested in other people's opinions on the development, future plans for the land around it, the HOA or pricing trends.

Many thanks

Andrew

Only heard bad things about it. Wasn't built structurally properly to begin with. Owners had long battle to get this remedied. 

My pals brother also does property maintenance - he says the place is in a poor state. It's also got numerous airbnb and holiday let's in it. Hoards of polish and every other nationality you can think of by all accounts.

I wouldn't touch with a bargepole - but I'm just one person so maybe others have different opinions.

The UK is very poor for property. If you want anything solid then you will have to go old. Problem with this of course is well.... they're old !! So lots can and does go wrong and needs constantly maintained.

New will be less hassle to start off with - but build quality is horrendous.

In short - it's all pretty shit.

Good luck !!

Returning to HPC through frustration (been a long time!) - anyone agree that ESPC is a complete joke?

I'm not hoping for a crash (not silly enough at this stage), but I did notice that the December 2016 report that espc published very quietly a few days back shows drops in some areas of Central Edinburgh, compared to Oct-Dec 2015.

https://espc.com/news/espc-house-price-report-december-2016 

You have to view the table to see the areas with the drops, as it's not mentioned among the chat.  Admittedly the overall trend is up both for City, and City Centre.

On 17/01/2017 at 6:50 PM, toreveal said:

I'm not hoping for a crash (not silly enough at this stage), but I did notice that the December 2016 report that espc published very quietly a few days back shows drops in some areas of Central Edinburgh, compared to Oct-Dec 2015.

https://espc.com/news/espc-house-price-report-december-2016 

You have to view the table to see the areas with the drops, as it's not mentioned among the chat.  Admittedly the overall trend is up both for City, and City Centre.

A friend of mine is now selling their BTL flat in central(ish) edinburgh. They bought it (I think) 4 years ago and seem a bit miffed that it has now gone on the market just a few thousand more than they paid for it originally, not sure the area it is in is quite as 'up and coming' as they were expecting.

21 minutes ago, lulu said:

A friend of mine is now selling their BTL flat in central(ish) edinburgh. They bought it (I think) 4 years ago and seem a bit miffed that it has now gone on the market just a few thousand more than they paid for it originally, not sure the area it is in is quite as 'up and coming' as they were expecting.

Nice to hear.

Unfortunately they seem to be jumping off the shelves in other areas, from what I see around me.  Not holding my breath.

I've been nosing around Sunday viewings the last few weeks - was dead before Xmas but some things which are reasonably priced are moving fast. Lots of BTL dross getting listed, which is going nowhere. Development next to me has 8 listings, only 1 of them looks like it has been lived in. Saw an actual repo last week, which wasn't disclosed by the agent (no internal pics - should have known). 

DJ Alexander keep ringing me claiming that bang average and overpriced flats are laden with notes of interest, but they don't seem to be going to closing dates or going under offer.

Am still tempted by the Borders, where prices are going backwards, lots of people trying to shift stuff at a paper loss.

Interesting. I'm not overly bothered about buying in Edinburgh these days. I may but it's not a big deal to me anymore.

I'm more interested in the 'burbs these days, or anywhere with a decent train connection. 20-odd years in the city centre, I've done my time. Nothing I've seen in the last few weeks is tempting me to jump in. Still people trying to double their money from 07/08. Tons of BTLers trying to bail.