House Price Crash Forum

Bournemouth

buytoilet

HOLA441
You've only got to look at the Boscombe demographics... Yes - the sea front is too damned expensive but just behind it you've still got bed-sit CENTRAL. A lot of of the Bournemouth low-paid workers and Benefits sitters live just behind there... and come summer you sit on Boscombe beach and it is CHAV CENTRAL. No one from the area would CHOOSE to pay stooopid amonts to live in Boscombe.... It may be cosmopolitan, but just walking through boscombe high street you still have old second hand cruddy furniture stores... pawn your stereo stores... cash your cheque here stores... and stores you think 'how the F+-? do you even stay afloat'!! That old arcade in Boscombe is still half empty! You walk down past that ROUGH pub just opposite richer sounds at night and you get all the ROUGH lot in there that may as well come from a deprived estate on the outskirts of Liverpool. You pass god knows how many odd balls in the high street.... It really doesn't ring with the type of image they are projecting right on the sea front. Boscombe will always be Boscombe.... Its a bit tough to say it but its got that turdy element to it... try as they may to polish it. Just over the wrong side of the high street you've got the packed terraces with still a lot of a 'rougher' families all mixed in with the odd smack head here and there above an amusement arcade... The Crescent and walpole road with a reputation that still hasn't cleared. Any local knows where the cheaper more affordable shoe boxes to live in are in Bournemouth - from Asda thru springbourne right up to north Boscombe. Any surfers will make sure their combi van is well locked... oh wait a minute there is no where to park... the council sold off the parking for another development!

In all seriousness .... why spend £600k in Boscombe when you can live in Alum chine or the west cliff - or come to think of it Bransome park. Who would seriously even trust a luxury expensive car in Boscombe out of a locked garage... It would always be at the back of your mind it might be keyed!! anyone from the area knows I'm right!

;o)

Have you walked the back roads to the east of Boscombe pier, some of the best house in Bournemouth are on these roads. Will Boscombe become a good place to live once again. Yes once the surf reef is finished the place will come alive, the gentrification will take time but it will happen. look at parts of East london that no one wanted to live in. You know back of Liverpool st station and down to Bow, Aldgate. these place are 10 mins to the city and no one wanted to live there, they would rather have commuted 1 hour from accross London, rather than live there. Now look its a cool place to live. Lots of loft conversion and victorian terraces. Old match factorys converted for city living.

The big companys seem to think Boscombe will take off and have started buying shop space at cheap rental cost, also securing a place on the high street. HSBC have opend, 2 large coffe chains are now there and a Vodafone. Agreed prices are high, but they are high everywhere. Rember forutune favors the brave thats how they make money, if you sit back and wait for it to happen it will be to late. Hence all the developers vying for postion at the only artifical surf reef in Europe. I am sure the purist will still go to Newquay and come up with something about the waves not being as clean as they are in Newquay. But Tarquin and Jemmima from Clapaham will come as it only a hour and a half from London, also lots of familys bringing thier kids to learn to surf.

If the surf reef is a sucess and can produce the waves for beginners and intemediates, Boscombe will boom.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

HOLA442
HOLA443
Have you walked the back roads to the east of Boscombe pier, some of the best house in Bournemouth are on these roads. Will Boscombe become a good place to live once again. Yes once the surf reef is finished the place will come alive, the gentrification will take time but it will happen.

I agree, I bought in Boscome Manor in the mid 90s when people were almost thrusting keys into your hands and begging you to take the place from them. I could have bought in Canford Cliffs but the growth has been better in Boscombe over the period.

South of Christchurch road is pretty much ok and even the stuff between the main road and railway has potential - a lot of good terrace housing. There is a lot of potentially very nice housing north of the Crescent even if the area is poor and things have improved slowly overall.

Things will get worse in the short term but Boscombe will be the place to invest in 4-5 years time.

HOLA444
  • 3 weeks later...
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
Southbourne is sandbanks without the glitz and mega£ cost of buying into .

Has anyone noticed any price drops around the southbourne area like Bh6

I'm in BH5 - I've been keeping my eye on the area round the Commodore but no price drops to date. the Percey Shelley is a good pub too, good beer but a bit of a hang out for OaPs in the winter. Like the Pierpoint too.

HOLA448
HOLA449

Re the boscombe artificial reef -just found this on bournemouthsurfreef.co.uk

How much does it cost?

None of the funding for the reef and the Boscombe Spa Regeneration Project has come from tax-payers’ money. The construction cost of the reef is £2.68million. Bournemouth Borough Council raised the £9.66 million Boscombe Spa Regeneration Project funds through the sale of an under-used seafront car park.

Who originally paid for the car park?

HOLA4410

Public money, no doubt.

But as a local I do get the feeling that the reef - if it produces the expected surf - will possibly be a bigger success than anyone thinks. Surfing is growing, and widening its appeal. I can see this having a real effect on the surrounding area. The reef could prove cheap at 3 million.

HOLA4411
Public money, no doubt.

But as a local I do get the feeling that the reef - if it produces the expected surf - will possibly be a bigger success than anyone thinks. Surfing is growing, and widening its appeal. I can see this having a real effect on the surrounding area. The reef could prove cheap at 3 million.

Agreed IF the Surf reef produces the waves Boscombe will be the place to be. A lot of short sighted people can not see through what Boscombe is now to how it will be in the future.

Just had another big price drop in BH9, checking on housprices.co.uk we are now back to 2003 prices

HOLA4412
Agreed IF the Surf reef produces the waves Boscombe will be the place to be. A lot of short sighted people can not see through what Boscombe is now to how it will be in the future.

Just had another big price drop in BH9, checking on housprices.co.uk we are now back to 2003 prices

Just spotted this one

> 30/06/2008 £960,000 Flat L Yes Map Honeycombe Beach, Flat 145, Honeycombe Chine, Boscombe, Bournemouth, BH5 1LG

not a million but not far off either

HOLA4413

Down on Sandbanks peninsula this afternoon. Brilliant sun, but far too windy to cast a bass lure out into the sea.

From Cafe Shore drove down to the Ferry, round the loop, and back to Cafe Shore. How far in total - half a mile? Glanced down Brownsea and Seacombe Roads.

I counted 48 For Sale, To Let and Let signs. Not one Sold sign.

A month ago there were 18 FS, TL and L signs.

WTF is going on down there?

Have they suddenly realised price falls are going to hit them, as well?

Or, as the financial tide goes out, are we seeing who has been swimming naked?

Anyone else been down there lately?

Rightmove/Property-bee suddenly shows a marked increase in price reductions in Poole.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
Down on Sandbanks peninsula this afternoon. Brilliant sun, but far too windy to cast a bass lure out into the sea.

From Cafe Shore drove down to the Ferry, round the loop, and back to Cafe Shore. How far in total - half a mile? Glanced down Brownsea and Seacombe Roads.

I counted 48 For Sale, To Let and Let signs. Not one Sold sign.

A month ago there were 18 FS, TL and L signs.

WTF is going on down there?

Have they suddenly realised price falls are going to hit them, as well?

Or, as the financial tide goes out, are we seeing who has been swimming naked?

Anyone else been down there lately?

Rightmove/Property-bee suddenly shows a marked increase in price reductions in Poole.

Hi juvenal

I was down that way with the misses and daughter last week, park for free, walk upto the ferry and along the beach through the car park past cafe shore and back to the car and oh my god for such an exclusive area there seems to be a lot of property on the market.

Bass fishing I see alot of people fish on the drift by the ferry, i think studland side is better. when ever I fish down there all I get is loads of seaweed and the odd weaver.

• 2 weeks later...
HOLA4416
Hi juvenal

I was down that way with the misses and daughter last week, park for free, walk upto the ferry and along the beach through the car park past cafe shore and back to the car and oh my god for such an exclusive area there seems to be a lot of property on the market.

Bass fishing I see alot of people fish on the drift by the ferry, i think studland side is better. when ever I fish down there all I get is loads of seaweed and the odd weaver.

Thanks for info, Buytoilet.

Just back from Sidmouth, Devon. Caught two small mackerel. Restored my faith. I'll give Studland side a go with the beachcaster. I'll do another count on the Sale signs on Sandbanks, as well

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419

I'm looking at BH9 as well, specifically the Tudor Park and Georgian houses in Sandringham area. Sadly still in denial in some parts.

In fact the asking prices seem to be going up in some cases :blink:

On houseprices I've been tracking the 6 or so roads on Tudor Park, and the absolute peak is one in Sidney Gardens which sold for £322k in Feb 08, in the same road one sold for £315k in June 08. £325k for this one though.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-230...p;mam_disp=true

In the Georgian estates, top price seems to have been £390k for one in Sandringham in Nov 07. Offers in excess of £365k for this one,which is similar to prices last summer.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-191...p;mam_disp=true

This one which is slightly smaller is more sensibly priced at 299k, but only considering getting involved when these get down to £250k. 3 similar ones sold for £320-330k last summer.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-660...p;mam_disp=true

Edited by MattyNeth

HOLA4420
I'm looking at BH9 as well, specifically the Tudor Park and Georgian houses in Sandringham area. Sadly still in denial in some parts.

In fact the asking prices seem to be going up in some cases :blink:

On houseprices I've been tracking the 6 or so roads on Tudor Park, and the absolute peak is one in Sidney Gardens which sold for £322k in Feb 08, in the same road one sold for £315k in June 08. £325k for this one though.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-230...p;mam_disp=true

In the Georgian estates, top price seems to have been £390k for one in Sandringham in Nov 07. Offers in excess of £365k for this one,which is similar to prices last summer.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-191...p;mam_disp=true

This one which is slightly smaller is more sensibly priced at 299k, but only considering getting involved when these get down to £250k. 3 similar ones sold for £320-330k last summer.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-660...p;mam_disp=true

Bloody hell that last property has been on since Feb

HOLA4421

Down on the end of Boscombe Pier today. No fish around, but met a group of angling locals who told me the artificial reef won't now be completed until next year. Genial crowd, perhaps because they were drinking cider in the sunshine. One had his own pint glass, which I haven't seen before in those circumstances. No work appeared to be going on out on the reef, but the sea was like glass and the sun beautiful. Those new balconied flats on the front ain't going to sell anytime soon, that's for sure.

Nothing much to report, just touching base...

HOLA4422

Work has re-commenced on the reef today the barge is back and looks like they are working overtime.

property bee very busy lots of falls between 4-12% in the BH6 and BH5.

personally I'm looking to by in southbourne two bed flat. Looks like you can buy one without a sea view for around 165k at present but heading southwards.

adios

HOLA4423
personally I'm looking to by in southbourne two bed flat. Looks like you can buy one without a sea view for around 165k at present but heading southwards.

In 1999 I looked at a Southbourne 2 bed with sea views for around 70K. I would have said around 80-85k would be reasonable for a southbourne 2 bed without sea views.

HOLA4424
Work has re-commenced on the reef today the barge is back and looks like they are working overtime.

property bee very busy lots of falls between 4-12% in the BH6 and BH5.

adios

I just had my 2 bed flat valued in Argyll Road - Connells did it - he said it was worth about the same as what I bought it for 3 years ago!! Nice one. :rolleyes: Talking of restaurants - have you tried Urban Beach (Argyll Road/Sea Road). Excellent food & drinks. Friendly people running it. Great place to have Sunday brunch.

I am hanging on for Boscombe - I love it there and love the beach / pier etc. Yes in summer the grockles come and ruin it - but have you checked out the people around Bournemouth pier in the summer? :blink:

HOLA4425