House Price Crash Forum

Yorkshire Golden Triangle - Harrogate & Around

HOLA441

I was thinking of this....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUH1XmFb05Y

I'll get my coat.

i'd realised. 'youth of today' was MY's sadly overlooked second single. but i provided the fuller description of the estate because i hadn't originally been sure about which precise area was being asked about & thought it might be of interest.

Edited by the flying pig

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

Just an update re surge of properties with no one to buy then in Hazzer.

Sample upto 300k houses in harrogate - 320 in early Januray (had this down as 307 but was my error) and is now 504. So a fairly hefty jump in 8 months.

Very few buyers (completitions for that matter) during peak time with supply outstripping imagine what it will be like come Autumn when the cuts start to hit and for that matter next year when reality has well and truely landed for the UK.

Great indication of what is going on out there......still overpriced for the area.....

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-16466664.html

Now upto 524 properties, has dropped off a touch in the last couple of weeks but still rising!

HOLA443

Now upto 524 properties, has dropped off a touch in the last couple of weeks but still rising!

I've got 767 on my Harrogate/houses search. It dropped a little over the last fortnight or so but appears to be increasing again.

I've noticed a few more SSTC boards of late, but still more new properties coming on the market.

Question is - why now in Harrogate and not, say, 8 months ago?

I'm still waiting to see if there are any significant drops though. Sellers are usually stubborn - and I bet even more so in Harrogate!

• 2 weeks later...
HOLA444
  • 1 month later...
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448

RM link

Well, that's a nice barn ruined.

what a pile of shit.

it looks like... i'm at a loss, an upmarket dental surgery?

makes me ashamed to be from yorkshire.

how did things come to this?

what sort of family/couple/individual/whatever possibly want to live in a place like that, never mind pay three quarters of a million quid for it?

Edited by the flying pig

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411

'Continental Crispness' my ****.

It'd be like living in a hospital ward. Sterile, lifeless, austere.

And 750k for a 3 bed house. Tsk.

You just don't get it. This is not just Birstwith, it's High Birstwith. Where the prices are even higher than the noses and the air of self importance. Really handy for the prep school too.

Ok, the prices is too high but I said that about the new house in Hampsthwaite that has the wonderful view of the backside of the village hall and the recyling bins and I see that has sold this week. Aspiration is not always bounded by common sense when there is status at stake.

• 4 weeks later...
HOLA4412

I don't get what's happening in Harrogate at the minute - that's for sure. The number of houses on the market have dropped - whether that's as people have taken them off the market, or that a number have sold and people aren't putting them back on, I'm not sure. From nearly 800 a couple of months ago (Harrogate/Houses on RM), there are down to 740.

Is Harrogate truly immune? I don't think so, but prices do appear to be standing up.

• 2 weeks later...
HOLA4413

The house that may or may not be owned by obsessive hedge cutters has had another price drop

Sun 12 Dec 2010 08:37:39 BST

* Brief Description changed: A *REDUCED FOR QUICK SALE!*A four bedroom detached family home set in this sought after residential location. Briefly comprising: entrance hallway, dining room, living room and kitchen. To the first floor, four bedrooms and house bathroom. Externally gardens to the rear, driveway and detached garage.

* Price changed: from '£425,000' to '£400,000'

HOLA4414

just noticed this.

certainly one of the more overpriced properties i've seen recently, £550k for a three-bed flat in Yorkshire, nice.

strangely no takers since it was first listed many months ago [my pwoperdee bee first picked it up this summer but i daresay it may have been there considerably longer].

neither the gushing description, the risible attempt to charge a 300% mark-up on some nice renovations, nor the eye-watering price tag would be out of place in one of the nicer areas of London.

HOLA4415

just noticed this.

certainly one of the more overpriced properties i've seen recently, £550k for a three-bed flat in Yorkshire, nice.

It looks like someone's been to every overpriced interior design boutique in Harrogate. A fool and his money...

05/11/2009 £304,000 Flat L No Map Flat 1, Strayside Mews, 2, Leeds Road, Harrogate, North Yorkshire, HG2 8AA

HOLA4416

It looks like someone's been to every overpriced interior design boutique in Harrogate. A fool and his money...

05/11/2009 £304,000 Flat L No Map Flat 1, Strayside Mews, 2, Leeds Road, Harrogate, North Yorkshire, HG2 8AA

er, you're joking - is that the same place?

they bought a flat for £300k last winter, did it up, & put it back on the market for £540k this summer? i wonder how much the work they did cost? Fifty grand feels like a fairly high estimate to me?

i guess the fact that it's completely empty is the clue - a case of a flipper who didn't even bother to move in.

currently racking up a grand a month in interest payments whilst the pwoperdee remains unsold.

i do like the decor to be fair [other than the ridiculous side-by-side butler type sinks in the bathroom, this is a home not a hotel], it's a nice place in a nice building but the price is just a nonsense. even with bubble market prices it can only possibly be worth three hundred-odd grand.

given that £500k breaches the next stamp duty threshold my guess is that the 'canny seller' is hoping to be bargained down by someone to around £499k. my guess is that he's in for a long wait.

HOLA4417
HOLA4418

Yep! the brochure identifies it as Flat 1, 2 Leeds Road and I had to do a double-take myself.

I think this is one worth watching...

i don't like chucking superlatives around willy-nilly but can't help but wonder if that isn't highly likely to be one of the most overpriced residential properties in the entire country.

fitting that is should be in harrogate. arx celebris pwoperdee and all that.

Edited by the flying pig

• 1 month later...
HOLA4419

Bewildering status changes

Sat 29 Jan 2011 19:07:57 BST * Status changed: from 'Premium Listing' to 'Available'

Fri 07 Jan 2011 09:45:17 BST * Status changed: from 'Available' to 'Premium Listing' [Found by n/a]

Mon 03 Jan 2011 18:48:24 BST * Status changed: from 'Premium Listing' to 'Available' [Found by n/a]

Fri 31 Dec 2010 22:45:42 BST * Status changed: from 'Available' to 'Premium Listing' [Found by n/a]

Wed 22 Dec 2010 12:26:44 BST * Status changed: from 'Premium Listing' to 'Available' [Found by n/a]

Sat 18 Dec 2010 07:18:06 BST * Status changed: from 'Available' to 'Premium Listing'

Thu 16 Dec 2010 00:08:34 BST * Status changed: from 'Premium Listing' to 'Available' [Found by n/a]

Wed 01 Dec 2010 15:57:00 BST * Status changed: from 'Available' to 'Premium Listing' [Found by n/a]

Fri 19 Nov 2010 17:54:08 BST * Status changed: from 'Premium Listing' to 'Available' [Found by n/a]

Fri 05 Nov 2010 20:54:33 BST * Status changed: from 'Available' to 'Premium Listing' [Found by n/a]

Sat 09 Oct 2010 18:46:43 BST * Status changed: from 'Premium Listing' to 'Available' [Found by n/a]

Tue 07 Sep 2010 13:26:51 BST * Status changed: from 'Available' to 'Premium Listing' [Found by n/a]

Tue 07 Sep 2010 08:21:42 BST * Initial entry found. [Found by n/a]

• 4 weeks later...
HOLA4420
  • 1 month later...
HOLA4421
  • 5 weeks later...
HOLA4422

top, top journalism by the advertiser.

the newspaper should throw its weight behind this campaign.

My link

“There is no objection in principle to the development of this land. More importantly, and unusually, there is no disagreement between residents and the applicants – we are all united in the view that the area is both unsuitable and unsustainable as a location for affordable housing accommodation.”

:lol:

I was searching for the words "we don't want that sort of thing here do we", not quite there, but should be!

• 3 months later...
HOLA4423

How about this one - 25% reduction in asking price in 9 month (went on the market in January 2011) - started at £699,959 now £525,000

4 bed detached Rossett Park Road, Harrogate, HG2

Property Bee shows us:

07 September 2011

• Price changed: £525,000

20 June 2011

• Price changed: £540,000

15 February 2011

• Price changed: £599,950

03 February 2011

• Price changed: £625,000

31 January 2011

• Price changed: £650,000

14 January 2011

• Brief Description found: A brick built, four bedroom, detached family property situated in this much sought after location to the favoured south side of Harrogate, forming part of this quiet residential area close to the Leed...

• Price found: £699,950

HOLA4424

How about this - £575,000 reduced to £499,000 1 month after listing.

(Although the £575k figure was absolutely mental and the £499k is still well overpriced for the location - but looks like someone has had a sudden dose of reality)

5 bed detached Pecketts Way

14 September 2011

Price changed: £575,000 £499,999

12 August 2011

Brief Description found: A beautifully presented, brick built, detached and extended family property situated in this popular residential location close to local shopping parades and, in turn, the Harrogate town centre, offer...

Price found: £575,000

HOLA4425

How about this - £575,000 reduced to £499,000 1 month after listing.

(Although the £575k figure was absolutely mental and the £499k is still well overpriced for the location - but looks like someone has had a sudden dose of reality)

5 bed detached Pecketts Way

14 September 2011

Price changed: £575,000 £499,999

12 August 2011

Brief Description found: A beautifully presented, brick built, detached and extended family property situated in this popular residential location close to local shopping parades and, in turn, the Harrogate town centre, offer...

Price found: £575,000

Hate it.

People say, don't they, that it's a lot better to buy the worst house on the best street rather than vice versa. This would be a classic example of doing the opposite.

The front looks rubbish - extended to a width that doesn't suit the house type at all, and a loft conversion in a medium-to-large sized house in a low-to-mid priced area smacks of desperation.

And what kind of street name is "Pecket"?

This all said, it's offering a lot of square footage in [the very outskirts of] a very expensive town. The >£500k price tag was pure fantasy, I doubt they had a single viewing at that level, but I daresay that north of £400k is achievable.