equitystasher

Brighton Area

3,097 posts in this topic

Stuff still moving in East Brighton - THIS DUMP is on Whitehawk Broadway (!) and is surrounded by chavs every weekend night.

Yes, but with whom, exactly?

Hahaha!!! I walked down there the other day on my way to Lidl - long walk but good exercise - and wondered who the feck could have bought that place and how much it went for. With a big block of council flats literally next door (you can see them in the pic) and a mere petrol bomb's throw from the Whitehawk estate it's hardly what you'd call a des res. The whole street on that side is a sea of sold signs. Could only be BTL.

Jesus Christ though, when I walked down there there were the usual mentalists, chavs and rough as a badger's arrse women all shouting at each other and as usual the poor blokes at the bus depot were quietly surveying the sorry scene. Feckin awful area. Not quite Whitehawk prime but still definitely not the kind of place to wander after dark. Or buy a house. :rolleyes:

A lot of student properties remain empty. Letting agents still advertising student lets when years back they would make the students rent them from July 1st. Rents are going down too from £80.00 per week to £65.00. University even selling some of its portfolio. Hopefully it's the beginning of the long goodbye to the amateur BTL'S. :rolleyes::lol:

Sounds like desperation.

I am sure that in the latest jump in BTL mortgages will reflect quite a few more new landlords looking for students in Brighton.Could also account for the silly price inflation Brighton has seen in the last year but with yeilds so low maybe the investors have now suddenly evaporated?

With the land registry reflecting 0% price inflation in Brighton and Hove for July maybe soon we might be seeing some negatives coming through soon. I am sure that that there will be a great many landlords wanting to sell once they see that they are subsidising a loss or want to protect their gains. I must admit I am keeping a eye on the three bedroom type house in the bn2 area. There has been quite a few more added in the last couple of weeks especially at the lower price end and there is alot of stock hanging about which 6 months ago would of gone in a blink of a eye.

Edited by equitystasher

Hope threads about Brighton dont die a death. I've just joined site and am finding it very interesting. Is Hove included as well? Have been collecting Latest Homes for a while now, so I can cross reference what is really reduced or what was reduced six months ago and still advertising as just reduced. Best one so far in Woodingdean price £599950.00 stamp duty paid, now it's reduced to £575000.00 plus stamp duty. Some reduction some price and still on the market six months on :lol::lol::lol:

Yes Hove is include. I have not seen latest homes for a while but a couple of months ago some of the agent started using "new price" sticker on their adverts.

I am sure there are a few EA's worrying about the sales volume impacting on their own looming fixed mortgage reset. There is alot of them chasing alot fewer sales and having to actually sale a house rather then take orders.

Looked at transactions for Brighton June 2007 compared with June 2007 and there was 50% drop in the amount of sales. Puts pressure on EA's to succesfully talk down a vendors price expectations to a buyers expectations.

Lots of empty flats / maisonettes down my street too these last couple of months. Noticable at night as many houses have no lights on, and some have the blinds permanently drawn. Most noticable too as you're actually guaranteed a parking space lately, normally if you get back after 6:30pm you're totally out of luck.

And yeah equitystasher it was nice to see B&H HPI frozen in July. The young couple currently in the process of moving in to the basement flat downstairs could have made a quite catastrophic financial error. Not had a chance to talk to them yet! I detect the distinct whiff of bank of mum and dad about them though.

I had a wander round my area (Kemptown) at the weekend and was surprised at the amount of For Sale signs up- half of Rock Street seems to be on the market, and there were two adjacent places off Marine Parade up for auction.

I was chatting to a decorator the other day who had to be off on a new job at 7.30 Monday morning, for some rich landlord who told him "he could charge what he wanted" to get his place ready for sale ASAP.

Reading the Argus today "An area covering all of Whitehawk and stretching to Bristol Gardens, in Kemp Town, no longer receives deliveries from Asda because the supermarket is worried about its drivers safety"

Hope it is in the National press by the end of the week might do something to the prices around there :rolleyes:

I have been following the BTL market in Brighton for years.

Interestingly the number of flats for sale in Brighton between £60k and £250k has gone up form around 300 to 830 in the last 6 months.

Although a huge flood of property, the estate agents are finding july and august well below normal.

The yields do not stack up anymore on properties and seem to be being bought by first time BTL brigade, who do not understand economics.

Reading the Argus today "An area covering all of Whitehawk and stretching to Bristol Gardens, in Kemp Town, no longer receives deliveries from Asda because the supermarket is worried about its drivers safety"

Hope it is in the National press by the end of the week might do something to the prices around there :rolleyes:

Aha, I saw that headline on a board outside a newsagent yesterday. Of course the board left out the offending estate as a hook. I said to my companion, 'bet it's Whitehawk'. :P

Here's the story online, with the reporter apparently taking a pro-scum line:

Supermarket snubs community

Just had to add this comment left by an argus reader:

I am one of the drivers at ASDA. Now, until you have personally experienced what it is like to deliver to some back street in deepest darkest Whitehawk at 9pm on a Friday night, don't come moaning to us. Trust me, it is a f***ing scary experience. The facts speak for themselves. We delivered to Whitehawk for two weeks, in that two weeks two drivers were attacked and another had some shopping stolen. Outside Whitehawk, in the three months or so that we have been operating, we have only had one minor theft. Co-incidence? I think not. It is the minority spoiling it for the majority, but at the end of the day our safety has to be priority. And for me mere £6.28 an hour, I'm not putting myself in any danger whatsoever.

They're even including OUR area (Wilson Ave, Marlow Rd, Reading Rd, Peel Rd) which most assuredly is not Whitehawk!

:o:o:o

= :lol: I pop over the hill to Sainsbury's, anyway.

Hello yellercat was there much fear and loathing to be had in Brighton and Hove tonight? :lol::lol::lol:

Did you happen to mention NR or the latest Rightmove survey? 3.3% down in the south east. :lol::lol::lol:

Interestingly the number of flats for sale in Brighton between £60k and £250k has gone up form around 300 to 830 in the last 6 months.

Although a huge flood of property, the estate agents are finding july and august well below normal.

The yields do not stack up anymore on properties and seem to be being bought by first time BTL brigade, who do not understand economics.

Lovely news Crown. :lol::lol::lol: Off to do my bit now and spread the fear and loathing in Brighton and Hove :P

Hello yellercat was there much fear and loathing to be had in Brighton and Hove tonight? :lol::lol::lol:

The atmosphere in our pub was diabolical on Friday night - City lawyer type seriously worried about the economy. Could've been down to the rugby though! :P

The atmosphere in our pub was diabolical on Friday night - City lawyer type seriously worried about the economy. Could've been down to the rugby though! :P

Try taking Wednesday's Argus in next time and in a loud voice "Oh my word look at all these reavailables whatever can that mean" :lol: or maybe "There's over 200 flats in this rag with vacant possession anyone know what that means?" :lol: Better not though in this property developer, investor, estate agent, letting agent btl riddled town you might be lynched :blink:

Sounds a very nice increase in supply at the bottom of the pyramid. Please try and keep track and post any increases.

My search on Rightmove of Bn2 which is quite a small area has recently jumped from 7 to nearly 9 pages. Will keep a eye out and post any updates.

As far as prices the majority still seem determined to hold out for their asking price.

I nearly bought this 6 months ago

http://www.rydon.co.uk/rydonhomes/assets/h...ework_home.html

It was originally advertised at 345,000

I was going to pay 330,000

I did complete as I knew it was to much

They tried to sell 325,000 but I think some else managed to get them down too 315,000

But its still reserved which means the buyer is probably pulling out.

So I guess we we see it for 300,000 soon still with no buyers

I nearly bought this 6 months ago

http://www.rydon.co.uk/rydonhomes/assets/h...ework_home.html

It was originally advertised at 345,000

I was going to pay 330,000

I did complete as I knew it was to much

They tried to sell 325,000 but I think some else managed to get them down too 315,000

But its still reserved which means the buyer is probably pulling out.

So I guess we we see it for 300,000 soon still with no buyers

I have heard alot of adverts on the radio for Rydon developments. Not the odd one now and again but one almost every advert break. Must be eager to shift these :P

I know of at least 30 student properties still lying empty, so it makes me wonder how many there really are. How many I wonder belong to new BTL'S. They want on average £1700pcm for some sh****le in Moulsecombe. How many will go to the wall in the next couple of months, because if they are not filled now the LL's must be bricking it.

I have heard alot of adverts on the radio for Rydon developments. Not the odd one now and again but one almost every advert break. Must be eager to shift these :P

They have 2 units reserved, but they have been reserved for ever...

I wish, but at 300K for a 1000 sqft shoe box, that isn't cheap..

I think we will see a 20% reduction in price in the next 2 years

Edited by 234SALE

They have 2 units reserved, but they have been reserved for ever...

I wish, but at 300K for a 1000 sqft shoe box, that isn't cheap..

I think we will see a 20% reduction in price in the next 2 years

I think possibly more. I would not want to live in a flat near West Street.That is hen and stag central. Plenty of shouting of vomit till the early hours every weekend. :P

Done :lol: I bet you are Rasputin.

Come on everyone else get those comments in ;)

I am RAS Putin indeed and you must be Milo!

Hey-ho off down the pub!

:lol:

That is very good news about flats. That is a BIG increase!

My search for 3 bedroom houses has now ticked up to 10 pages on rightmove.Nothing seems to be selling. Seeing a few starting to drop their asking price a few thousand. Also interestingly I have also seen some properties that were sold about three months back coming back onto the market. There are alot more goin to auction. I expect to see this increase over the next 3 months.

Anyone spoke to any EA's recently?