House Price Crash Forum

Aberdeen, Aspc Stats

HOLA441

This must be a joke!

In some aspects SNP and Tories think alike!

Under LBTT, property buyers are charged a percentage based on sale value, starting from £145,000. The levy is 2% on purchases between £145,000 and £250,000; 5% between £250,000 and £325,000; 10% between £325,000 and £750,000 and 12% on properties costing more than £750,000.

The Scottish Property Federation (SPF) has proposed widening the band on which five per cent is paid from £325,000 to £500,000 rather than the 10% band currently set above £325,000.

“Widening the band on which five per cent is paid to £500,000 would help return some much-needed fluidity to the housing market.”

Finance secretary Derek Mackay has indicated that he was willing to consider raising the upper limit of the 5% band to £500,000, thereby easing the tax burden on many homebuyers in the middle of the property market. If the change is carried out, it could provide an average saving of £9,000 to affected buyers.

https://www.agcc.co.uk/news-article/significant-contributing-factor-of-north-east-scotlands-slow-housing-market

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
46 minutes ago, ABZ_RVK said:

In Aberdeenshire, how much % price has reduced since last 2 to 3 years?

Many homes only show less than 5 % fall? is that correct? 

Some homes have had a 5% fall after the vendors have spent £50k adding an extension or £30k on internal refurbishment.  Some homes have fallen 20% and haven't had anything done.  Some haven't fallen at all (naive purchasers).  At a record of over five and a half thousand properties for sale in the area it really is a buyers' market.  Some buyers are just being a bit too keen and need to remember that asking price and selling price are two completely different things at the moment.

HOLA448
On 9/20/2017 at 2:48 PM, shortbread said:

1 Kinnairdy Close

https://www.aspc.co.uk/search/property/359662/1-Kinnairdy-Close/Banchory/

Bought: Jan'15 for £464k

For Sale: £440k

so if I look at something like this the % fall is only 5% over 2.5 years? So it looks as though it is safer to buy in Aberdeenshire than in City as even in worst scenarios the % fall is not going to be big? I would have thought it would have been much worse? 

HOLA449
56 minutes ago, quine said:

Some homes have had a 5% fall after the vendors have spent £50k adding an extension or £30k on internal refurbishment.  Some homes have fallen 20% and haven't had anything done.  Some haven't fallen at all (naive purchasers).  At a record of over five and a half thousand properties for sale in the area it really is a buyers' market.  Some buyers are just being a bit too keen and need to remember that asking price and selling price are two completely different things at the moment.

sorry, the above note was referring to your comment. So is it much safer to buy in Aberdeenshire? 

HOLA4410

None of us here are experts or can tell what is going to happen around Aberdeen however if you are really considering spending something like £400k+ you really need to know what you are doing. 

If it's your all time home then it's not an issue.   I get daily updates from ASPC and every day they are full of "price updates" ie people reducing their properties.  I'm also seeing properties coming on that have only been purchased within the last 2 years - people still losing their jobs (and obviously losing a lot of money)

55 Garthdee Farm Gardens has just been reduced, now asking £630k.  Last sold for £700k 2 years ago.  Vendor might have to reduce to £550k for all we know.  It's all about supply and demand and there's lots of supply at the moment.  No one needs to be making rash decisions that they'll regret in future.

https://www.aspc.co.uk/search/property/359305/55-Garthdee-Farm-Gardens/Aberdeen/

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
32 minutes ago, quine said:

This must be one of the ugliest houses I've seen for ages

https://www.aspc.co.uk/search/property/360908/58C-Whitehall-Place/Aberdeen/

How did planning permission get through for that I wonder?  It's an eyesore (not much privacy in the bedrooms either)

True. I am surprised to see how planning permission was approved on this one. 

38 minutes ago, quine said:

None of us here are experts or can tell what is going to happen around Aberdeen however if you are really considering spending something like £400k+ you really need to know what you are doing. 

If it's your all time home then it's not an issue.   I get daily updates from ASPC and every day they are full of "price updates" ie people reducing their properties.  I'm also seeing properties coming on that have only been purchased within the last 2 years - people still losing their jobs (and obviously losing a lot of money)

55 Garthdee Farm Gardens has just been reduced, now asking £630k.  Last sold for £700k 2 years ago.  Vendor might have to reduce to £550k for all we know.  It's all about supply and demand and there's lots of supply at the moment.  No one needs to be making rash decisions that they'll regret in future.

https://www.aspc.co.uk/search/property/359305/55-Garthdee-Farm-Gardens/Aberdeen/

its bit strange that different places in Aberdeen and Aberdeenshire shows a different picture. 

On a different note, I can still see a lot of 17 plates high-end German cars in Aberdeen, it looks as though people are still spending well on their cars. 

HOLA4413
17 hours ago, ABZ_RVK said:

True. I am surprised to see how planning permission was approved on this one. 

its bit strange that different places in Aberdeen and Aberdeenshire shows a different picture. 

On a different note, I can still see a lot of 17 plates high-end German cars in Aberdeen, it looks as though people are still spending well on their cars. 

I have 2 friends in car sales and both have confirmed sales have really taken a blow! far fewer walk-ins and no one is biting like before. Also plenty of people bringing back their cars but not being able to get rid of them. It's not pretty!

HOLA4414
9 hours ago, shortbread said:

I have 2 friends in car sales and both have confirmed sales have really taken a blow! far fewer walk-ins and no one is biting like before. Also plenty of people bringing back their cars but not being able to get rid of them. It's not pretty!

One of our Neighbour's just got laid off by GE so the oil patch is still not stable - still astonished at how resilient prices are in the outer areas of Aberdeenshire considering the area's faltering economics.

HOLA4415
22 hours ago, shortbread said:

I live in City centre and I can still see a lot of high-end German cars with 17 plates. I was under the same impression of what your friends in the car sales industry are saying but seems like the people are still able to afford new 17 plates in the city. Even if they are on the lease they are still not cheap?

HOLA4416
12 hours ago, Ignorantbliss said:

One of our Neighbour's just got laid off by GE so the oil patch is still not stable - still astonished at how resilient prices are in the outer areas of Aberdeenshire considering the area's faltering economics.

GE is laying off a fair few in the next while. Just like everyone else they have tons of empty desks and near empty floors.

Aberdeen is a dead man walking.

HOLA4417
3 hours ago, ABZ_RVK said:

I live in City centre and I can still see a lot of high-end German cars with 17 plates. I was under the same impression of what your friends in the car sales industry are saying but seems like the people are still able to afford new 17 plates in the city. Even if they are on the lease they are still not cheap?

Maybe, but sales have been really slow and there are some great offers available right now. Despite this very few are biting.....

http://www.insider.co.uk/company-results-forecasts/john-clark-motor-group-suffers-11238305

HOLA4418

As part of my ACCA membership i was yesterday offered the following seminar run by PWC - 'Aberdeen - Reversing the brain drain'. Shan't be attending but interesting to see people leaving Aberdeen referred to as a 'Brain Drain', not sure thats quite the right expression....

EVENT OVERVIEW

Speculation over the future of the North Sea has rumbled on for years. There will be challenges and significant opportunities for the industry and its many stakeholders in Aberdeen in the road ahead.

In their most recent “Northern Lights” research, PwC asked the next generation of Aberdeen professional talent, if they wanted to stay or leave Aberdeen. The results were stark; two-thirds of Aberdeen’s next generation aged 16-35 are considering leaving the city in the next five years.

How can Aberdeen stop this “brain drain” out of the city, and attract more talented young people to the area? 

HOLA4419
1 hour ago, regprentice said:

As part of my ACCA membership i was yesterday offered the following seminar run by PWC - 'Aberdeen - Reversing the brain drain'. Shan't be attending but interesting to see people leaving Aberdeen referred to as a 'Brain Drain', not sure thats quite the right expression....

EVENT OVERVIEW

Speculation over the future of the North Sea has rumbled on for years. There will be challenges and significant opportunities for the industry and its many stakeholders in Aberdeen in the road ahead.

In their most recent “Northern Lights” research, PwC asked the next generation of Aberdeen professional talent, if they wanted to stay or leave Aberdeen. The results were stark; two-thirds of Aberdeen’s next generation aged 16-35 are considering leaving the city in the next five years.

How can Aberdeen stop this “brain drain” out of the city, and attract more talented young people to the area? 

Too late for the question to be asked......

HOLA4420
1 hour ago, regprentice said:

EVENT OVERVIEW

maybe PWC can offer them apprenticeships in their insolvency practice. Will Aberdeen turn into a colder version of that other granite bound land that relied on natural resources ie Cornwall ? 

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
17 hours ago, Diver Dan said:

Citylets Q3 2017

I can't see if anybody else has posted this already.

Headlines include:

Time to let continuing to increase for most property types and average rent slightly lower than Q2 but slightly higher than Q1

Blimey, at this rate in the very near future it would be more expensive to rent in Glasgow than Aberdeen......

Rents in Aberdeen continue to level off, down 6.6% (YOY), and represent a vast improvement from the minus 20% or more previously recorded during 2016. Property to rent in Aberdeen typically now stands at £774 per month, just £2 above national average whereas it was £1 below last quarter. Also as per last quarter, 4 bed properties fared best down just 0.8% on last year. The average property currently takes 49 days to let, up 5 days on the same period 2016. 

The Glasgow market continued its rise in Q3 2017 recording 1.9% annual growth to stand at £747 on average. The average property to rent in Glasgow takes 23 days to let and 28% are let within a week 

Whilst growth has continued, Glasgow has not overtaken Aberdeen this quarter as the market in the Granite City continues to level off. With just £27 per month separating their average rents, down from £33 per month in Q2, it is unclear if rents in the two cities will now in fact cross over.

HOLA4423

There's always a hidden spin in these reports to mislead the hard of thinking!

Rents in Aberdeen continue to level off, down 6.6% (YOY), and represent a vast improvement from the minus 20% or more previously recorded during 2016".  Not really a vast improvement as the year-on-year %age drops are cumulative.....the 6.6% drop is in addition to the larger falls in 2015 and 2016 so the situation continues to worsen (or improve if you're looking to rent!)

HOLA4424

FFS https://www.aspc.co.uk/search/property/361142/47-Whitehall-Road/Aberdeen/

47 Whitehall Rd, bought Sept 2015 for £415k and "Upstairs insulated by Council in January 2016 " according to the questionnaire report.  Is this right?? Do the wonderful Aberdeen Schitty Council just throw money about to rich home owners?  Are these grants or whatever not means tested??

HOLA4425

£315k drop off another ugly house at Oakhill Grange.

Bought Oct 2014 for £1,415.00  now trying to sell for £1,100.00.

Big house but apart from that I can't see anything that's going for it.  Fixtures and fittings look cheap, decor looks like an office.  The back garden is hilarious.  It's not a million pound house by any stretch of the imagination.  I reckon they might be lucky and get £600k - £700k for it (if someone with the same "taste" comes along)

https://www.aspc.co.uk/search/property/361153/10-Oakhill-Grange/Aberdeen/