Jason

Historic Interest Rates, Historic Average

35 posts in this topic

This looks like a great set of data, but being new here, I'm a little confused as to the terminology.

What does columns showing data such as "2.9%-M-1.0" as for example in November 2003 mean?

I take it M represents the inflation adjusted value of sterling at the time - ie in November 2003 a pound is worth the same as it is now?

What does the 2.9% represent, is this the average mortgage rates margin over base rate?

Are average mortgage rates shown as fixeds or SVR? If fixed what length of fixed?

Many Thanks Jason,

The Dark Knight

The additional figures are inflation data. This was added by another member so I'm not the author of that part. The 'M' is confusing, so I'm not sure what that is.

The additional figures are inflation data. This was added by another member so I'm not the author of that part. The 'M' is confusing, so I'm not sure what that is.
What does columns showing data such as "2.9%-M-1.0" as for example in November 2003 mean?

Simple really. ;)

http://safalra.com/other/historical-uk-inf...ice-conversion/

Hi ho hi ho a little do we know, why the UK people are kidded and taken for a ride. :rolleyes:

Even with the very low IRs simple average is still slightly over 9%.

Watch, listen, and learn during the next 36 months. ;)

Hi Jason

I am new to all of this and have looked at the spreadsheet with interest

i want to be able to calculate what £30,000 would be worth at October 2008 if I had invested it in August 2005

Assuming interest is compounded quarterly

Am i right that - according to your spreadsheet - the average interest is 5.14663

Thus 30000 x (1=(5.14663%/4))^(4*3)

ie based on the A=P(1+r/n)^nt formala

- or have I got it all confused?

Any clarificationis gratefully appreciated

Thanks

Mel

Spreadsheet updated with 0.5% rates (5th March 09) on first post.

http://www.bankofengland.co.uk/publication...ws/2009/019.htm

Posted Today, 04:30 PM

Hi Jason

i want to be able to calculate what £30,000 would be worth at October 2008 if I had invested it in August 2005

Am i right that - according to your spreadsheet - the average interest is 5.14663

Any clarification is gratefully appreciated

Thanks

Mel

Hi Jason

Any clarificationis gratefully appreciated

Thanks

Mel

You're testing me now... The average is 5.14663, between 04aug05 and 07oct08 so your forumla should work fine. However, only use it as an estimate.

To be accurate you would need to work out the average for each 12month period (assuming annual interest) and compound that way.

Hope that helps, I haven't looked at the spreadsheet for such a long time. I originally did it as posters kept saying average rates are 'x' and not backing it up.

This looks like a great set of data, but being new here, I'm a little confused as to the terminology.

I take it M represents the inflation adjusted value of sterling at the time - ie in November 2003 a pound is worth the same as it is now?

What does the 2.9% represent, is this the average mortgage rates margin over base rate?

Are average mortgage rates shown as fixeds or SVR? If fixed what length of fixed?