House Price Crash Forum

Boomers demand free stuff

Si1

HOLA441
5 minutes ago, crashmonitor said:

Why would anybody catch a bus 1.5 miles, it's quicker to walk factoring in waiting time.

People are already tired after a full week of commuting, work and childcare and would rather save their feet for walking around in town rather than getting there and back.

Not easy to travel 1.5 miles on foot with small children in tow.

In most large towns in Britain a 1.5 mile walk into town means half an hour of breathing fumes walking alongside a busy road.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

HOLA442
16 minutes ago, Dorkins said:

People are already tired after a full week of commuting, work and childcare and would rather save their feet for walking around in town rather than getting there and back.

In most large towns in Britain a 1.5 mile walk into town means half an hour of breathing fumes walking alongside a busy road.

Don't see many families catching buses, they can't afford it. I do see a few young singles that could walk, guess it's habit.

HOLA443
On 2/11/2018 at 8:53 PM, houseface2000 said:

True and not true. I live 5 miles out of oxford and most get the bus. The bus lane makes it much faster than driving plus there is no where to park or if you can find a space it’s £15 for the day. Buses to my village every run 10 minutes till 3.30 in the morning. 

I would guess that Oxford and nearby are exceptions

HOLA444
22 hours ago, Wayward said:

1 hour ago, winkie said:

....believe it or not know of a few well into their 80s that no longer drive, who do their food shopping on-line, all happy using their laptops checking things out....the hair dresser comes to them, the cleaner the gardener and there are plenty of local social activities, days out they can take part in, transport arranged visiting local gardens and attractions including shows usually with a local seniors pub lunch thrown in.....great fun had by all.;)

I believe you!  I can't think it's universal, though.  

Not everybody can afford cleaners and gardeners, either.  As always, things are easier if you're comfortably off.

Visiting hairdresser can be cheaper than a salon, though.  

HOLA445
1 hour ago, Dorkins said:

You can say that again.  A short walk to the park that would take me about 4 minutes on my own, can easily take four times that with grandchildren of one and a half - though at least he's mostly happy in his pushchair - and not far off 3.  We have to stop and look/pick up/examine umpteen stones/leaves/twigs/conkers, not to mention walking back and forth across any inviting-looking low wall along the way. 

Recently, a supposedly quick walk to a local shop had to be interrupted by stopping to peer through every single very fascinating knot hole in a long wooden fence en route. 

Edited by Mrs Bear

HOLA446
10 minutes ago, Mrs Bear said:

You can say that again.  A short walk to the park that would take me about 4 minutes on my own, can easily take four times that with grandchildren of one and a half - though at least he's mostly happy in his pushchair - and not far off 3.  We have to stop and look/pick up/examine umpteen stones/leaves/twigs/conkers, not to mention walking back and forth across any inviting-looking low wall along the way. 

Recently, a supposedly quick walk to a local shop had to be interrupted by stopping to peer through every single very fascinating knot hole in a long wooden fence en route. 

When he can walk on his own, it will take even longer as he will not walk in the correct direction.  I really wish I could get my daughter to walk in the correct straight line.

HOLA447
9 minutes ago, iamnumerate said:

When he can walk on his own, it will take even longer as he will not walk in the correct direction.  I really wish I could get my daughter to walk in the correct straight line.

Jumping in puddles. Collecting leaves. Staring at aeroplanes, birds, squirrels. Etc etc. Getting tired and needing a cuddle which morphs into a piggyback. Getting hungry and needing half a banana.

HOLA448
HOLA449
7 hours ago, Mrs Bear said:

I believe you!  I can't think it's universal, though.  

Not everybody can afford cleaners and gardeners, either.  As always, things are easier if you're comfortably off.

Visiting hairdresser can be cheaper than a salon, though.  

Mrs Bear they are not comfortably off they live within their means, trying to stay as independent as they can, having a cleaner and home hairdresser means they have company, people that will check on them. The next problem will be cooking for themselves that is why ready meals and easy to prepare foods are popular, then the problem of caring for themselves so it goes on, the natural phases of decline...... nobody is immune.

Always nice to have shops or a bus stop to walk to if can walk that far, get on and off a bus independently, a place to go.......;)

HOLA4410
On 11/02/2018 at 2:35 PM, thewig said:

I got a bus a couple of years ago, train was cancelled, enjoyed a pleasant half hour journey through the country lanes on a bus with two other people. old woman got on in renowned overpriced posh village handing out leaflets to "save this bus service" I said "no ones using it, I don't blame them for shutting it down - what they need to do is build a load of houses here then it'll justify having a bus through this way" 

she kept quiet after that, thought everyone would be behind her precious campaign to save her precious bus that two people use on a good day.

Well said.  Nice when you manage to say the right thing at the right time. Wish I had your courage and smarts.  There I was on the tube only last week reading this: https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/feb/12/fall-in-journeys-leaves-tfl-facing-near-1bn-deficit-next-year and wishing I could stand up and shout "pay your fair share you scroungers".  Bl**dy boomers.  

HOLA4411
On 11/02/2018 at 5:53 PM, Diver Dan said:

The bus pass doesn't mean the journey is free. It just means that the local council pays 60% of the standard adult fare on your behalf. It basically ensures that the bus company keeps its standard adult fares as high as possible which has an obvious deterrent effect on casual users.

That's rubbish.  If it says it's free then it's free.  Bl**dy boomers could all use their posh cars from all their house gains and stuff but, as usual, can't turn down another free lunch.  It's a habit honed after decades of practice.  Compulsive freeloaders every single one of them, no exceptions.

Edited by Fence

HOLA4412
17 minutes ago, Fence said:

That's rubbish.  If it says it's free then it's free.  Bl**dy boomers could all use their posh cars from all their house gains and stuff but, as usual, can't turn down another free lunch.  It's a habit honed after decades of practice.  Compulsive freeloaders.

It's free at the point of use for the concession card holder. It really gets (often very) ugly when they turn up without a valud card and expect a free ride. Or they turn up with somebody else's card and expect that to be accepted and not confiscated and a full adult fare charged.

HOLA4413
2 hours ago, Diver Dan said:

It's free at the point of use for the concession card holder. It really gets (often very) ugly when they turn up without a valud card and expect a free ride. Or they turn up with somebody else's card and expect that to be accepted and not confiscated and a full adult fare charged.

So true.  Can't believe how many times that happens on my route.  Queues of them standing at each bus stop patting themselves down.  Here we go again I says and sure enough.....Horrible people these boomers.  Each one of them, no exceptions.  Ban them all from the buses.

Edited by Fence

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
16 minutes ago, Fence said:

5a84062c31ae5_Webp.net-gifmaker(2).gif.f27d203385f84e55ef0a2481f6b8158a.gif

Although I would like to live in a country where everyone is thinner, voting for a man who said

Thanks Hugo Chavez for showing that the poor matter and wealth can be shared. He made massive contributions to Venezuela & a very wide world

6 years after Venezuela started having food crisis is a bit extreme.

BTW according to the neoliberal website the Guardian in 2013 Venezuela was one of the worlds most dangerous countries

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/jan/12/violent-crime-makes-venezuela-dangerous

Edited by iamnumerate

HOLA4416
On 12/02/2018 at 1:40 PM, happyguy said:

"As an aside, I get irritated by the fact that "work" always seems to be accompanied by the "hard" adjective. I doubt they were working 14 hour days down pit. In reality they probably worked 40 hours a week doing things far less strenuous than their parents did before them."

Sadly the same is true of the snowflake generation who think studying media studies is hard work and expect a free ride in life 

I speak on behalf of all my fellow cohort who are too busy working hard and getting on in life to hang out here.  I expect everything my parents had, only sooner.  I'm not being respected.  If I don't get it then it's their fault and I will vote for someone who will take it from them and the generation after me who also don't respect me and who are also a bunch of freeloaders who have been getting stuff for nothing for too long.

Edited by Fence

HOLA4417
On 11/02/2018 at 7:49 PM, macca13 said:

It’s all part of the same problem, lack of money to pay for their free bus pass is because of the greed in society.. The everything bubble is consuming the people that pay the taxes, working tax credits and housing benefits are draining the money away like a bath with the plug out..

:stop mass imigration of 0 tax jobs and automate.

:Heavly tax 2nd homes.. that will crash prices and get rid of the BTL parisites 

:stop the gig economy, low tax, low hours worked jobs are lowering productive economic output.. 

:re nationalise key infrastructure so all our utilities remain cheap.. 

:heavly invest in technology and science, not builders and bankers

everyone pays more tax, services are properly funded, cost of living is cheaper, more disposable income.. economy thrives.. BTL leeches get jobs and stop sponging off the young! ?

You've got "automate" and "invest in technology and science." Both of those contribute very heavily towards money going towards the few - get all the rewards without the inconvenience of having to pay people to do things (look how much technology seems to be going towards making people irrelevant rather than doing anything particularly desirable).

HOLA4418
13 minutes ago, iamnumerate said:

Although I would like to live in a country where everyone is thinner, voting for a man who said

BTW according to the neoliberal website the Guardian in 2013 Venezuela was one of the worlds most dangerous countries

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/jan/12/violent-crime-makes-venezuela-dangerous

Any chance you didn't listen to John Cleese on today's BBC Radio 4 Today programme?

Edited by Fence

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422
1 hour ago, iamnumerate said:

But anybody can play that game.

For every Hugo Chavez there's an equal and opposite political embarrassment.

384A0F8F00000578-0-Theresa_May-a-9_14737

eca86bda385d1406d1b914.jpg

TonyBlairMuammarGaddafi2007_large.jpg?wi

Pg-26-sinking-reu.jpg

HOLA4423
1 hour ago, iamnumerate said:

If one of the other parties wants to offer a capitalist solution to the problems of the young they are completely free to do so. We can all imagine what it would look like: stop Help to Buy, stop bailing out banks, abolish mortgage interest relief for landlords etc etc. And yet none of them are offering this. The fact that the Tories have no better answer to Corbyn than screaming "Venezuela" at him is pathetic.

HOLA4424
18 minutes ago, zugzwang said:

But anybody can play that game.

For every Hugo Chavez there's an equal and opposite political embarrassment.

384A0F8F00000578-0-Theresa_May-a-9_14737

eca86bda385d1406d1b914.jpg

TonyBlairMuammarGaddafi2007_large.jpg?wi

Pg-26-sinking-reu.jpg

A post that has deserves a longer rebuttal than I have got time to do.

There is a difference between nice to foreigners we disapprove of (being rude to them doesn't really work and we can't invade everywhere in the world and shouldn't anyway).

To saying that we think that we should follow their example.  No one in their right mind thinks that for example Teresa May wants to follow Burma's example in dealing with Islamic terrorism.  (If she did no ex ISIS members would want to come back here). Or Thatcher's wanted to follow Pinochet's example in dealing with communists etc.  However Corbyn did (and possibly still does) want to follow Chavez's example, which is quite worrying.

HOLA4425
2 minutes ago, Dorkins said:

If one of the other parties wants to offer a capitalist solution to the problems of the young they are completely free to do so. We can all imagine what it would look like: stop Help to Buy, stop bailing out banks, abolish mortgage interest relief for landlords etc etc. And yet none of them are offering this. The fact that the Tories have no better answer to Corbyn than screaming "Venezuela" at him is pathetic.

I am not a Tory I think they are an awful party, but that Corbyn is even worse.

It is bit like saying I would rather have one leg cut off rather than both, in ideal world I would keep both legs, sadly we do not always have perfect choices.