House Price Crash Forum

ITV programme last night on transport chaos

HOLA441
20 hours ago, bear.getting.old said:

I do, because you are publically exceeding the limit on the road with everyone else.

Have read that several times but don't understand it. 

Its a fact that in a lot of areas the speed limits have simply been set wrong.

If it's OK to disregard laws because you personally think they are badly constructed then feel free to have six pints before driving home tonight. Good luck explaining to plod that you think 80mg/100ml was set wrong and in fact you are well under the limit. 

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
1 minute ago, Funn3r said:

Have read that several times but don't understand it. 

If it's OK to disregard laws because you personally think they are badly constructed then feel free to have six pints before driving home tonight. Good luck explaining to plod that you think 80mg/100ml was set wrong and in fact you are well under the limit. 

The public have a responsibility to keep to the law, and the law has a responsibility to be reasonable, proportionate, and appropriate. You've got a problem when either of those slips too far, and if lots of people are breaking a particular law (which they're not when it comes to having six pints then driving, but are when it comes to going over the limit on some roads) that's a sign that the law may be at fault and is what needs criticising, not the people who break it.

HOLA443
10 minutes ago, Riedquat said:

The public have a responsibility to keep to the law, and the law has a responsibility to be reasonable, proportionate, and appropriate. You've got a problem when either of those slips too far, and if lots of people are breaking a particular law (which they're not when it comes to having six pints then driving, but are when it comes to going over the limit on some roads) that's a sign that the law may be at fault and is what needs criticising, not the people who break it.

The 85th percentile.

HOLA444
HOLA445
23 minutes ago, Funn3r said:

I don't drink if I'm driving. It would impair my judgement. I don't need a law to tell me that, so the threat of being stopped and breathalised would not enter my mind. Also I never get stopped by the police anyway. I don't think you can really compare the clear danger of a drunk driver with somebody driving on the A6 rural road at 60 today when its signposted 40 when last year everyone was driving on it at 60 when the signs permitted it.

HOLA446
HOLA447
3 minutes ago, Riedquat said:

OK I put my hands up and admit I have no idea who sets speed limits or what process they go through to make the decision. I wouldn't know how to tell a right speed limit from a wrong speed limit. But, right or wrong, if it says 40 then I will be doing 40 and won't be expecting someone whose analysis is that 60 is the real speed - which could be nasty. As everyone knows many German roads work well with no general speed limit (but do have complex regulations otherwise) and anyone who has been there knows that driver discipline is far ahead of UK and there is no tolerance for individuals deviating from federal traffic laws.

You say there are not many driving after six pints, true it's declining although I think there is still plenty hard core who do. Do you not remember the early days of drink-drive law coming in though... I well recall hearing the very same arguments, nanny state, don't know what they're doing, maybe limit OK for some but too low for real drivers like me, in fact I drive better after six pints because I'm more relaxed, etc. It took a long hard campaign to get through to where we are today. 

HOLA448
9 minutes ago, Funn3r said:

OK I put my hands up and admit I have no idea who sets speed limits or what process they go through to make the decision.

The Highways Agency sets speed limits on the motorway and trunk road network. Since 1999 the Government provides advice to traffic authorities (County, District and Borough Councils, but not Parish Councils) on the setting of local speed limits. It is for those authorities to decide what is the most appropriate speed limit for their roads based upon local considerations and circumstances.This would usually reflect factors such as accident history, traffic flows, road traffic mix, levels of adjacent development and road geometry.They can set speed limits from 20mph to 70mph inclusive.

So your local councillors can set an unscientific limit for political reasons or because his granny lives on the road. There is a story of a councillor who got a speed limit lowered which just happened to increase the value of his house.....I don't know of any that have set a 70mph limit that wasn't already there.

Not all A roads are trunk roads and some of them are but only in parts so it's very confusing as to who sets what on the A6.

HOLA449
50 minutes ago, Funn3r said:

You say there are not many driving after six pints, true it's declining although I think there is still plenty hard core who do. Do you not remember the early days of drink-drive law coming in though... I well recall hearing the very same arguments, nanny state, don't know what they're doing, maybe limit OK for some but too low for real drivers like me, in fact I drive better after six pints because I'm more relaxed, etc. It took a long hard campaign to get through to where we are today. 

An inappropriate accusation of nanny state doesn't mean that all accusations of nanny state are unjustified.

A big part of the problem with setting lowering limits on roads is that different stretches of the same road often have very different appropriate speeds - need to slow down to 20 mph for this corner, then a mile that's dead straight for example. What good would setting a 40 mph limit on such a road be? Any accidents on it are likely to be on the corner, yet judging an appropriate speed for that is a necessity for driving. There would be a better argument for reducing the speed if there's a hard to see side road along the straight, although a bit of reengineering of that junction would be more ideal.

HOLA4410
41 minutes ago, Option5 said:

They can set speed limits from 20mph to 70mph inclusive.

Can limits be raised over what they'd be by default? With the odd bit of single carriageway motorway excepted (and the only bit I know of now is very short) I don't think any single carriageway road has ever been 70 mph. On the other hand there are major streetlit urban roads at 40 that would be 30 if they hadn't deliberately been raised.

HOLA4411
5 minutes ago, Riedquat said:

Can limits be raised over what they'd be by default? With the odd bit of single carriageway motorway excepted (and the only bit I know of now is very short) I don't think any single carriageway road has ever been 70 mph. On the other hand there are major streetlit urban roads at 40 that would be 30 if they hadn't deliberately been raised.

Single carriageway maximum is 60, they can't go above it. Dual carriageway 70 max. There are a few minimum speed limits still in force, in tunnels, over bridges etc but they're usually 15-30 mph (white border and writing on a blue background)