LittlePig

UK housing is bad (for refugees)

9 minutes ago, LittlePig said:

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2018/jan/10/rats-mould-and-broken-furniture-the-scandal-of-the-uks-refugee-housing

The comments helpfully highlight that it is not just the asylum seekers that cop-it.

Sti Lanka. The country that Brits go on holuday to?

Fux off. Whats wrong with him emailing?

Or seeking asylum in India?

1 hour ago, LittlePig said:

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2018/jan/10/rats-mould-and-broken-furniture-the-scandal-of-the-uks-refugee-housing

The comments helpfully highlight that it is not just the asylum seekers that cop-it.

For well over a year fairlynrecently I was going once a week to an Eritrean refugee woman - family with 2 young children - to help with her English.  The family had a very nice, fairly new, 2 bed flat in Wandsworth, in a good location near a lovely riverside park and loads of buses.  It was invariably immaculate.  

I think all the flats in the block were for 'affordable rent' , not even any shared ownership.  If for sale they'd be priced now at at least £625k - that is if  equivalents are  anything to go by. 

Maybe the government should initiate a special help to buy scheme for the new arrivals. While they're at it, perhaps furnish them with special vouchers that can be used to buy the services of out of work asylum seekers with the requisite skills for pwoperdee renovation.

Edited by Pindar

Well the comments on that one closed fast! Some distinctly non-editorial lines being expressed :) Seems the anger is brewing in the non-OOs. Interesting times.

A few months back Radio 4 had an item arguing it was inhuman to expect refugees to live in Rochdale.

So we have a family on GBP75k combined that cannot afford to rent a half decent house in Brighton and will never be able to let alone buy unless the whole thing implodes.

We also have a refugee family living in Central London in a brand new property worth GBP625K near leafy parks and easy  transport links.

We have students saddled with debt via worthless degrees who live in filthy HMO's

Doctors cannot afford to buy in Dagenham

The people simply take this $hit!  One has to wonder when the whole country will descend into civil war.

Or maybe the new order is holding up lighters/linking arms/virtual signalling and having damn fine backslapping Question Time when the panel all celebrate how wonderful the UK is.

I see no anger. Let them eat cake.  Iceland bogof's should do the trick. 

1 hour ago, kzb said:

A few months back Radio 4 had an item arguing it was inhuman to expect refugees to live in Rochdale.

I remember hearing that, how to annoy their listeners.

1 hour ago, iamnumerate said:

I remember hearing that, how to annoy their listeners.

The problem is, the BBC don't even seem to realise.  They can sit there straight faced and discuss this in all seriousness.

As I remember it, it was not actually the BBC presenters saying it was inhumane to be housed in Rochdale, it was their metropolitan elite guests from NGOs or whatever.  These people wanted their budget per refugee to be increased so they could buy houses for refugees specifically in London.

But there was no challenge to this outrage from the BBC.  No questions on the undoubted corruption going on here.

According to the R4 team it's inhuman to expect anyone to live anywhere north of Harrods.

Edited by Errol

5 hours ago, Errol said:

Refugees shouldn't have houses. If it is absolutely required for them to be in the UK (which it never is), they should be held in camps and denied freedom of movement. They should receive basic treatment prior to being sent back asap. After all, the point is to save them from being shot/killed etc - that is our only duty (if you accept that that is a duty).

My preference would be for camps in nearby countries or preferably in the country of origin. I see no reason for any refugees to be admitted to the UK.

Well done. When would you have sent the Jews back?

7 minutes ago, TwoTearsInABucket said:

When they were no longer in danger........1946 - 1950?

It's the grotesque injustice of it that gets people angry. Folks don't want to support this system...it stinks.

The powers that be might now take an interest and take action to the address the scandal of the scarcity and poor quality of the UK's housing stock if it's impacting on refugees...

7 hours ago, kzb said:

A 4 bed detached (newish build) home is still close to £300k in Rochdale, around 13 times the average wage for the town.

Not that I'm defending it, towns like that, are what they are.

Edited by Drummer

Didn't take long for Godwin's law to be activated.

"I'm wondering if it might not be better to financially assist refugees nearer their country of origin".

'Nazi! How many Jews would you have killed?'.......,

Yes, import refugees to working class communities here in order to soothe middle-class consciences. What could go wrong?

3 hours ago, TwoTearsInABucket said:

3 hours ago, Old Guy said:

When they were no longer in danger........1946 - 1950?

Didn't like the factual reply that doesn't suit your agenda so just going to ignore it ? :lol:

On 10/01/2018 at 9:17 PM, Mrs Bear said:

For well over a year fairlynrecently I was going once a week to an Eritrean refugee woman - family with 2 young children - to help with her English.  The family had a very nice, fairly new, 2 bed flat in Wandsworth, in a good location near a lovely riverside park and loads of buses.  It was invariably immaculate.  

I think all the flats in the block were for 'affordable rent' , not even any shared ownership.  If for sale they'd be priced now at at least £625k - that is if  equivalents are  anything to go by. 

I hate hearing anecdotes like this. I have to go through life pretending that this stuff doesn't happen. It is truly galling. 

15 hours ago, Drummer said:

A 4 bed detached (newish build) home is still close to £300k in Rochdale, around 13 times the average wage for the town.

Not that I'm defending it, towns like that, are what they are.

What's a 4-bed detached in London?

Went to Richmond recently and I would say you are looking at about £2 million there.

The NGOs were campaigning for their property purchase cap to be increased so they could buy properties in London.  I think we all know why but BBC R4 did not push them on it.

6 hours ago, Fletcher said:

I hate hearing anecdotes like this. I have to go through life pretending that this stuff doesn't happen. It is truly galling. 

I was talking to a good friend from South America about this and the number of people we know (not her) from South America who have got cheap/free accommodation and she said "It is English people's fault".

Which annoyed me, but she was right, we vote for for these parties.  Unless you have at least once voted UKIP you cannot really complain.  A lot of people on this board are partly responsible by attacking people who complain as racists, daily mail readers etc.

8 hours ago, Fletcher said:

Sorry.  The family were perfectly nice, well educated and very anxious to work rather than be dependent   on benefits (hence the mother wanting to improve her already pretty good English) but I did find it a bit galling too, when I knew how many working UK nationals would be delighted with such a flat at an 'affordable' rent. 

This was a one off (unpaid) for me, BTW - I was asked by a mutual acquaintance to help, since I used  to teach EFL.

1 hour ago, Mrs Bear said:

Sorry.  The family were perfectly nice, well educated and very anxious to work rather than be dependent   on benefits (hence the mother wanting to improve her already pretty good English) but I did find it a bit galling too, when I knew how many working UK nationals would be delighted with such a flat at an 'affordable' rent. 

This was a one off (unpaid) for me, BTW - I was asked by a mutual acquaintance to help, since I used  to teach EFL.

A kind and noble thing to do Mrs B! No need for any justifications, especially since they sound like people keen to integrate and participate in the economy rather than people keen to sponge.

One can be against the current system without disliking the people who have taken advantage of it to improve their own lot in life, and that of their children.