Does Commute Abit

Unremarkable posters even reaching 10 years on HPC now

I consider myself a reasonably ordinary member of HPC, with occasional posts but a member who still has a read most days...a bit of a journeyman HPC poster with no real drive to start lots of threads or stir up much controversy, or without much insight.  A squad player,  an average joe. I sneak a read at work, post occasionally while on the train home.  HPC has taught me a lot and influenced by take on society and people. 

However, today is 10 years since I joined the forum. That's a 7th of my total expected lifespan (speaking statistically!).  That's a long time.  In that time I saw houses fall at first, then rise a lot (bought 2013 as personal circumstances suited it), went from renting without any savings to a home owner with good LTV, saw gold go up a lot then fall before middling to current level (helped pay for the buy), missed the Bitcoin once-in-a-lifetime superbubble punt (BTC was $9 when I first heard of it, but I dismissed it as I'm not techy), got married, got kids, got middle aged, saw Brexit.... got used to a bit of comfort as students debts disappeared and savings/assets grew.   I used to be a career man, but now am more of a family man.   I used to be an idealist wanting to change the system, now I'm a non-bravado and feel the system is broken but unlikely to be fixed or improved soon.  I used to want to be the life and soul of the party now I want to be in bed by 10.  I used to dream of personal contentment, now I see contentment of my nearest and dearest as more important.  I used to dream of ambition, now I only dream of sustainability and financial security. 

The point of this thread is to encourage others to post at, or near, their 10 year HPC anniversary.  That's a lot of forum posters now and more and more in the year ahead as 2008 saw a lot of new membership as house prices slid and the banking crisis got people thinking about its wider causes. 

Have things worked out in that time?  Do you view the world the same now?  In short, how has HPC influenced your take on life and how you choose to live it over the last decade? 

Edited by Does Commute Abit

I would consider myself in the category you describe. I joined October 2008, read almost every day, but have fewer than 1000 posts.

I am unremarkable on here - my only claim is to have come up with the slightly interesting “Delusion Index” (Rightmove divided by Nationwide).

I have seen a great deal of change - 2 new jobs, 3 different partners, now married with two kids, moved abroad, and still not bought.

My life has no doubt been heavily affected by not having bought - I might have stayed with a previous partner, stayed in previous jobs, definitely not moved abroad. Though I could never prove any of that. I have lost out in some ways, and gained in others. What I have gained in flexibility and independence I have lost in continuity and, I suppose, identity.

I have loved much of my time here, and I really hope that 2018 can be a bit like 2008 with some juicy falls. It’s shaping up that way, I think.

On the bitcoin front, I tried to buy when it was below $50, even downloaded some bitcoin wallet software (if that’s right?) but then events/life got in the way and I didn’t get round to it. Regret it now, obviously.

Edited by neon tetra
Bitcoin

It'll be my 10th anniversary in March. At the time the 'credit crunch' was going on. Hoped that some banks would get thrown under the bus, making it an interesting time on HPC. However the Government really managed to fiddle a few things , not much of a recession, interest rates slashed further and hardly any bankers (if any) went to prison. <_<

Ten years this February me. Then I still thought I understood the housing market in this country. As I should with BSc(EstMan)MRICS after my name and  thirty year carreer as a property valuer behind me. Since then I have retired and admitted to myself that I called it wrong repeatedly. What will the future bring for house prices, fark knows. Now I chip in occasionally in off topic and try to grow old with a bit of dignity.

Guilty as charged m'lud.

Only seem to post in the Brexit thread.  Still believe the market will crash after all, it has been irrational for too long. ;)

Been posting since 2004 over 13 years, how time flies ........was buying then, finally paid for, no gain without some pain but worth it....feel no better off, no wealthier but now first time ever own my own time.....time, health, friendships/community.....the things that in the end actually do matter......happy, healthy, peaceful and prosperous new year to all.;)

10 years last October. And the housing market is stil perversely structured and broken.

I won’t pretend I have had any real difficultly myself, as I haven’t compared with others,  but lot’s of friends and family have been priced out.

The only thing I can really say from my own direct experience is that the level of house prices is so high that even people on six figure salaries haven’t found buying that easy and certainly don’t feel massively rich. If you’d told me that 20 years ago I wouldn’t have believed it. 

10 years for me too.

I have learned so much from this site.

Now have absolutely no respect whatsoever for.

politicians,

Bankers,

Estate Agents

politicians again.

Newspapers,

BBC

That is probably why I am a Brexiteer. Just don't trust the bastards.

10 hours ago, Mikhail Liebenstein said:

10 years last October. And the housing market is stil perversely structured and broken.

I won’t pretend I have had any real difficultly myself, as I haven’t compared with others,  but lot’s of friends and family have been priced out.

The only thing I can really say from my own direct experience is that the level of house prices is so high that even people on six figure salaries haven’t found buying that easy and certainly don’t feel massively rich. If you’d told me that 20 years ago I wouldn’t have believed it. 

Twenty years ago you could have asked a room full of experts to predict the housing market and we would all have got it totally wrong.

Edited by Freeholder
format

3 hours ago, Freeholder said:

Twenty years ago you could have asked a room full of experts to predict the housing market and we would all have got it totally wrong.

Have you forgotten Sibley of Maidstone?

Over 10 for me. This site has been part of my 'red pilling'. I came here for an insight into why house prices were so disconnected from reality and found my answers and more.

I've learned that voting won't change anything. Only direct action will. We are all pawns in a banker's world. The middle class is being destroyed (at least in the west) by globilisation and Brexit was a last gasp attempt to stop this.... it won't work.

House prices will collapse - maybe this is the year. It all depends on what suits the governbankment. But it's gone way past just that now.

I've been here for longer than 10 years.  I expected an HPC in 2003 and I can remember saying to someone in work that my house had earned more than me that year.  (I wasn't earning that much mind!).

Since then my children grew up and left the nest (2 managed to buy a house) and I retired and downsized and moved country (from Wales back to England).  I panicked in 2008 as all my wealth was tied up in my house and downsized again.  Since then I moved again mainly because my neighbour effectively forced me out as he took a dislike to me (the miserable ****)  I'm still expecting a crash.  For a while I was renting but prefer my own place however small it is.  I think DB is on the money and I really hope he's right as all those rich b'stards  or overleveraged need to learn a lesson.

21 hours ago, Freeholder said:

Ten years this February me. Then I still thought I understood the housing market in this country. As I should with BSc(EstMan)MRICS after my name and  thirty year carreer as a property valuer behind me. Since then I have retired and admitted to myself that I called it wrong repeatedly. What will the future bring for house prices, fark knows. Now I chip in occasionally in off topic and try to grow old with a bit of dignity.

Quite a bit like me. I can't remember when I joined but have been lurking since 2005. I first heard of this site from another called First Rung.

like you I am MRICS . I got made redundant in the crash of 2008 after 25 years as a mortgage valuer, then set up on my own as a residential surveyor. Only working part time now, but certainly could never have believed that we would have interest rates of 0.5%, so I also called the market wrong as well as I believed it should have been allowed to crash and burn at that time.

Must admit that with volumes in the market at such a low level, prices are being sustained in my area (Worcestershire), so I have no idea what this year will hold......I just have a gut feeling that prices are unsustainable at the current level so it's either failing prices or inflation in order to devalue the debt.

Happy new year all.

3 hours ago, juvenal said:

Have you forgotten Sibley of Maidstone?

Don't forget Hamish.... Every time I hear/read of property prices falling in Aberdeen, I think of Hamish!  :rolleyes:

I'll be nine years in in May, have always read the site with a deal of pragmatism. Haven't (perversely) based house purchases (or not selling places!) on advise read on this site, but did make some money on RBS shares way back in 2008/9, and gold, based on site opinion.

Happy New Year to all!

At which timepoint do the 'old timers' see us on the classic HPC front page graph? 

For me, its January 2008 all over again (that's exactly 10 years ago).  We can all post threads proclaiming price reductions this year, I think, aiming to succeed at games like Rightmove full house and "spot the relisting". 

Interesting times ahead for those that have waited a decade for it!

Think I joined 2006 having lurked a while before that. Never posted much but was an avid reader for quite a while. Prices continue to defy gravity and have prolonged adverse impacts to the population. 

Then there were regulars who disappeared, and haven’t been seen for almost 10 years.

Anyone remember CGNAO?

It was believed CGNAO stood for Comptroller General National Audit Iffice.

I recall CGNAO was the biggest Gold Bug, deflationist (or was it inflationist), near Prepper type on the board, whilst being more libertarian rather that a Tin Foil Hat anti-Government type.

8 hours ago, Mikhail Liebenstein said:

Then there were regulars who disappeared, and haven’t been seen for almost 10 years.

Anyone remember CGNAO?

It was believed CGNAO stood for Comptroller General National Audit Iffice.

I recall CGNAO was the biggest Gold Bug, deflationist (or was it inflationist), near Prepper type on the board, whilst being more libertarian rather that a Tin Foil Hat anti-Government type.

Yep, remember him (or her). I even remember your top of the line Audi A8. 

The activity on the forum is just a fraction of what it was back then.

Ended up buying in 2007, but went cheap as a precaution. Prices then dropped a little round my way but recovered shortly after. Moved to the “forever” home in 2015, and have watched prices continue to go up since. I’ve been able to weather the storm as I’ve been lucky on the job front, but the situation sucks for those on average salaries.

ps. What are you driving these days?

Edited by worzel