Bruce Banner

High house prices are good for Millennials so stop moaning.

1 hour ago, Pop321 said:

About July 1986. And then reinvented and rediscovered several times since. Boring is the new interesting.

Shall I climb Kilimanjaro or travel across South America in a bike....no, I will buy a house and talk about it a dinner parties.

Boring.....the new interesting.😉

I've seen homeowner being listed in Tinder profiles. Is that really one of the best things they can say about themselves?! 

I am throwing in the towel.

Having looked extensively at my search areas on Rightmove this past week, I wonder how any first time buyers would, or can, enter this market without fear. Land Registry shows prices doubling since 2007.

Couple this, with a deeply entrenched, Banker/Political swamp, not even concealing their corruption and contempt for the plebs, it has come to the point where leaving these shores is the only option. Having done a couple of stints abroad, we should have made it permanent years ago.

5 minutes ago, Untoward said:

I am throwing in the towel.

Having looked extensively at my search areas on Rightmove this past week, I wonder how any first time buyers would, or can, enter this market without fear. Land Registry shows prices doubling since 2007.

Couple this, with a deeply entrenched, Banker/Political swamp, not even concealing their corruption and contempt for the plebs, it has come to the point where leaving these shores is the only option. Having done a couple of stints abroad, we should have made it permanent years ago.

Would love to know more about the new Plan A?

2 minutes ago, wish I could afford one said:

Would love to know more about the new Plan A?

I am fortunate that i have good family connections in the States.

I love(d) Britain but it has changed irrevocably in my book. Unlimited immigration, soft laws, the growth of the State and it's endemic corruption, ensure the feckless and the traitorous thrive in a crooked Country. Brexit was one last two finger salute to the Establishment and the freeloaders that align themselves with it.

2 minutes ago, Untoward said:

I love(d) Britain but it has changed irrevocably in my book. Unlimited immigration, soft laws, the growth of the State and it's endemic corruption, ensure the feckless and the traitorous thrive in a crooked Country. Brexit was one last two finger salute to the Establishment and the freeloaders that align themselves with it.

Good luck with it all.  The US is one of the last places on earth I'd want to live but we're all different and that after all is what makes life interesting.

On 30/12/2017 at 6:29 PM, Bear Hug said:

Those who have parents and grandparents in the "baby boomer" generation will be left record sums of wealth, the Resolution Foundation said.

But they will have to wait - until, on average, the age of 61, it suggests.

What use is the inheritance at 61?!  May as well pass it on to grandchildren (who should be in their 30s by that point?) straight away.  However, there may not be any grandchildren to pass it on to, if the children never settled anywhere stable/comfortable enough to start a family in the first place.

Exactly!! Modern UK is like China - de facto one child policy (or no child) - can't afford two or more.

It used to be "High House prices are good for the economy". They can't pull that rubbish off anymore without looking a tad obviously ridiculous to at least a few people. So now it's "High house prices are good for a group of people (who they aren't really good for)"

This is a relative improvement. If we can eventually get to "High House prices are good for banks" then we've made progress.

36 minutes ago, Arpeggio said:

It used to be "High House prices are good for the economy". They can't pull that rubbish off anymore without looking a tad obviously ridiculous to at least a few people. So now it's "High house prices are good for a group of people (who they aren't really good for)"

This is a relative improvement. If we can eventually get to "High House prices are good for banks" then we've made progress.

It's sad but I think the majority still believe this and it's only the priced-out or those with kids who are priced-out that are realising what tosh that argument is. I really hope the opinion changes! 

1 hour ago, Untoward said:

There is something special about England. I've lived in a couple of foreign countries and England has a certain je ne sais quoi. The issue is that the banks and politicians have pushed things too far and it's now unsettling to think about the future(i can't see how teachers, nurses and even doctors can survive in the south with current house prices). If people work hard and aren't rewarded, the system crumbles. 

There's only so far you can push people before they jump ship.

1 hour ago, canbuywontbuy said:

Exactly!! Modern UK is like China - de facto one child policy (or no child) - can't afford two or more.

Unless you are on benefits.  It's as if the government is practicing reverse Eugenics. 

34 minutes ago, UnconventionalWisdom said:

There is something special about England. I've lived in a couple of foreign countries and England has a certain je ne sais quoi. The issue is that the banks and politicians have pushed things too far and it's now unsettling to think about the future(i can't see how teachers, nurses and even doctors can survive in the south with current house prices). If people work hard and aren't rewarded, the system crumbles. 

There's only so far you can push people before they jump ship.

England is still a great place to live for those than can afford to live here......the big issue is hard work which once could see a benefit, a way to improve lifestyle has all but makes little difference to growing numbers of working people.....I can see the older, now repaid all debt with little time, talented, skilled and knowledgeable teachers, nurses, carers, doctors and other public sector workers now working part-time or leaving all together.....people are and want to work but only if they feel valued not used.;)

33 minutes ago, Bear Hug said:

Unless you are on benefits.  It's as if the government is practicing reverse Eugenics. 

Face it - dimwits are more likely to vote bigger government as these are the types dependent on them. 

23 minutes ago, canbuywontbuy said:

Face it - dimwits are more likely to vote bigger government as these are the types dependent on them. 

It’s the dimwits who vote for private sector government that are the problem.

An economy controlled by the few is bad for the many, regardless of whether those few wear business suits, the uniform of the communist party or a crown. 

Edited by BuyToLeech

5 minutes ago, BuyToLeech said:

It’s the dimwits who vote for private sector government that are the problem.

A state controlled by the few is bad for the many, regardless of whether those few wear business suits or the uniform of the communist party. 

All parties want to be big government these days.  Tories are all about big government, interfering with every aspect of our lives.  They also doubled our national debt.

Edited by canbuywontbuy

33 minutes ago, Parkwell said:

Idiocracy.

Agreed.  What looked like a joke prediction, is looking worryingly close to being a prophecy . The script should probably be studied together with 1984.  I may have to watch it again.

7 minutes ago, canbuywontbuy said:

So you want 100% public sector? I think you can still visit North Korea with a British passport.  They have zero unemployment. They have perfected how to live life.

How recently have you visited? 

59 minutes ago, canbuywontbuy said:

All parties want to be big government these days.  Tories are all about big government, interfering with every aspect of our lives.  They also doubled our national debt.

Yup, NuLabour 2.

Blair has a lot to answer for. 

I felt like a voice in the wilderness in 1997, everyone seemed to be under the Blair spell. I knew then that he was dangerous but didn't predict that the next "Tory" government would follow his lead. 

4 hours ago, UnconventionalWisdom said:

It's sad but I think the majority still believe this and it's only the priced-out or those with kids who are priced-out that are realising what tosh that argument is. I really hope the opinion changes! 

Me too. Only 50%~ of the UK are homeowners. The higher official figure is based on houses that are owned not how many working age voting people own.

22 hours ago, Bruce Banner said:

Yup, NuLabour 2.

Blair has a lot to answer for. 

I felt like a voice in the wilderness in 1997, everyone seemed to be under the Blair spell. I knew then that he was dangerous but didn't predict that the next "Tory" government would follow his lead. 

Blair fooled me once but I had Cameron and Osborne figured from the start. Accusing Brown of over-regulating the City, which they continued to do right up to the minute the queues started forming outside Northern Rock, was all the information I needed.

As sickening as this is, the great news (as I see it) is that this article and branches of it) have appeared on my Facebook and twitter feed a few times in the last week and my generation are angry at this and not falling for it. They don’t want to profit from the deaths of their parents (and/or grandparents) and are arguing that if prices just fell while they will be “poorer” they will have money actual cash/disposable money.

It actually makes me proud that my generation (I’m 33) are starting to get it. Even a few of my parents generation are starting to get it (I’m lucky my dad has always got it and actually talked me out of buying a house when I finished uni). Sadly boomers/OAPs still don’t get it if my Facebook feed and a couple of other online forums I’m on are anything to go by. iPhones, cars and getting drunk at weekend(but somehow unable to explains pubs closing down!) etc 

On 12/30/2017 at 12:29 PM, MARTINX9 said:

So all you need to do is rent privately for 40 years bringing up your kids in insecure rented accommodation and in your mid 60s after your kids have grown up and assuming your parents wealth hasn't been eaten up by care fees you might get a windfall. 

Really? Wouldn't most people rather own a house from their mid 20s as their parents did - not rent for most of their lives?

Wonderfully put.