Fletcher

British tourist jailed for 3 yrs in Egypt after being found with tramadol in her luggage

On 12/27/2017 at 9:53 AM, Funn3r said:

How would you like to be stuck in some shithole for no good reason.

I have an easy solution to that.

I don't travel to shitholes.

3 hours ago, Byron said:

She distributed the boxes throughout her luggage.

Sounds like what everyone did when you could only bring back 200 fags from your holiday in France.

Put a couple of packs in with the tent pegs. Roll some up in your sleeping bag. Stick a pack up your jumper. Hardly organised crime.

They probably added on a year's porridge for her being so pathetic.

3 hours ago, copydude said:

Sounds like what everyone did when you could only bring back 200 fags from your holiday in France.

Put a couple of packs in with the tent pegs. Roll some up in your sleeping bag. Stick a pack up your jumper. Hardly organised crime.

They probably added on a year's porridge for her being so pathetic.

Bloody hell man is she your girlfriend or something? 

Hiding a few boxes of fags from Customs and Excise is not quite the same as hiding 290 tramadol from the Egyptian border security officer. 

It would appear that this particular drug is prescription only in the UK but not illegal to possess for personal use. However, laws differ from country to country, try marrying a 12 year old here and see how far you get. 

11 hours ago, Fletcher said:

Bloody hell man is she your girlfriend or something? 

Hiding a few boxes of fags from Customs and Excise is not quite the same as hiding 290 tramadol from the Egyptian border security officer. 

Sorry, I was being facetious. Definitely a dopey b1tch. 

1 hour ago, Bruce Banner said:

not illegal to possess for personal use

It's clearly addictive, though. Wonder what the street value might be?

Would be interesting to know whether her Egyptian squeeze really did suffer from back pain. But he's probably gone AWOG. 

Two telling phrases, both proffered by her family:

she's a shop girl

and

we're very glamorous

In other words, the shop girl was living beyond her ways and means.

There's only two ways to fund that, and the first can only last so long:

- borrowing;

- crime.

"Egypt jail hell Brit Laura Plummer moved

to a new cockroach-infested jail where

inmates are tortured with cattle prods"

Well, The Sun isn't giving up on our Laura. Cattle prods? 

Latest article includes this snippet:

The Sun flew out and tracked Omar down before uncovering crucial evidence which proved Laura was telling the truth from the very start.

But apparently the court didn't believe her. 

Anyway, well done the Sun. Maybe they'll help her find a nice job in a Pharmacy when she gets out.

The truth is that she obtained an illegal amount of Tramadol in the UK, then illegally took it into Egypt.

If she was telling the truth, then that is enough to convict her.

Just why the media are  making a fuss about this escapes me, but probably they are short of news.

But hey, how about Swedish hand grenade attacks?

The only argument you could perhaps entertain is that the punishment doesn't fit the crime - if she is not, as she claims, dealing.

There are places where foreigners do get on the wrong end of the law and find it impossible to get any kind of fair hearing. A guy in Dubai was jailed for having too many prescription drugs . . . but he spent months at sea and suffered from prostate cancer. He obtained them legally. There's another guy in Dubai facing 37 years for a bounced cheque . . . Lots of horror stories.

The UAE is something of a black spot. As it happens, a class action is going on against the FO because it does absolutely nothing to help Brits and fails to warn people about Shariah law. You could say the media performs a useful function by publicising such cases.

19 hours ago, copydude said:

Anyway, well done the Sun. Maybe they'll help her find a nice job in a Pharmacy when she gets out.

Very good. 😁

11 hours ago, copydude said:

The only argument you could perhaps entertain is that the punishment doesn't fit the crime - if she is not, as she claims, dealing.

There are places where foreigners do get on the wrong end of the law and find it impossible to get any kind of fair hearing. A guy in Dubai was jailed for having too many prescription drugs . . . but he spent months at sea and suffered from prostate cancer. He obtained them legally. There's another guy in Dubai facing 37 years for a bounced cheque . . . Lots of horror stories.

The UAE is something of a black spot. As it happens, a class action is going on against the FO because it does absolutely nothing to help Brits and fails to warn people about Shariah law. You could say the media performs a useful function by publicising such cases.

37 years for a bounced cheque? What was it for, a billion dollars?  Gott im Himmel!

You'd have to pay me a lot of money to go to one of those countries. 

5 hours ago, Fletcher said:

You'd have to pay me a lot of money to go to one of those countries. 

Will you take a cheque?

Yeah, the Saudi "modern" states really seem to want to have their cake and eat it when thousands of tourists run foul of their draconian laws and ignorant enforcers (with a UK woman detained just because she was with a few men who started a scuffle with a dodgy person and skipped Dubai without her).

Edited by Big Orange

British man ‘jailed in Dubai for sending

angry Whatsapp message to dealer about dodgy car'

Metro, Jan 10

Yaseen Killick, 29, had been working in the Middle East as an estate agent with wife Robyn for a short while before the pair returned to the UK to start a family. While there, the pair say they bought a £6,000 VW Golf from a dealer that broke down within hours. After finding out the car had previously been written off, Yaseen wrote an angry Whatsapp message to the dealer asking: ‘How do you sleep at night?’

He didn’t think anything of it but when they tried to fly home to London for Christmas, the couple were stopped at the airport . . . 

Happens every day almost . . . 

Dubai has a relatively primitive rule of law and the enforcement is corrupt as it's opaque (when dealers can arrange to arrest customers who complain). More reasons never to voluntarily go there.

Edited by Big Orange

11 hours ago, copydude said:

Yikes. 

All I can say is that I remember reading an article years ago in the Indy in which their esteemed foreign correspondent (I forget his name) shone a bright light on (IIRC) Abu Dhabi, in particular on how disgustingly the natives treat the huge numbers of very poorly educated immigrants who come to work there from highly impoverished Asia Pacific countries. I wouldn't go anywhere near those countries. Unless I am mistaken, people like this gentleman go there for the filthy lucre, plain and simple, aiding and abetting their regimes.  Seems if you lie down with dogs, you really can get up with fleas.

3 hours ago, Fletcher said:

Yikes . . . 

According to the Sun, the lawyers thought jail-hell Laura got off pretty lightly . . . and when you read about what goes on, it rather looks as if she did. 

It still seems rather odd that her 'husband', knowing full well the local customs, would let her run such a risk.

10 hours ago, copydude said:

According to the Sun, the lawyers thought jail-hell Laura got off pretty lightly . . . and when you read about what goes on, it rather looks as if she did. 

It still seems rather odd that her 'husband', knowing full well the local customs, would let her run such a risk.

Indeed.  Perhaps though he just considered her an entirely dispensable stupid English girl. 

Pain In The Lumbar Laura Is Let Off!

Tramadolly Pardon Will Free Laura From Heathen Hell

The 33-year-old was sentenced to three years in jail, but as part of Egypt's Revolution Day celebrations, President Abdel Fattah el-Sisi has reportedly pardoned her.

President Sisi does not have the authority to interfere in Egypt's judicial processes but can issue pardons. He has used this power on previous bank holidays to release a raft of prisoners, and is expected to announce Laura's release on Saturday.

Pete Farmer, 46, from London, who was released from the same prison in November, said: “I’m absolutely ecstatic. Best news all year.

“Justice has been served. It was the right thing for the President to do. It is mainly their fault. They did not put any notices up to warn travellers.

10 minutes ago, copydude said:

Pain In The Lumbar Laura Is Let Off!

Tramadolly Pardon Will Free Laura From Heathen Hell

I agree with general thrust of your post, but feel you emboldened the wrong part of the quote:

“Justice has been served. It was the right thing for the President to do."

The Romans who ruled over The Holy Land also held annual pardoning events. Naturally, such events are all about serving justice. Just ask every third person on the planet (ie a Christian):

At that time they were holding a notorious prisoner named Barabbas. So when the crowd had assembled, Pilate asked them, “Which one do you want me to release to you: Barabbas, or Jesus who is called Christ?” - Matthew 27:17

13 minutes ago, Sledgehead said:

14 minutes ago, Sledgehead said:

At that time they were holding a notorious prisoner named Barabbas. So when the crowd had assembled, Pilate asked them, “Which one do you want me to release to you: Barabbas, or Jesus who is called Christ?” - Matthew 27:17

It is not Barabbas.

It is Bar Abbas, which means  Son of the Father.

Confusing

35 minutes ago, Byron said:

It is not Barabbas.

It is Bar Abbas, which means  Son of the Father.

Confusing

You say Mc Phear son, I say McPhearson,

You say Bin Laden, I say BinLaden,

Mc Phear son, McPhearson,

Bin Laden, BinLaden,

Let's call the whole thing off.

- George Gershwin and Ira Gershwin

You know how a fundador can lead to a few
And baby when in Rome I do as the Romans do

- Abrose via  Cy Coleman and Carolyn Leigh

So now we either try to determine where this thread is, or we read the wiki on Roman naming conventions. Or we agree to differ. Hmmm. Now let me see. I'm gonna go with that last one.B)

Edited by Sledgehead