Saving For a Space Ship

PCP time bomb: why your next car could cost you dear

Shares in South Korea's Hyundai Heavy Industries fell by more than a quarter on Wednesday, after investors reacted badly to plans to raise fresh funds.

Hyundai, the world's top shipbuilder by sales, aims to raise about $1.2bn (£895m) by issuing new shares, diluting the value of existing stakes.

It said the cash would mainly be used to bolster its ailing finances.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-42492097

On 24/12/2017 at 1:26 PM, winkie said:

Older, made in Japan cars very reliable, comfortable, economical and very well designed and built.....secondhand three year old car no problems lasting plus 15 years with little needing replacement only tyres and pads, wipers etc......all in7 all including tax, insurance, service when required, lower mileage 5k to 7k fuel costs with depreciation towards end of the 15 to 20 years cost no more than £500 to £600 per year all in.....still get £500 plus for it at sale.......many of these cars are no longer built in Japan.....will that make a difference?;)

I feel like I'm at a Christmas drinks party with middle aged men talking about good value second hand cars. I'm in my element 😉. At least we are not going to have a discussion about the best route home.

Second that Japanese cars are the most reliable - surveys show this over and over again. There is still a widely held opinion out there that German cars are the best, whereas these days they are middling to poor. You might want to be wary of Nissan - the marriage with Renault has led to some offspring that contain the genetic failures of the French parent. 

Edited by Ah-so

On 24/12/2017 at 9:00 PM, scb said:

You could be me. 10 year old 3 series, do the work myself. Cheap motoring. My mum thinks I’m mad paying what I do for 10 year old cars but ignores what I sell them for at 11-12 years old while she buys 2 year old Focuses, Leon’s and 307s that cost her a fortune in depreciation and seem to need at least as much work done to them.

I don’t get why anyone would buy a run of the mill new-3 year old car. Make no sense at all to me.

Bit like car restoration - broadly speaking costs as much in labour and paint to bring a Ford Granada up to scratch as it does a Bentley turbo 8 or Jag XJS but there  is a perceived higher running cost of prestige cars  when after 30 years the costs are broadly the same 

Edited by Greg Bowman

8 hours ago, Greg Bowman said:

Bit like car restoration - broadly speaking costs as much in labour and paint to bring a Ford Granada up to scratch as it does a Bentley turbo 8 or Jag XJS but there  is a perceived higher running cost of prestige cars  when after 30 years the costs are broadly the same 

Yes and no. A Granada is a lot easier in some respects - very easy to strip out, no alloy panels or complex electronics etc...

A mint mk1 Granada 3.0S/ghia is worth more than some Jags & Bentleys as well.

14 hours ago, disenfranchised said:

Yes and no. A Granada is a lot easier in some respects - very easy to strip out, no alloy panels or complex electronics etc...

A mint mk1 Granada 3.0S/ghia is worth more than some Jags & Bentleys as well.

Agree - hence why classic cars are a bit of a bubble you have to know your onions like you do

I loved the coupe fine lines and built in Germany and in the same vein the Opel Monza another handsome car of the era 

Edited by Greg Bowman

On 28/12/2017 at 2:39 PM, Greg Bowman said:

Agree - hence why classic cars are a bit of a bubble you have to know your onions like you do

I loved the coupe fine lines and built in Germany and in the same vein the Opel Monza another handsome car of the era 

Yeah they are in a bubble for sure. Next time there is a recession the mainstream stuff is set to take a beating as there are few export markets for RHD other than Japan. The Indian market may emerge in time but it's virtually impossible to import most used cars there.

I have a couple of old cars myself but I won't spend daft sums on them. Mate of mine has a mint 3 litre Granada coupe in metallic bronze - had it for years. They were £3-5k in good condition back in 2009-12... no money about for them then - it was a good time to buy & now's a good time to sell!

On 28/12/2017 at 2:39 PM, Greg Bowman said:

I’m looking for something a bit more tasty as my next car. The wife likes the E70 X5 but I would prefer something a little more car like, maybe the F07 5GT. I’m probably looking at at something on a 61/12 plate.

Where would you be looking for something  practical, quick, comfortable, luxurious and capable of a few years of 12k miles service?

4 hours ago, EmmaRoid said:

I’m looking for something a bit more tasty as my next car. The wife likes the E70 X5 but I would prefer something a little more car like, maybe the F07 5GT. I’m probably looking at at something on a 61/12 plate.

Where would you be looking for something  practical, quick, comfortable, luxurious and capable of a few years of 12k miles service?

Big fan of the S range of Audi’s, S6 Avant then chip to RS output (£400) not quite as powerful because would need new exhausts but mates S4 got to about 400hp with Quattro great drive and just chip upgrade 

my current daily is a 9 year old TTS chipped to 330hp , so much fun like a go kart and superb build quality 

Budget for apple or android car drive thingy or just make sure it has a port for connecting phone for music/ dab, in car like all of the era bit behind but sat Nav works well enough

Edited by Greg Bowman

20 minutes ago, Greg Bowman said:

Big fan of the S range of Audi’s, S6 Avant then chip to RS output (£400) not quite as powerful because would need new exhausts but mates S4 got to about 400hp with Quattro great drive and just chip upgrade 

my current daily is a 9 year old TTS chipped to 330hp , so much fun like a go kart and superb build quality 

Budget for apple or android car drive thingy or just make sure it has a port for connecting phone for music/ dab, in car like all of the era bit behind but sat Nav works well enough

Er, thanks...

The S6 is a nice car but about £10k over budget. Even a V6T S4 is over budget.

To be honest I don’t think either of these would offer the required level of comfort either.

5 minutes ago, EmmaRoid said:

Er, thanks...

The S6 is a nice car but about £10k over budget. Even a V6T S4 is over budget.

To be honest I don’t think either of these would offer the required level of comfort either.

My mate has offered me his Honda Jazz. It was his grandmas and has 60k on the clock, 15 years old, dint in the side and he wants £200. It will last 5 years....but can I bring myself to do it....maybe until I get something better then it makes a nice present for my son (that will teach him to be nicer to me😆😆) 

the curent company x3 is a luxury I am keen to be getting rid of  

13 minutes ago, Pop321 said:

My mate has offered me his Honda Jazz. It was his grandmas and has 60k on the clock, 15 years old, dint in the side and he wants £200. It will last 5 years....but can I bring myself to do it....maybe until I get something better then it makes a nice present for my son (that will teach him to be nicer to me😆😆) 

the curent company x3 is a luxury I am keen to be getting rid of  

I realise that driving a large BMW could make me look like a BTL fanny but I’ve looked worse in my time.

but if I’m doing it, I’m doing it properly, I don’t want something from the base of the model range with a pokey 4cyl diesel, it has to be worth every penny. An x1 or x3 wouldn’t cut it.

Edited by EmmaRoid

6 hours ago, EmmaRoid said:

I would go for the 5 salon, much nicer to drive than the X5 or the GT, probably the 530d despite the currant furore over diesel. 

And of course you won't look like a BTL fanny as they all drive SUVs of one sort or other (in Blackpool I think you have to have a white or black Range Rover before you are allowed to buy any BTLs). 

Edited by Confusion of VIs

7 hours ago, Confusion of VIs said:

I would go for the 5 salon, much nicer to drive than the X5 or the GT, probably the 530d despite the currant furore over diesel. 

And of course you won't look like a BTL fanny as they all drive SUVs of one sort or other (in Blackpool I think you have to have a white or black Range Rover before you are allowed to buy any BTLs). 

A plain 5 series wouldn’t do, not the same sense of occasion. May as well just buy an Avensis. 7 series is a poss for me but not the wife who would like a jacked up cars.

Of course it would be a 3.0d (or bigger).

2 hours ago, EmmaRoid said:

May as well just buy an Avensis.

And you probably wouldn't find yourself disappointed. From the combined experience of my and most of my family, they are very comfy, well equipped, pack a decent punch and they last for ever.

12 minutes ago, kibuc said:

And you probably wouldn't find yourself disappointed. From the combined experience of my and most of my family, they are very comfy, well equipped, pack a decent punch and they last for ever.

Toyotas are typically awful cars, devoid of imagination, let’s move on shall we?

1 hour ago, EmmaRoid said:

Toyotas are typically awful cars, devoid of imagination, let’s move on shall we?

Yeah I hate the boring way the driver's door on my wife's 14 year old RAV4 closes with a satisfying 'new car' clunk and the engine pulls like a train. Many a night have I lain awake in emotional agony at our lack of imagination.

Cars are vehicles for getting places and carrying stuff.  I've ridden in genuine exotics and owned a couple of frisky cars.  It's OK.  Not as special as you think its going to be.

Occasionally I think about getting another fast car.  Then I go along not thinking about it as Baloo wisely recommends.  Plus my £3.5k SV650 accelerates to 60 in 3.7s making most sub £50K car acceleration feel a bit 'meh'.

Good topic though.  I love the way everything is turning to sh** for borrow-to-letters simultaneously.  Puts a song in my heart.

9 hours ago, hotblack42 said:

Yeah I hate the boring way the driver's door on my wife's 14 year old RAV4 closes with a satisfying 'new car' clunk and the engine pulls like a train. Many a night have I lain awake in emotional agony at our lack of imagination.

Cars are vehicles for getting places and carrying stuff.  I've ridden in genuine exotics and owned a couple of frisky cars.  It's OK.  Not as special as you think its going to be.

Occasionally I think about getting another fast car.  Then I go along not thinking about it as Baloo wisely recommends.  Plus my £3.5k SV650 accelerates to 60 in 3.7s making most sub £50K car acceleration feel a bit 'meh'.

Good topic though.  I love the way everything is turning to sh** for borrow-to-letters simultaneously.  Puts a song in my heart.

Couldn't agree more. Daft cars are the biggest waste of money western civilisation ever invented. 

Those that truly can afford a flash car wouldn't buy one. 

I live a spin in something sporty but most of my trips involve a dog in the back and rubbish for the tip. 

The X3 was good but a waste of my company car allowance plus my tax code. 

Each to their own though. There's no rights or wrongs in how people spend their hard earned money...if they know and appreciate their decisions. 

That Honda Jazz starting to look tempting. 😆😆

13 hours ago, EmmaRoid said:

A plain 5 series wouldn’t do, not the same sense of occasion. May as well just buy an Avensis. 7 series is a poss for me but not the wife who would like a jacked up cars.

Of course it would be a 3.0d (or bigger).

Sense of occasion - what like quick get behind the sofa the scumlords at the door. 

For me the salon is a great drivers car the X5 is not. I have had a 5 from new and when I was looking to buy it the salesman told me I really had to have a drive in the X5. I wasn't impressed slower, noisier and didn't feel as secure going round corners, ok if you really need some of road ability but otherwise you are paying more for less.

7 hours ago, Northern Welsh Midlander said:

XF or F-Pace, A7 or Q7?

F-Pace is nice but far too expensive still and sorry don't like Audis.

3 hours ago, Confusion of VIs said:

Sense of occasion - what like quick get behind the sofa the scumlords at the door. 

For me the salon is a great drivers car the X5 is not. I have had a 5 from new and when I was looking to buy it the salesman told me I really had to have a drive in the X5. I wasn't impressed slower, noisier and didn't feel as secure going round corners, ok if you really need some of road ability but otherwise you are paying more for less.

No one's perfect...

Anyway, I'm sorted now https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/ferrari-458-coupe-italia-179461-uk-car-discount-2876093

On 12/01/2018 at 9:43 AM, EmmaRoid said:

Bit harsh. Rather have a Toyota than an Alfa any day..

Had a 2003 Corolla and yes doesn’t hold a candle to my current (and brilliant) Golf GTi, or even my old mk1 Focus. It was solid though and had a good torquey 1.6 engine. 

If you want occasion, a Leon Cupra 280 are bloody quick, well balanced exciting drivers car and reasonably priced.

Merc A or C 45 AMGs are awesome but pricey. A good compromise could be A4 or A6 Quattro S-Line or BMW 340i. Looking at around £20k for a good 2014/15 model.

However...

If you’re not averse to diesel, take a trip to the nearest Mercedes garage. They backed the wrong horse and invested heavily in their diesel range and have a mass surplus of cars people don’t want. You’ll get quite a bargain on new/nearly new.

On 12/01/2018 at 9:14 PM, Confusion of VIs said:

best car i ever owned a 5 series lci 3.0ltr diesel bmw. was 6 years old when i bought it for 6k, drove it for 5 years with only thing going wrong a £200 repair, and did 75k miles in it. then sold for 2k.  hard to beat that with any car 5 years of safe, full spec, full leather quality vehicle driving for 4k. i would have kept it but bought a van to make into a camper whch i can use also like a car if needed.