Sancho Panza

UK car sales fall for eighth month in a row, with diesel down 30%

Can't see this mentioned anywhere else.

Guardian 5/12/17

'UK sales of new cars fell for an eighth consecutive month in November as economic uncertainty and a sharp fall in demand for diesel cars weighed on demand.

Sales slumped by 11.2% last month to 163,541 vehicles, putting the industry on course for the first drop in annual sales since 2011. New car sales in the first 11 months of 2017 were down by 5% at 2.39m.

The November decline was driven by a 30.6% fall in diesel sales according to the Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders, which more than offset a 5% rise in petrol and 33% rise in alternatively fuelled vehicles.

Companies cut back on new cars the most, with business registrations slumping by 33.6%. Private registrations fell by 5.1%, while fleet registrations dropped by 14.4%.

“An eighth month of decline in the new car market is a major concern, with falling business and consumer confidence exacerbated by ongoing anti-diesel messages from government,” said Mike Hawes, the chief executive of the industry trade body.'

Funny, I posted this on the other hpc car lease pcp thread yesterday. Could be Vi bollo I suppose, or moving from hp to pcp 

Dealers see ‘30% hike’ in new and used (Uk) car PCP sales

https://www.motortrader.com/motor-trader-news/automotive-news/dealers-see-30-hike-new-used-car-pcpsales-04-12-2017  

Edited by Saving For a Space Ship

6 hours ago, Saving For a Space Ship said:

Funny, I posted this on the other hpc car lease pcp thread yesterday. Could be Vi bollo I suppose, or moving from hp to pcp 

Dealers see ‘30% hike’ in new and used (Uk) car PCP sales

https://www.motortrader.com/motor-trader-news/automotive-news/dealers-see-30-hike-new-used-car-pcpsales-04-12-2017  

Hmm, a very short article with no figures given. It could mean PCP is up 30% but cash sales have dropped by the same (or more). I think they're a VI salesman cherry picking stats.

39 minutes ago, Grab_Some_Popcorn said:

Hmm, a very short article with no figures given. It could mean PCP is up 30% but cash sales have dropped by the same (or more). I think they're a VI salesman cherry picking stats.

Surely it’s just a reflection of a move away from outright purchase - with people looking at the cash price to people looking at the monthly fee. Last week autotrader added monthly cost as a search criteria.

equally, the above may explain why Vauxhall’s is doing so badly. For £250 a month do you really want to drive an Astra when you can have a bmw.

1 hour ago, Houdini said:

Surely it’s just a reflection of a move away from outright purchase - with people looking at the cash price to people looking at the monthly fee. Last week autotrader added monthly cost as a search criteria.

equally, the above may explain why Vauxhall’s is doing so badly. For £250 a month do you really want to drive an Astra when you can have a bmw.

I agree. Its just that the implied message is "we're selling loads of cars" when in actual fact they just selling more debt.

8 minutes ago, Social Justice League said:

Anyone with any sense who wants a car, buys a 1990's/early 2000 w202 Merc C-Class for £500.

It will probably run until 2040 when they finally ban petrol engines.  :)

Presumably a nice Diesel engined Merc which will happily cover intergalactic mileages.

I assumed TPTB don't want us to have cars...we're crammed in HMOs with no parking, new builds have no parking, trend is ownership levels falling..this way the roads are quieter for wealthy that do own comfortable homes with adequate parking but knock on is car manufacturing adversely hit - do they care..??  I think not.

Yes, and ironically the really wealthy own neither homes nor cars. They rent or put ownership through company structures.

1 hour ago, Social Justice League said:

Anyone with any sense who wants a car, buys a 1990's/early 2000 w202 Merc C-Class for £500.

the engine will still be around but the rest would have rotted away :lol:

13 hours ago, Social Justice League said:

12 hours ago, longgone said:

the engine will still be around but the rest would have rotted away :lol:

Yeah, early 2000s Mercs had appalling corrosion issues.  90's ones probably better than anything at the time apart from Peugeots (Ever seen a rusty 205?)

Pleasantly surprised at the lack of (Visible) rust on my 2003 Honda

Keeping that on the road keeps a local mechanic happy.

Scrapping it and leasing a new econobox makes financiers happy. (Economic link)

1 hour ago, Craig_ said:

Good. The roads are becoming unbearable due to the numbers of PCP'd Quashqais and Fiat 500s.

and those cr@ppy little audi a1s / merc a class, just horrendous little things, basically people have been convinced to buy a mini metro with a badge on it and think it brings some sort of societal status because those brands were prestige about forty years ago when people were driving around in.... mini metros

5 hours ago, chronyx said:

Yeah, early 2000s Mercs had appalling corrosion issues.  90's ones probably better than anything at the time apart from Peugeots (Ever seen a rusty 205?)

Pleasantly surprised at the lack of (Visible) rust on my 2003 Honda

Keeping that on the road keeps a local mechanic happy.

Scrapping it and leasing a new econobox makes financiers happy. (Economic link)

My 2004 volvo is a bit rattly but 175k miles with no rust.

We also have a Samsung microwave in the office which I bought from Argos in 2003, gets a lot of use, that does have rust but still works. 

They don't make em like they used to. 

13 minutes ago, Funn3r said:

We also have a Samsung microwave in the office which I bought from Argos in 2003, gets a lot of use, that does have rust but still works. 

Indeed. I only just got rid of the wife's 15 year old Civic, while I commute daily in an 11 year old Avensis. 140,000 on the clock and still running well (touch wood).

When I started driving in the 80s there were hardly any 10 year old cars on the road.  Improved reliability was always going to result in sales of new cars tailing off...

I guess cars have become another disposable accessory for many, along with phones lappys and clothing, all on DEBT of course

consumer DEBTjunkie Britain is the programme, bought to you largely by the #vileBBC

Believe it or not the w202 Merc C-Class built between 1993 and 2000 is probably the best engineered overall car that Merc has ever built.  Most Merc people rate them very highly.

It is true that many rust, but 99% of it is body work.  It's the mechanicals that are ridiculously over-engineered and literally last for decades and decades.

£1000 will get you a good one. :)

20 hours ago, thewig said:

and those cr@ppy little audi a1s / merc a class, just horrendous little things, basically people have been convinced to buy a mini metro with a badge on it and think it brings some sort of societal status because those brands were prestige about forty years ago when people were driving around in.... mini metros

The A1 is about the same size as an older VW Golf. Yes they are massively overpriced badged up version of the Polo which is an overpriced version of the Skoda Fabia.

3 hours ago, Andy T said:

The A1 is about the same size as an older VW Golf. Yes they are massively overpriced badged up version of the Polo which is an overpriced version of the Skoda Fabia.

or the Seat Ibiza - out of the 4 I know which on the ones I would go for....

On 07/12/2017 at 8:21 PM, Funn3r said:

Yep with you on both, the 03 Mondeo wagon is still a strong comfy old barge with a few squeaks and paint fade but never lets me down

Same with the similar vintage rusty lg microwave which takes a real pasting cos no ones very cordon bleu round my way ☺