• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443
1 minute ago, Fishfinger said:

Go on I'll bite.

Lamb?

Lord of the Rings/Hobbit paraphernalia?

Just edited post. Sorry didn't mean to leave it dangling.

Homes. Bloody homes!

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410

I'd like to see more on the detail of this before I get too happy. Although it sounds like a very good step in the right direction. I have extended family members in NZ and one family group with young children are having to rent as they cannot find anything to buy. 

Why does it say "existing homes" and does that mean that overseas investors will still be able to buy new builds in the future?

Also what will "resident" mean? Will investors be able to buy their way into NZ and then buy housing, or will they be able to register on a course, stay for a while and then buy?

HOLA4411
6 hours ago, Grab_Some_Popcorn said:

It's happening.

New Zealand bans foreign home buyers - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-41745129

5 hours ago, TheCountOfNowhere said:

That makes a healthy change,

First Canada acts...then New Zeland...next Oz then the UK.

It's like watching a hog roast.

You expect the UK to act?

Lol. You're in count cuckoo land!

HOLA4412
HOLA4413

I dont like the sound of the word resident.  If they were taking things seriously it would be passport holders.  I know they recently had an election and the New Zealand first party are king maker, so I guess this is a sop to that, however I guess the Labour party (who they are in coalition with) are planning to put in a lot of loopholes.  

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
22 hours ago, rantnrave said:

Less choice for the Chinese buyers. More of them buying UK property soon?

As far as I can can tell NZ + OZ really dont have their own economy.

The last 20 years have seem them evolve into some minor, parasitical attachment to the great Chinese economy - feeding its population, educating its posh kids, emptying its mines.

As Wi has jumped the shark and become China's King Jung In - leaders for life ....

https://twitter.com/doumenzi?lang=en-gb

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421

A bit late for the younger generation in NZ that have been sold down the river and have blighted futures but this is good news I think for us...it makes it more difficult for TPTB to argue against similar restrictions here...their justifications will sound more and more hollow and be seen for what they are.

HOLA4422

Normally can't stand anything Polly Toynbee writes but this better than her usual output but I do note she wants to protect her 'mad gainz' & merely wants to 'chill the market and stop house prices rising above inflation'. How about a tax on your windfall gains Polly?

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/oct/26/new-zealand-rich-foreign-home-buyers-labour-oligarchs

• 3 months later...
HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425
On 10/25/2017 at 8:08 PM, reddog said:

I dont like the sound of the word resident.  If they were taking things seriously it would be passport holders.  I know they recently had an election and the New Zealand first party are king maker, so I guess this is a sop to that, however I guess the Labour party (who they are in coalition with) are planning to put in a lot of loopholes.  

This change is of course only being introduced because New Zealand First - the NZ equivalent of UKIP whose leader Winston Peters is as charismatic as Farage - are in coalition with Labour.  They are a historically anti immigration party.

In terms of residency this means people who have been granted permanent residency on skills or investor or other visas. They aren't citizens - yet - but have the right to reside permanently. They get voting rights so why would they be stopped from buying homes.

The problem of course is mainly an Auckland, Christchurch and Wellington problem. Housing is more affordable in remoter parts – although still crazy.

I don't see this happening in the UK - because there are too many vested interests in the London prime market to stop it. Who on earth would otherwise buy those £750,000 new build flats in Elephant and Castle. Harlesden and Bow?  Only overseas investors that have never visited the areas.

Edited by MARTINX9