subspace

Update on Self Build Register

A year ago I registered myself onto my council's self-build and custom housebuilding register. At the time it was free to join and just required contact details. I checked recently and there were less than 40 names on the register. I received an email from them and they want me to provide evidence of a local connection and financial resources along with an application fee of £300. However there was this rather interesting part of their email:

For those whose applications are determined as eligible for part one of the register, the council is required to find a serviced self-build and custom housebuilding plot, to offer to the applicant to purchase within three years from the base period.  There is no requirement for the Council to find sites for applicants on part 2 of the Register.

If they are actually going to sell me a plot of land with PP then it may be worth a punt.

I wondered why the council arent building on all the land they own or at least offering it on to people with PP. Would kill the HC in a swoop.

I'm seeing a lot of houses with land being sold on various sites now with uplift clauses on even agricultral. Perhaps the sellers are thinking there may be some changes coming to.

Do you know how many have be removed from the list ie got land to build on?

I assume that no-one on the list has been offered land yet by the council as until recently the self-build register was only there to gauge interest and there was no legal requirement for the council to actually do anything with it other than maintain one.