guilty as sin

what a cheek

my daughter's house is under offer to a woman who my daughter thought was buying it for her own use however today she gets a call from the estate agent saying the woman will now be renting the house out and can my daughter start showing prospective renters around the property  the house  is not even sold yet      i can't believe the brass neck of some people     is this normally done before it's sold to landlords

guilty as sin

Arpeggio   

Lying about her intentions to get a more sympathetic outlook and perhaps cheaper price?

It's not remotely up to your daughter to do that. If they think she might be keen help out to help so everything goes smoothly and sale goes through etc. then provided the LandLord is not too bright and getting themselves into an over leveraged nightmare I would consider doing so, with the perspective I'd be doing the market a favor helping to lead a moron to the slaughter for a desperate sale later on. It depends on if the LandLady is overleverage, IO, MEWed, susceptible to S24 etc. Potential future rent controls etc.

That's not advice of course, just an opinion based on info from what I read! Either way it's cheeky though and not too much of a surprise from the spiv ilk.

Flopsy   

It may be that her BTL mortgage application has stalled and she needs to have a tenant in place before she can get one.

Your daughter needs to find out as the sale may not be as easy as one to a owner occupier

It's wasn't unusual to get this in London last time I looked for a rental there. 

Simhadri   
17 hours ago, guilty as sin said:

my daughter's house is under offer to a woman who my daughter thought was buying it for her own use however today she gets a call from the estate agent saying the woman will now be renting the house out and can my daughter start showing prospective renters around the property  the house  is not even sold yet      i can't believe the brass neck of some people     is this normally done before it's sold to landlords

guilty as sin

Have experienced it from my previous landlord for 4 years when I was renting his flat in London.

Asking me to drop keys at concierge of apartment everyday so that EA can collect and show the flat including Saturdays.

But I thank my landlord for giving me that treatment as it helped me in moving out of London.

Its frustrating as EA and Landlord will be asking for keys from you in most of days in a week and the flat doesn't sell even after 80 viewings and you've no privacy as your flat is now an artifact in museum where everybody come, takes a view and then fu**s off without buying.

Tenants are treated worse in this country.

MattW   
22 hours ago, guilty as sin said:

Seriously? :blink: This Estate Agent is working for your daughter, not the prospective buyer. They need reminding of this.

It's very cheeky for the woman to suggest it but for the EA to turn around and ask your daughter is taking the p**s.

4 hours ago, Byron said:

Tell them Yes,

If they pay.

Business is business, they will understand.

£100 per prospective tenant, payable in advance and no refunds. B)

Dorkins   
32 minutes ago, MattW said:

Seriously? :blink: This Estate Agent is working for your daughter, not the prospective buyer. They need reminding of this.

It's very cheeky for the woman to suggest it but for the EA to turn around and ask your daughter is taking the p**s.

I'm guessing there may be some subtle ageism here, where the daughter selling the property is younger and therefore not a proper person in the EA's eyes whereas the prospective landlord is older and therefore the kind of person who has some business owning property.

Bankside   

I'd say you'd allow some access once the contracts are exchanged.

That'll give some incentive to the buyer to get their act together, then your daughter has certaincy and can get on with her plans for a move.