House Price Crash Forum

What's positive for you right now

wish I could afford one

HOLA441

So, even he had problems with illegal immigrants arriving on shore.

Don't now about illegal but one thing I love to do is travel to other countries, prehaps one day in a motorhome, just picking the right moment, the right time.....how awful it would be if freedom and choices were removed and people of other lands looked upon others as illegals and immigrants....

I understand that there are many that will never be interested in foreign travel, they like to stick to what they know.....very many more would never wish to live in another place or land or learn another language....their loss.;)

Edited by winkie

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

Well I'm happy.

Just got promoted last week and I'm slowly aligning myself on a track that we'll lead into a senior position. I work under the banner of 'law enforcement' make of that what you will. I have no plans to retire early because my line of work is always interesting and unpredictable and I deal with some high profile stuff. Of course it is more involved than the average job, as you maybe required to be called on in a whim.

Because of the above, we're restricted to a commutable distance within greater London. My partner is blessed with very good genetics, she'ss good looking and can eat whatever she wants and not gain a pound. We have been together 10 years and have a daughter, she's in a very good school that she enjoys.

I've travelled the world when I was younger, so now content with a city break or a holiday each year that I haven't been to before.

I own a number of assets that will be passed down to my daughter. One of those is a 1962 Rolls Royce that I have restored. I have a view to start a wedding car business later in life, but my current work commitments would deem that impossible.

We own our flat outright now and I have owned properties with ex-partners in the past. The thing I miss most from my previous house is a driveway, garden, garage and a shed. I sold previously in 2007 before the crash and the last time I would have realistically bought again was 2011 but I wasn't in the position to. I certainly would never wade into the current madness even though I would have a sizeable deposit.

So I wait patiently. It's plainly obvious that the government will do anything in it's power to stop property prices falling. But soon the house of cards will come falling down whether they like it or not. The tax payer pool that is supporting the boomer policies is decreasing rapidly. The government benefits bill getting bigger and bigger.

Next April has always been my prediction from when we'll start to see the landslide. Tick-tock.

Edited by sideysid

HOLA443
16 hours ago, wish I could afford one said:

I don't know if it's the grey skies of today, whether it's the start of winter closing in or whether it's all the current HPC topics that I've just read through but the world for a moment seemed a pretty depressing place to live.  Then I thought about it for a moment and my life is not depressing at all and is actually pretty darn good.  Thought it might be worth having a positive thread where we can share why life is good for you right now.

My life is currently great because:

• I have a fabulous family who are generally healthy and happy.
  • We've all bought into life being about quality of life and not standard of living meaning life is no longer a competition and instead is about positive experiences.
  • While still in the South East I no longer have to be anywhere near London and what it has become.
  • I no longer need The Man.
  • One of our dreams is about to become a reality.  In the summer of next year UK house prices will no longer matter to my family.  Life is far to short to be mortgaged to the hilt and then spend the rest of your best years paying it off.

Logged on this morning to find out mumsnet had taken over.

HOLA444
14 minutes ago, TheCountOfNowhere said:

YANBU

As for me, I'm 27 years old with £2m in savings. I live on a houseboat with my 2 supermodel girlfriends and run my online business using the free wifi at Wetherspoons/McDonalds. I have 5 children who are all doing well in their careers and 16 grandchildren. I'm in excellent health and run a marathon every day.

HOLA445
13 hours ago, Calcutta said:

Relentless terrorist attacks, depressingly predictable and  obvious media/social media political bias, grenfell, a failed election, Trump proving the US president has as much power as a chained up dog, stagnant economies worldwide, house prices dancing around on the cliffs edge but never quite going off.  All in all a lot of shite that seemed pretty bad at the time but that's changed nothing for the vast majority.  

Personally everything's kosher, kids are sound, work's alright and I'm still on track to be FIRE by 50 so I'm golden.

It's a funny thing - ask people what the world is like today and you get a lot of answers about it being "depressing" or "frightening".

But ask them what THEIR world is like today and generally it's all "yeah, going OK actually".

If I was asked I'd probably give the same answer - I have lots of things (health, girlfriend, money) to be thankful for and not a lot to grumble about.  But open a newspaper or news website and it's full of "Trump's an idiot" "Brexit will be a disaster" "Bomb in city of [NAME]".  Read that every day for long enough and you begin to think the world is a bad place and worse than usual.

Actually the world is pretty much the same as it's always been - awash with lots of good and bad things, and people all trying to steer themselves and their families into the good and away from the bad.

2017 is just another year like all the others.  There are good presidents/prime ministers/kings and bad ones.  There's always terrorism somewhere.  And yet, despite all the problems, here we all are enjoying the sunny days, the odd beer, the time with the kids, family and friends.  "KBO" as Churchill said.  

HOLA446
HOLA447
29 minutes ago, Dorkins said:

YANBU

As for me, I'm 27 years old with £2m in savings. I live on a houseboat with my 2 supermodel girlfriends and run my online business using the free wifi at Wetherspoons/McDonalds. I have 5 children who are all doing well in their careers and 16 grandchildren. I'm in excellent health and run a marathon every day.

??

I have been asked to 'accommodate and entertain' the bunnies on the Playboy yacht during 2018 whilst they find a replacement for  Hugh Hefner. Only a basic salary a but smoking jacket and silk pyjamas all provided.

HOLA448
HOLA449
43 minutes ago, Phil321 said:

??

I have been asked to 'accommodate and entertain' the bunnies on the Playboy yacht during 2018 whilst they find a replacement for  Hugh Hefner. Only a basic salary a but smoking jacket and silk pyjamas all provided.

job-meme-300x218.jpg

HOLA4410
19 hours ago, jiltedjen said:
  • potter around in my Lotus Elise which i enjoy lots

I've pottered around in one for twenty years and I'm still smiling :) They are drug free mood enhancers*

You also need to stay slim to get in/out of them and you can't date anyone large.

*until your mechanic calls you back with the news....

HOLA4411
15 hours ago, Calcutta said:

This year has been a strange one. Melancholy i think describes it best. After the madness of 2016 this has been the hangover. 

Relentless terrorist attacks, depressingly predictable and  obvious media/social media political bias, grenfell, a failed election, Trump proving the US president has as much power as a chained up dog, stagnant economies worldwide, house prices dancing around on the cliffs edge but never quite going off.

Al in all a lot of shite that seemed pretty bad at the time but that's changed nothing for the vast majority.  

Personally everything's kosher, kids are sound, work's alright and I'm still on track to be FIRE by 50 so I'm golden.

As for the HPC on a dark day I'd say TPTB will throw everything at preserving wealth of the majority of semi detached boomers, but they can't stop Brexit from ripping the carpet out from under parasitic BTLers and the slumlords. The time of purification is almost upon us.

All that stuff is just the bits that stand out of a general malaise that's been going on very noticeably for the last 20-odd years, although aspects of it have been happening for an awful lot longer than that. World's going downhill because quite frankly people are encouraging it to do so, what we get highly visible are just some of the consequences. That's all the stuff that gets me down an awful lot, since there's no hope of it stopping - it's called "progress" and we're supposed to want it. If my immediate, personal situation wasn't pleasant I'd probably have completely given in by now. But there's some blue sky, the swans sometimes swim past on the canal and I've still got some more bulbs to plant.

HOLA4412
19 hours ago, sPinwheel said:

My STD test.

:lol::lol:B)

Well, I guess

• I'm young
  • Educated
  • Open to travel the world
  • Willing to earn my first million
  • Without any boundaries
  • Paying off my 1st flat
  • I've got job
  • Healthy
  • Fit and sexy 
  • Hoping to have family one day and have real chances for it 

So, I guess, there are some reasons to live happily. Small but enough. 

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
53 minutes ago, wasbuckers said:

I've pottered around in one for twenty years and I'm still smiling :) They are drug free mood enhancers*

You also need to stay slim to get in/out of them and you can't date anyone large.

*until your mechanic calls you back with the news....

yep fast but not overkill, not overly expensive. I can no longer get in and out with the roof on though, have to roll it back, too many pies. 

hard sometimes to be happy with your lot in life, and not obsess about not having a pile of debt with some bricks attached. 

We are all just navigating our way through life best we can. 

seems 2018 will be our year. Otherwise I will accept ‘it’s diffirent this time’

HOLA4415
4 hours ago, Dorkins said:

YANBU

4 hours ago, TheCountOfNowhere said:

Win.

I’m dying to read Mike Liv’s contribution.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424

Good thread:

• Happily married
  • Have a few really good friends
  • A job that I like and is flexible
  • Family are relatively hassle free
  • Discovered minimalism as a way to counter consumerism
  • Will be leaving London and living rent free next year
  • Have learnt a lot about investment, insurance and risk since reading these boards. HPC may be a negative place a lot of the time but it has pushed be to look for upsides.

HOLA4425
On 10/9/2017 at 6:58 AM, winkie said:

Don't now about illegal but one thing I love to do is travel to other countries, prehaps one day in a motorhome, just picking the right moment, the right time.....how awful it would be if freedom and choices were removed and people of other lands looked upon others as illegals and immigrants....

I understand that there are many that will never be interested in foreign travel, they like to stick to what they know.....very many more would never wish to live in another place or land or learn another language....their loss.;)

I like going to other countries but I hate planes.  I am not going to fly on a plane in the next few months so that makes me happy.

Edited by iamnumerate