HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
6 hours ago, Bruce Banner said:

Here it's 23c in / 18c out.

Heating is on but thermostat has not demanded any heat for the last two or three days.

Warm day today.....no heating required yet.....in 19.4c out 18.2c......really comfortable temperatures, quite bright still.....the leaves are changing, very colourful at the moment.:)

HOLA447
HOLA448
  • 1 month later...
HOLA449
HOLA4410
1 hour ago, crashmonitor said:

Still not buckled yet to central heating. It's been an unusually dry end to autumn and tbh damp gets us more than the cold. Did have it on by now last year. Not been on once yet. I did stop wearingy my shorts end of October mind. 

Anybody else managing without?

Which? Shorts or heating?

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
8 hours ago, Sledgehead said:

really?

relative humidities, historic

Been pretty damp down here on the south coast.

Moreover, there is an inverse relationship between humidity and perceived temperature. You must be a bit odd! (:P)

Not in winter, a mild windy wet day at 9c feels a hell of a lot  colder than a dry sunny one at 5c. More of the latter going forward in the next fortnight anyway.

HOLA4413
4 hours ago, crashmonitor said:

Not in winter, a mild windy wet day at 9c feels a hell of a lot  colder than a dry sunny one at 5c. More of the latter going forward in the next fortnight anyway.

Because the humidity is acting like the sweat mentioned in the RH article and conducting heat away from you effectively

HOLA4414
8 hours ago, chronyx said:

Because the humidity is acting like the sweat mentioned in the RH article and conducting heat away from you effectively

That's not how sweat works unless you are really wet with it (it works by latent heat of evaporation). And that should not be happening in winter.

HOLA4415

Down to -9 here at the moment. -20 coming at the weekend. For a couple of weeks now, the daily high temperatures have been around the historical average daily low temperature for this time of year.

Global Warming, eh?

As for sweating, it really sucks at 50 below zero. Soaks into the insulating layers of clothing making them less effective, and, if you're unlucky, turns to ice. Is kind of bizarre, though, having to remove clothing at that temperature because you're getting too hot while working outdoors.

HOLA4416
On 14/11/2017 at 5:13 AM, MarkG said:

Down to -9 here at the moment. -20 coming at the weekend. For a couple of weeks now, the daily high temperatures have been around the historical average daily low temperature for this time of year.

Global Warming, eh?

As for sweating, it really sucks at 50 below zero. Soaks into the insulating layers of clothing making them less effective, and, if you're unlucky, turns to ice. Is kind of bizarre, though, having to remove clothing at that temperature because you're getting too hot while working outdoors.

A proper winter, and we think its cold above freezing here. It's been below average this month so far but not really getting the hard frosts..8c or so by day and 2c or so by night. Very temperate. 

HOLA4417
5 minutes ago, crashmonitor said:

A proper winter, and we think its cold above freezing here. It's been below average this month so far but not really getting the hard frosts..8c or so by day and 2c or so by night. Very temperate. 

Chilly enough to remind me that I've been intending to get a bit more loft insulation though.

HOLA4418

We're in a 70s mid terrace so I resist the hearing as long as possible, hoping our neighbours will cave first and warm us up too.

Also we have ceiling heating with no timers (you turn each room on and off manually). Apart from being a hassle if you leave it on in error it costs a fortune.

HOLA4419
4 hours ago, Grab_Some_Popcorn said:

We're in a 70s mid terrace so I resist the hearing as long as possible, hoping our neighbours will cave first and warm us up too.

Also we have ceiling heating with no timers (you turn each room on and off manually). Apart from being a hassle if you leave it on in error it costs a fortune.

These are often each on their own circuit from the fuseboard - might be worth getting a quote for some standalone timers to be fitted.  DIN rail versions for inside the fuseboard probably won't fit unless you've had a consumer unit upgrade but a simple rotary time switch will do the job, just  less elegantly.

HOLA4420
7 hours ago, chronyx said:

These are often each on their own circuit from the fuseboard - might be worth getting a quote for some standalone timers to be fitted.  DIN rail versions for inside the fuseboard probably won't fit unless you've had a consumer unit upgrade but a simple rotary time switch will do the job, just  less elegantly.

I'll pester the landlord. The other day I knocked the thermostat (it goes from 0 to 5) up to 0.0001 and the room reached 27 degrees in mins!

HOLA4421
HOLA4422

Archived