Bruce Banner

Britain must not be better off outside the EU

Today's Freudian Slip.

http://www.europarl.europa.eu/meps/en/124806/DAVID_MCALLISTER_home.html

This fellow, talking to Adam Boulton on Sky News this morning, said (with a smirk) that Britain must not be better off than nations that remain in the EU.

So there we have it, Boulton picked him up on it and he hastily back tracked, but to me it was clear what he really felt.

8 minutes ago, rollover said:

It's been said before, Britain will be third country for EU post-Brexit.

I don't understand what you mean?

Funn3r   
24 minutes ago, scottbeard said:

Not sure what "third country" means, suspect the writer meant "third world country".

I don't understand why this is news. Why wouldn't an EU politician take that view?  

Mrs Bear   
50 minutes ago, Bruce Banner said:

Today's Freudian Slip.

This fellow, talking to Adam Boulton on Sky News this morning, said (with a smirk) that Britain must not be better off than nations that remain in the EU.

So there we have it, Boulton picked him up on it and he hastily back tracked, but to me it was clear what he really felt.

Did we really need telling the Eurocrats' views?  

The likes of Juncker want to see us punished hard for daring to want to leave, to make an example to les autres.. Can't have their empire diminished!  

I voted remain, but the likes of Juncker, and overpaid unelected gravy-trainers - Kinnock and Mandelson just for starters -  certainly made me think twice. 

kzb   
51 minutes ago, rollover said:

It's been said before, Britain will be third country for EU post-Brexit.

A third country is not necessarily poorer or worse off than an EU country.  You do know this don't you?

20 minutes ago, Mrs Bear said:

The likes of Juncker want to see us punished hard for daring to want to leave, to make an example to les autres.. Can't have their empire diminished!  

I voted remain, but the likes of Juncker, and overpaid unelected gravy-trainers - Kinnock and Mandelson just for starters -  certainly made me think twice. 

No, but it's interesting when the truth "outs" in conversation. 

1 hour ago, Bruce Banner said:

Today's Freudian Slip.

Christian Democrats

Christ will be spinning in his grave.

Riedquat   
1 hour ago, kzb said:

A third country is not necessarily poorer or worse off than an EU country.  You do know this don't you?

I'm assuming that the meaning in this case is related to "third party".

rollover   
2 hours ago, scottbeard said:

After Brexit U.K. will have Third-Country Status and Rights

German chancellor Angela Merkel has warned British politicians that they should not expect the country to have rights equal to those member states have once it leaves the European Union. “Countries with a third-country status – and that’s what Great Britain will be – cannot and will not have the same or even more rights as a member of the European Union. All 27 member states and the European institutions agree on this,” she said.

“You may think that all this is self-evident. But I have to put this so clearly because I get the impression that some in Great Britain still have illusions about this, and that is a waste of time.” newsweek

Anyone who wants to know how the eurocrats will maliciously screw the population of a country over to prop up German banks only needs to order a copy of Yani Varoufakis's book. 

It's astounding.

Well we were warned getting on for 1.5 years ago that we`d be 25% worse off if we left the EU....

Little by little we`re leaving but I`ve yet to see remoaners leaving. Maybe they`re creeping out in the dead of night to save embarrassment.

Given how the EU sells more to the UK than vice versa, it's in their interests to facilitate continued free trade as much as possible.  Also, given the large amounts of EU expats choosing to live in the UK rather than be unemployed in their native country, they'd be well advised to reach a mutually agreeable deal on residency and freedom of movement. 

To listen to the vast majority of mainstream UK media, you'd think that the EU were all powerful and held all the cards.  Not the case at all, they are just as much in need of a deal as the UK is and are in a trickier position to negotiate as they have to seek agreement across all member states for their part.

im all for a hard brexit, we have america canada and australia, soon we will have the catalonions  the italians, send the troops in portugal and cut straight across 2 italy, get italy to save whats left of the greeks then move up 2 meet russia in poland, give france an ultimatum be4 we bend merkel over and put junker and blair on the stake! so tell me kiddies, where is an army 2 stop us?

winkie   
6 hours ago, Mrs Bear said:

There are lots of really good reasons to remain......and a few big reasons to leave.;)

Tapori   
11 hours ago, TheCountOfNowhere said:

The bankers will make sure of it I suspect.

Even though we have everyone's dirty secrets stashed away in our overseas territories?

6 hours ago, council dweller said:

Well we were warned getting on for 1.5 years ago that we`d be 25% worse off if we left the EU....

Little by little we`re leaving but I`ve yet to see remoaners leaving. Maybe they`re creeping out in the dead of night to save embarrassment.

We haven't left the EU. Not even a little bit.

And, apparently, the most import requirement to Brexiters is .. not the leave the EU.

10 hours ago, Bruce Banner said:

Today's Freudian Slip.

Reading that makes me very pleased I bought my wife here, whose now building a factory which will create 300 manufacturing jobs.

You can't really expect lifelong EU project acolytes to give us a trade arrangement equal to single market membership with none of the costs and compromises. The EU was willing to punish industry as part of its political drive against Russia, it will do the same with us. Or they will capitulate with some last minute fudge on immigration, but it might be too late for that. I still feel we will prosper, while they ossify.

MrXxx   

It's interesting that the argument always appears to focus on the economic factors whereas this was not the issue for those that voted I.e. democratic governance...better to be master at my own table and be able to decide when I want to suck bones, than to be at anothers having to wait for them to throw me scraps of meat!