28 minutes ago, Richmond said:

Nah, with interest rates and 40 year loans it will be like £1 a month. Bargin!

Exactly.... that's the spirit!

And don't forget inflation! It would be complete madness to buy a sub-£50 smartphone, when you can be the envy of lots of other people!

I'm tempted to get a job selling these phones...lots of gullible people abound this small island!

Wow. Ive just seen the device for the first time and im not impressed.

That screen shape to accomodate the facial recognition sensors is ridiculous. Equivalent to the 'flat tyre' shape on most round smart watches.

From what ive seen on the samsung s8 facial recognition isnt as convenient a way to open a phone as fingerprint sensor. Or just tapping the power button. But i understand apple have removed the fingerprint sensor and only offer facial recognition? Ive not long bought a lg g6 and the fingerprint sensor is the only meaningful improvement i've found over my old g4.

A grand is the price for the base model. 256gb storage model costs £1150.

Oh and you can animate your own 3d panda emoji. Id like to say thats the barrel being scraped but i'll probably know a dozen people with one in a month.

Ash4781   
7 hours ago, regprentice said:

Wow. Ive just seen the device for the first time and im not impressed.

That screen shape to accomodate the facial recognition sensors is ridiculous. Equivalent to the 'flat tyre' shape on most round smart watches.

From what ive seen on the samsung s8 facial recognition isnt as convenient a way to open a phone as fingerprint sensor. Or just tapping the power button. But i understand apple have removed the fingerprint sensor and only offer facial recognition? Ive not long bought a lg g6 and the fingerprint sensor is the only meaningful improvement i've found over my old g4.

A grand is the price for the base model. 256gb storage model costs £1150.

Oh and you can animate your own 3d panda emoji. Id like to say thats the barrel being scraped but i'll probably know a dozen people with one in a month.

Strangely it's not available until 3rd November! Their phone line up looks confused. I presume from the press and company coverage the X is some kind of concept phone? 

Edited by Ash4781

nnails   
8 hours ago, regprentice said:

I have house insurance coverage for £7k of belongings 'outside the house' as if my wife and i were mugged of our engagement/wedding rings, phones and a laptop that would be the cost to replace as new. I dont believe it add much to my house insurance, a years cover is usually £80-£120 depending on deals available at renewal time.

I do agree with you. Its becoming a ridiculous value to carry around. Particularly strikes me when i see young kids abusing brand new ipads when they could just as easily have a kindle fire for 35 quid.

There would have been no way I would have such an expensive item as a kid.  Maybe there was other status symbol as a kid that I was not aware of

Option5   
16 minutes ago, nnails said:

There would have been no way I would have such an expensive item as a kid.  Maybe there was other status symbol as a kid that I was not aware of

In my case, clothes and shoes that hadn't belonged to someone else in the family first.

Errol   

Price is a joke and it appears to offer no significant new features. I hate Apple stuff anyway and don't own any, so it's not really relevant to me.

Riedquat   
14 hours ago, wish I could afford one said:

Yawn...

My old PAYG phone still works as a phone so I think I'll just stick with that.  Just can't see how a bionic chip, glass body design, end to end screen or wireless charging will help me improve my quality of life.

Sounds like just about everything else that people cheer on as wonderful "new" technology and "progress." Most of it only appears to improve quality of life if you're the type of person who gets a kick out of having something new and shiny and are impressed with high tech being able to do something it couldn't do before (how useful that is is beside the point). All it really is is an appeal to novelty of course, there's nothing substantial there.

Personally I still see no reason why I'd want any sort of mobile phone.

Option5   
8 minutes ago, Riedquat said:

Most of it only appears to improve quality of life if you're the type of person who gets a kick out of having something new and shiny

Personality based on Cat from Red Dwarf.

My XiaoMi Redmi Note 4 has a 13 megapixel camera, fingerprint reader, 5.5 inch display with 1080p at 401 ppi density.

That's as good as an Iphone 7 or high end Samsung phone and it was only 120 pounds when I bought it. It also has a Snapdragon octa-core 625 CPU.

It's funny most people I meet are spending 30-40 pounds/ month on 3 year contracts essentially spending over 500 pounds on their phone and stuck with that large outgoing every month for a phone that is similar to or worse than mine.

Edited by developer

12 hours ago, regprentice said:

That's good. One more way to identify the nutters on dating sites.

Byron   

Still prefer my Doro Geriatricphone.

Just a phone really.

if I want anything from internet, I phone my son or daughter to find out for me.

winkie   

Free markets will mean those who want it are free to purchase it, those who don't want it are free to abstain from buying it thankfully.....do I look up to someone with one, do I covert one? No, just think they have free will and choices and their choice is not necessarily another's choice....can get by very adequately with what already have that is perfectly fit for purpose.;)

reddog   

I'm actually surprised that Xiaomi hasn't had a crack directly at the UK market.  If it is able to keep price similar to what they are in China, they would have a good chance of dominating the market.

However one problem I heard, is they may be connecting to Chinese servers without you knowing it(not saying they are spying, just that you have right to know what your mobile phone is connecting to)

Byron   

Nasty thought,

Someone might just get the idea of getting a Chinese factory to make a lookalike box into which you could put any old cheapo phone.

Owners could pose, posture, flash their phone without actually trying to use it.

2 hours ago, Byron said:

Nasty thought,

Someone might just get the idea of getting a Chinese factory to make a lookalike box into which you could put any old cheapo phone.

Owners could pose, posture, flash their phone without actually trying to use it.

Gosh that is concerning. Complications! How will we cope? ;)

Bloo Loo   

This phone generates so much Iphone envy in me, I cant think of anything else.  I now identify my gender as Iphone 8 and I would appreciate any further conversation includes my correct pronouns please.

Bloo Loo   

facial recognition...just dont put this thing in your underpants....contents to be viewed, saved on servers and fapped around the internet.

4 hours ago, Bloo Loo said:

facial recognition...just dont put this thing in your underpants....contents to be viewed, saved on servers and fapped around the internet.

facial biometric 'fingerprint' and processing all claimed to be local by apple, so apparently not a concern

if only i could make my reply amusing ...

Errol   

Makes it very easy to steal phones. Criminals can surely just mug someone at knife point and threaten death if the person doesn't unlock the phone.

Will!   
On 12/09/2017 at 10:15 PM, NuBrit said:

I would never actually buy an Iphone, but I have to say, I love it as an investment. It's an amazing business when you consider that despite wages stagnating against inflation, Iphone users will still always upgrade to the latest model. The only thing that annoys me about Apple is that they aren't quite aggressive enough in raising prices. 

My AAPL shares are up 1000% since I bought them.  I've been selling my CGT allowance 's worth each year since Steve Jobs died (except last year when ARM was bought out) and to me it seems only a matter of time before its numbers disappoint Wall Street and the wild expectations for the future are stripped out of the share price.

newbonic   

I had to replace the screen in my teen kid's iPhone 5s for the 3rd time in 2 yrs, a few months ago. I took it to a market stall in Sheffield again. He does them for £40 (Apple charge £100). I joked with him that I'll see him again in 6 months and he laughed and told me that he replaces between 10 and 20 iPhone screens per weekend, and it was great business for him. Imagine that churn scaled up planet wide...

Apple's marketing is very very good, and remorseless, it's up there with German car makers. Many people are obviously prepared to pay well over the odds for a logo (or nag their parents to do so - which makes Assoles marketing even more contemptuous).

Beats me why people pay the money for this overpriced Tat.

I have a Redmi Note 3 purchased from Gearbest does everything the current i phone does for a 5th of the price. No doubt in due course they will release another model which will have all these new features for a 5th of the price.

Just need to have a little faith and DYOR in ordering from China......

Best phone I have ever had btw and now getting close to its 3rd year. I paid around £120 I think but it shows now at £150+

https://www.gearbest.com/cell-phones/pp_269049.html?wid=83&currency=GBP&vip=760164&gclid=EAIaIQobChMItJSTmsmp1gIVS7HtCh2BkQdtEAQYASABEgIRNfD_BwE