Sign in to follow this  
Thorn

Freddo- sanity

Thorn   

Watching with interest as the dollar index moves, meanwhile the slower-than-I-would-like pace of house price reductions near me has got me wondering if there's another way to measure HPI and sentiment.

So while in this Limbo, on Facebook I've spotted a new group called- "Using the price of Freddos to judge the state of the economy".

It seems theyre not going to go back to 10p anytime soon. Are they a metaphor for House Price levels for the young?

Calcutta   

Have seen the meme going around, the price of Freddos means the minimum wages should be £18 or £15ph. Thanks to reading HPC I've been able to quite rationally explain why the meme is a joke, but also pretty much correct. 

A few months ago I have done the same but with a lot more swearing and blaming immigrants.

spyguy   
9 minutes ago, insertcoinstocontinue said:

Noticed they'd gone up to 30p. Bad times.. at this rate we won't be now to afford a small piece of chocolate let alone a house :-(

Inflation is everywhere but the stats and wages.

winkie   

Used to be measured in mars bars from what I can remember......shrinkage and CPI chocolate price inflation, and sometimes reduction in quality of ingredients.....in the end it is no longer worth buying and or lost both will and ability to buy.....time to diversity to something better and of better value, doing things differently.......less costing more for less of what no longer want.;)

oracle   
16 hours ago, insertcoinstocontinue said:

Yup. Anyone bought a 99 with a flake lately from you friendly migrant ice cream man??? 

I've got a patent on the flake 72:lol:

winkie   
1 hour ago, oracle said:

shrinkflation meets new market demographics!

Carry on and will shrink until it eventually disappears.......not around to purchase......who will miss it anyway, who never had it can ever miss it?;)

Thorn   
8 hours ago, winkie said:

Carry on and will shrink until it eventually disappears.......not around to purchase......who will miss it anyway, who never had it can ever miss it?;)

They are more real than houses, careers and security for the Shafted Generation.

You know where you are with a Freddo in your hand. You put the kettle on and maybe look forward to it with your cuppa. 

Houses and careers? How can you work towards and look forward to getting them?

Freddos are get-able.

scb   
On 08/09/2017 at 9:12 PM, Calcutta said:

Have seen the meme going around, the price of Freddos means the minimum wages should be £18 or £15ph. Thanks to reading HPC I've been able to quite rationally explain why the meme is a joke, but also pretty much correct. 

A few months ago I have done the same but with a lot more swearing and blaming immigrants.

That £18 quoted is wrong. Freddos were introduced I 1996 for 10p. The minimum wage was introduced in 1999 at £3.60. Freddos are now 30p, so 3 times higher. That means minimum wage should be about £10.80. So yes, wages are too low compared to Freddos but not as much as twitter suggests!

On 08/09/2017 at 9:43 PM, insertcoinstocontinue said:

Yup. Anyone bought a 99 with a flake lately from you friendly migrant ice cream man??? 

Yes...its not worth taking your kids to the park and offeeing them an ice cream unless you have a tenner in your wallet. Ive seen a lot of parents go to a supermarket and buy a multipack of ice lollies/magnums etc.

Round may way the ice cream man diesnt come round til the kids are in bed (7.30 - 8.30 pm), sounding his horn just at the right time to ruin their sleep for the night. And his main line of business seems to be cigarettes. 

They used to use the Big Mac Index to show disparity between nations (local earnings v cost of a locally sourced Big Mac) - how does this fare when comparing UK inflation over time? I've not been for a while but IIRC Big Macs were £1.29 back in the day!

I'm with the poster above - certain things have entirely disappeared from my shopping because I felt I was being conned by 'new sizes' - the first small size Magnum I bought was the last Magnum I'll ever buy, total p1sstake.

Errol   
4 hours ago, wasbuckers said:

They used to use the Big Mac Index to show disparity between nations (local earnings v cost of a locally sourced Big Mac) - how does this fare when comparing UK inflation over time? I've not been for a while but IIRC Big Macs were £1.29 back in the day!

I'm with the poster above - certain things have entirely disappeared from my shopping because I felt I was being conned by 'new sizes' - the first small size Magnum I bought was the last Magnum I'll ever buy, total p1sstake.

Yep. I just stop buying whatever shrinks or drops in quality. If other people are doing this, hopefully the companies doing this sort of thing will go out of business. It's what they deserve.

Edited by Errol

Thorn   
8 hours ago, wasbuckers said:

IIRC McDonalds continued to trade well through the GFC- I remember a lot of people saying it was seen by many customers in ireland at least as a low-cost option for eating out when they couldn't keep going out to eat at proper restaurants etc.

Steve Keen describes a point where consumers are maxed out on credit and a whole wave of them suddenly find they aren't able to keep spending as they did. The recession brings this sudden lack of customers as an unexpected shock and it hits a lot of businesses hard, notably restaurants.

McDonalds and Freddos will likely keep selling if desperation hits.

BTW - things like Magnum and Roses tins are easy to spot because they're a complete p1sst@ke but I recently noticed orange juice cartons in Morrisons and Sainsbury often have 950ml - this is very sneaky indeed.

John51   

Back when I was selling insurance/pensions, I used pints of lager as a unit of currency. I know that the price includes a lot of tax, but that tax is set to what brings the most revenue to the state. So a pretty good indicator of what most people can afford to pay for a pint imo. Made for an easier sale too. You invest 20 pints of lager a month into these funds...and when you retire...

winkie   
On 9/10/2017 at 9:11 PM, wasbuckers said:

BTW - things like Magnum and Roses tins are easy to spot because they're a complete p1sst@ke but I recently noticed orange juice cartons in Morrisons and Sainsbury often have 950ml - this is very sneaky indeed.

....had a chocolate the other day the one in a mauve cellophane wrapper almond shaped, with soft toffee and a hazelnut inside....it was no whole hazelnut it was a small piece of a hazelnut.......yes, a litre is shrinking, bottles are shrinking, contents in packets are shrinking....less for more.;)

Option5   
2 minutes ago, winkie said:

....had a chocolate the other day the one in a mauve cellophane wrapper almond shaped, with soft toffee and a hazelnut inside....it was no whole hazelnut it was a small piece of a hazelnut.......yes, a litre is shrinking, bottles are shrinking, contents in packets are shrinking....less for more.;)

And our nuts are shrinking :ph34r:

On ‎10‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 3:51 PM, Errol said:

Yep. I just stop buying whatever shrinks or drops in quality. If other people are doing this, hopefully the companies doing this sort of thing will go out of business. It's what they deserve.

Absolutely.  I don't buy cream eggs any more now they've changed to lower quality chocolate.

(They are also smaller, but that was good IMHO as they were a bit too big before).

Locke   
On 9/10/2017 at 0:52 AM, scb said:

That £18 quoted is wrong. Freddos were introduced I 1996 for 10p. The minimum wage was introduced in 1999 at £3.60. Freddos are now 30p, so 3 times higher. That means minimum wage should be about £10.80. So yes, wages are too low compared to Freddos but not as much as twitter suggests!

Do they weight the same and have the same amount of cocoa in them?

Slimline   

I earn 3 times as much as 14 years ago and have probable a third of the same spending power, i think the freddo index could be a future index! :D

Futuroid   
On 08/09/2017 at 9:12 PM, Calcutta said:

The immigrants are stealing our Freddos. It's TRUE, I read it on HPC!