House Price Crash Forum

'Housing crisis fuelling motorhome boom' as visitors bunk on the drive

HOLA441

This article seems to think people are using motorhomes so they can visit friends and family whose houses happen to be smaller now and can't accommodate visitors. I, however believe there are 2 big forms of motorhome buyers: 1. Rich boomers whose mortgages are paid off and don't know what else to spend their money on so buy a 50k motorhome to travel around in. and 2. There's a big culture of vanlife, very big in America certainly where people are choosing to forego rent and live in vans. This is gaining traction pretty quickly now as people realise it's not much of a compromise to move into a van and the savings are massive, even staying on campsites permanently. There is the added bonus of course of waking up to a new view each day. This is all becoming more possible with wireless data, nomadic jobs and solar power.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/08/15/housing-crisis-fueling-motorhome-boom-families-cannot-accommodate/?fref=gc

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443

I've seen a few around on people's drives and they are being lived in for at least some of the year.  I've also seen a car with duvet in the back and person asleep parked in a residential street and it has been there for some time.  It's a sign of the times and no council tax to pay:D

HOLA444

Before I met my wife I was thinking of renting out my house and living in a static home, my issue being my need for a workshop (my hobby). It's amazing what a drain on funds houses are, makes me wonder why people think owning more than one of them is the ultimate - the fad thing is just nuts.

HOLA445
30 minutes ago, wsn03 said:

Before I met my wife I was thinking of renting out my house and living in a static home, my issue being my need for a workshop (my hobby). It's amazing what a drain on funds houses are, makes me wonder why people think owning more than one of them is the ultimate - the fad thing is just nuts.

I'd be happy with an industrial unit with a caravan or just the small office sections they sometimes have for living in. Bit of parking out front and maybe grow some plants, be happy with that :)

HOLA446
1 hour ago, Northern Welsh Midlander said:

I'd be happy with an industrial unit with a caravan or just the small office sections they sometimes have for living in. Bit of parking out front and maybe grow some plants, be happy with that :)

My ultimate hope was for a workshop with like a mezzanine floor in it (is that the right term, or is that just a word invented by pretentious t*$ts for pretentious t*$ts? Open plan, bed, kitchen, tv, sofa all in one space, all overlooking my beloved workshop.

HOLA447

I'd consider a motor home or even a caravan as an extra room on our drive in perpetuity or make use of one of those gliding club pitches that fall into the grey area where I know people live practically all year around for circa £500 plus club membership fees. You get shower facilities, a cafe and the chance to get towed into the air on good days if you happen to be around. Out of season the people living on-site claim to be carrying out maintenance on their gliders or instruments.

HOLA448

Someone I know went to live in the middle of nowhere in Dorset...I have been to visit a lot over the last few years and I didn't notice at first but the more I visit the more I see caravans that appear to be occupied near to other houses - down the side or in the yard etc.  I think a lot of people live in caravans out in the sticks...it will be friends and family of the home owners in most cases.  they have no hope of buying a place or affording the rent anywhere.  Some may be lodgers and workers perhaps.  I expect all of this is totally hidden but then who gives a toss about the rural poor.

HOLA449
HOLA4410

There's a stretch of road on the Downs* in Bristol where occupied motorhomes are regularly parked overnight, seemingly with impunity.

I have seen some motorhomes stay there for several weeks. No site fees, no council tax etc.

https://www.bristol.gov.uk/museums-parks-sports-culture/the-downs

Something similar, but on a larger scale and perhaps more organised, is now happening in North Bristol:

http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/travellers-20-caravans-remain-stoke-326674

HOLA4411

Another good thread :)

You just have to look at the reality of the situation for so many people in this country now. You take someone who just cannot afford any house, no if or buts, he/she just cannot do it. So then we have the next option, that person must rent, no ifs or buts again, there just is not any other option, maybe with the odd exception.

You then get that person on above average wages who has a nice little cash pot in the bank who then wants options and choices if he/she is forced to rent, and we all know there is very little there, the same c*** in general is taking our rent and has our balls vice like, no options, give a good deposit, and no you can't paint the lounge, have a dog or smoke.

So you can see the temptation of getting an asset such as a motorhome or narrowboat paid outright where there is a good chance you can sell on later for little loss and virtually have a fully functional home with the added bonus of the fun element if you have the right state of mind and then pocket the £1000 plus  rent per month for even more savings.

I will tell you what though, if young adults rebeled in this logical and intelligent way the government would work fulltime to get them to give up through some kind of pressure and return to rent or buy. I am actually working on a camper right now, I do a lot of outdoors stuff, and when I sleep say on Snowdonia or the Highlands in the back of a mates camper it is one of the deepest nicest sleeps going, and for pennies agter the initial outlay.

Just for note, if you have £25,000 plus  you and build  an outstanding and sizable home if you are good with your  hands and DIY and are a little creative, less than two years of rent. But where do you park the f*****, the government, BBC and MSM will soon have you categorised as a smelly tramp like troublemaker without ever adressing the real issue.

HOLA4412
20 minutes ago, wotsthat said:

Just for note, if you have £25,000 plus  you and build  an outstanding and sizable home if you are good with your  hands and DIY and are a little creative, less than two years of rent. But where do you park the f*****, the government, BBC and MSM will soon have you categorised as a smelly tramp like troublemaker without ever adressing the real issue.

One of those build your own blogs http://syntheti.cc/van-build/?utm_content=buffer9547a&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

That was in this thread that also has links to similar threads on here 

HOLA4413
14 minutes ago, Democorruptcy said:

One of those build your own blogs http://syntheti.cc/van-build/?utm_content=buffer9547a&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

That was in this thread that also has links to similar threads on here 

I take my hat off to the guy who dropped everything and toured the States, like he said "Fu*k the Banks"

You only live once, I know it's a cliche and not easy to fight back, but if only a huge number of forced renters took the biggest/largest gap year in UK history they would return to the UK minus many of the problesm they once had and after having fun as well. For a start it would destroy the BTL industry, the UK could not handle voids like that, certain groups would be rewarded for having a life after taking a year out

HOLA4414
30 minutes ago, wotsthat said:

I take my hat off to the guy who dropped everything and toured the States, like he said "Fu*k the Banks"

You only live once, I know it's a cliche and not easy to fight back, but if only a huge number of forced renters took the biggest/largest gap year in UK history they would return to the UK minus many of the problesm they once had and after having fun as well. For a start it would destroy the BTL industry, the UK could not handle voids like that, certain groups would be rewarded for having a life after taking a year out

best thing the kids can do if they can is move back to parents and say FU to landlords. couple years of that would flush out the ones holding on with their finger tips 

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
13 minutes ago, longgone said:

best thing the kids can do if they can is move back to parents and say FU to landlords. couple years of that would flush out the ones holding on with their finger tips 

You would think with social media and millions of disgruntled under 40's working their ****** off  to pay somone elses mortgage that they could co-ordinate a "lets fu*k up UK landlords". I would give it less than a year before they would be forced to lower rents or sell up.

I am not the one being the tw*t here, rents are crippling so many people today, I could sleep well at night if I played my part in destroying that one evil group of people.

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
4 minutes ago, wotsthat said:

You would think with social media and millions of disgruntled under 40's working their ****** off  to pay somone elses mortgage that they could co-ordinate a "lets fu*k up UK landlords". I would give it less than a year before they would be forced to lower rents or sell up.

I am not the one being the tw*t here, rents are crippling so many people today, I could sleep well at night if I played my part in destroying that one evil group of people.

Give me the power and i will happily do that for you , no remorse what so ever i consider them a cancer. I am actually ashamed to be british with what has happened to this country the past 20 years. 

Our politicians should be ashamed of themselves . the soldiers of both world wars died for nothing. the real enemy lives in the square mile or in a building with a big clock in it. 

i come to this site to read all the elaborate ways this HPI forever will fail but the simple answer is just not to pay , and if that is live with relatives or friends and pay a tiny rent to them or live in a van or in a tent in the woods that`s what you should do .  don`t pay the rent and don`t pay the stupid prices being asked just walk away FU to everyone. 

crypto is a good idea trying to take away the power of fiat, but you already have the power by not accepting prices like i said walk away say FU. 

or do this en mass http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/9143378/Family-wins-right-to-remain-in-hidden-house-in-the-woods.html 10,000 priced out family's move into a big field somewhere and say FU we are staying and building  homes here , just make sure the land is owned by the councils and not the crown estate . 

HOLA4419
HOLA4420

There are so many living like this in the UK. A simple search on FB will uncover countless groups of van dwellers swapping places to park and other tips.

There does seem to be an effort by the councils to clamp down on this. A lady parked up on a street in Brighton has had a court summons after complaints by locals after being parked up long term.

The key is to move around and not to appear too much on the same spot.

Another thing I learned is that any signs saying something like 'no overnight camping/sleeping' can be largely ignored unless a specific byelaw and fine is quoted.

I have vehicle stealth camped in posh parts of SW London. It's surprisingly easy to do and beats paying for a hotel.

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423

I have seen many establishments that provide parking for a motorhome or caravan/car....places like public houses, sometimes they provide electricity point, water and a place for different wastes to be disposed of.....often but not all 12 months of the year.....some take no charge, only to use their services...and to respect other visitors and the environment.

The only snag is having a permanent address would have thought.....;)

HOLA4424
18 hours ago, wsn03 said:

My ultimate hope was for a workshop with like a mezzanine floor in it (is that the right term, or is that just a word invented by pretentious t*$ts for pretentious t*$ts? Open plan, bed, kitchen, tv, sofa all in one space, all overlooking my beloved workshop.

Yes! Except maybe the open plan bit... kitchen separate for me :)

HOLA4425