TheCountOfNowhere

Decline in house prices starts to extend beyond London

Si1   
32 minutes ago, 2buyornot2buy said:

I would have thought the school connections just reinforce the connections the parents have already made rather than creating any new ones?

I guess if I was paying 30k a year I'd at least expect my child to attend a school with the same academic standards as one with fees of zero. It baffles me how NI non fee paying grammar schools can do so well compared to the English fee paying counterparts. 

I'd tend to say don't confuse exam results with academic standards.

Thorn   
31 minutes ago, dances with sheeple said:

"But in Bellvue and Broughton prices were revealed to be on the downturn. The firm’s data showed the average price of a two bedroom flat in the area went down 9.2 per cent year-on-year"

Interesting PR there in that article- thanks for sharing... but my Big Old Irish Tin Foil Hat with built-in BS detector has its Red Blinky Light going off here... so...

Ah yes/ there it is - in this article there seems to be no mention of Volumes of sales?

If it was a scientific study it would be classed as not really useful and sort of pointless- because the Size of the Sample doesn't get a mention. 

"Why Not?" should be our question. 

10 hours ago, VeryMeanReversion said:

That is incompatible with human nature. 

I've met quite a few of them, strange creatures with an urge to compete, breed and occasionally kill each other.

It is not incompatible with the first two, competing or breeding. But yes, it seems to be incompatible with a part of human nature; the part where people are willing to harm each other to one degree or another because they are not satisfied with their abilities at the first two.

Or people are just too dumb to understand. People do not seem to appreciate the difference between fair healthy changes/increases in the price of something due to free market forces, and unfair/rigged changes or increases in the price of something due to manipulation of the supply of resources such as money or land etc..

Any HPI not due to improvement is an unfair transfer of wealth. There is no "oh a little bit is fair".... no it f*cking isnt! It is an unjustified transfer of wealth! Where do people think that extra output they can now consume comes from if they havent done anything economically productive? Someone ELSE has to work to produce that extra output and hand it over! There is no matter of degree and it seems even here people dont get it.

Home owners receiving HPI not due to improvements they have made are enslaving others.

14 hours ago, 2buyornot2buy said:

I would have thought the school connections just reinforce the connections the parents have already made rather than creating any new ones?

I guess if I was paying 30k a year I'd at least expect my child to attend a school with the same academic standards as one with fees of zero. It baffles me how NI non fee paying grammar schools can do so well compared to the English fee paying counterparts. 

Actually the reverse, the majority of parents in my sons year were working class made good - where was I going to find the upper class connections I thought were important 

in fact and I am sure you don't mean this , many parents are put off by private schools even though they can afford them because they think they don't belong

the truth is if you can buy a ticket to the ball your in and accepted whatever your background because you are essentially shelling out together for the same goals 

seemed much less class conscious than the average state school in an affluent area

Edited by Greg Bowman

ccc   
3 hours ago, Thorn said:

Interesting PR there in that article- thanks for sharing... but my Big Old Irish Tin Foil Hat with built-in BS detector has its Red Blinky Light going off here... so...

Ah yes/ there it is - in this article there seems to be no mention of Volumes of sales?

If it was a scientific study it would be classed as not really useful and sort of pointless- because the Size of the Sample doesn't get a mention. 

"Why Not?" should be our question. 

The centre area of Edinburgh is very bubbly right now. Prob folk thinking they will buy a flat and do air BnB. They clearly haven't been looking at the availability in Edinburgh right now. It's saturated to the extreme. 

On 8/12/2017 at 6:37 PM, 2buyornot2buy said:

Still not quite getting it I think, the academic standards are ok top quartile but thats not what you send them for in the main. 

I had no connections having gone to a sink catholic comprehensive and left at 17, I ended up with two children at Russell Group Uni's and personally approx £1.5 million of business ( over a 7 year period) through meeting CEO's, FD's etc as I said the vibe is a lot more inclusive than you think once you are part of the club

Not sure I would have got that ROI in a state selective grammar school mainland or NI

It's sort of like what they say about the 60's if you can remember it you weren't there, if you haven't experienced both systems personally than hard to understand it I guess

It's not about the education.......

1 hour ago, Greg Bowman said:

Still not quite getting it I think, the academic standards are ok top quartile but thats not what you send them for in the main. 

I had no connections having gone to a sink catholic comprehensive and left at 17, I ended up with two children at Russell Group Uni's and personally approx £1.5 million of business ( over a 7 year period) through meeting CEO's, FD's etc as I said the vibe is a lot more inclusive than you think once you are part of the club

Not sure I would have got that ROI in a state selective grammar school mainland or NI

It's sort of like what they say about the 60's if you can remember it you weren't there, if you haven't experienced both systems personally than hard to understand it I guess

Still not yet getting it. The wife and I both attended selective free grammars here in NI. Both attended Russell group university. Both schools would be top 30 in the UK league tables. Cost to parents exactly zero. 

It's not turned out too bad. I own a small company and the OH is equity partner in a £250 mill plus firm. I'm honestly not sure what paid for secondary school connections would have added.

Or are you saying the Russell group connections are the useful ones? 

Si1   
24 minutes ago, 2buyornot2buy said:

Still not yet getting it. The wife and I both attended selective free grammars here in NI. Both attended Russell group university. Both schools would be top 30 in the UK league tables. Cost to parents exactly zero. 

It's not turned out too bad. I own a small company and the OH is equity partner in a £250 mill plus firm. I'm honestly not sure what paid for secondary school connections would have added.

Or are you saying the Russell group connections are the useful ones? 

I do like the cut of your jib, as also I enjoy generally Greg's posts too; I went to a good state grammar and two RG unis - however, whilst Greg is genuinely trying to generalise, anecdote like this doesn't cut it:

http://trulyfallacious.com/logic/logical-fallacies/relevance/appeals/anecdotal-fallacy

3 hours ago, Greg Bowman said:

I attended the local comp before attending a Clarendon Boarding school.As my mother kept reminding me.

Disliked it intensely.Immense waste of money but parents moved abroad for work.What boarding schools do in my experience is

1) help thick rich kids get 3 A levels.

2) Enable clever rich kids to get into Oxbridge

One of the problems I found with the experience was the often arrogant attitude of some of the kids.It sets you up for a potentially nasty fall when you hit the world.

Overall,I don't think it does the majority much good.When people head off Uni,the kids from the comps catch up by the end of the first year, because they're generally used to organising themselves and don't need it serving on a plate.

As for contacts,there are far better ways to invest £150k imo.

One or other issue is running out of money or not having enough when you're there for the add ons.Knew a few people who got pulled out due to cost which was quite destabilising.

Edited by Sancho Panza

27 minutes ago, Si1 said:

I do like the cut of your jib, as also I enjoy generally Greg's posts too; I went to a good state grammar and two RG unis - however, whilst Greg is genuinely trying to generalise, anecdote like this doesn't cut it:

http://trulyfallacious.com/logic/logical-fallacies/relevance/appeals/anecdotal-fallacy

How do they select for sate grmamars?

Si1   
17 minutes ago, Sancho Panza said:

How do they select for sate grmamars?

Mine was a very long time ago so probably not relevant to the current practices or even limitations.

They had some kind of report from my primary school and they also interviewed me with my parents present. It was a mix of personal and academic questions, to gauge my background, attitude and ability. A few of my co-pupils who got in weren't academically strong but were what you might call the deserving not very able poor and were accepted because they were determined to better themselves through positive attitude.

29 minutes ago, Si1 said:

Mine was a very long time ago so probably not relevant to the current practices or even limitations.

They had some kind of report from my primary school and they also interviewed me with my parents present. It was a mix of personal and academic questions, to gauge my background, attitude and ability. A few of my co-pupils who got in weren't academically strong but were what you might call the deserving not very able poor and were accepted because they were determined to better themselves through positive attitude.

That's sounds a like a cracking way to create a little social mobility.Be interesting to know if they still interview.

The one worry with selective state schooling is that it's all exam based which would undermine it's central pupose.

Si1   
10 minutes ago, Sancho Panza said:

That's sounds a like a cracking way to create a little social mobility.Be interesting to know if they still interview.

The one worry with selective state schooling is that it's all exam based which would undermine it's central pupose.

I think they moved to exam based some time after I left, which may be more accountable but also more gameable by the sharp elbowed middle classes.

malk   

I find the idea that creating a system where a few "deserving" regular kids along with some "working class made good" (implies, meant or not, that the ones who don't get rich aren't good) get to be educated with, presumably "undeserving" rich and that this benefits them?

Weird.

Let's have the Finnish system please. No private schools, great funding and teaching all schools and nowhere to hide and enable the sociopathic 1%.

No reasonable definition of desert allows for children to deserve better opportunities because of their parents success. Sure they're entitled to it but that doesn't say a great deal.

Si1   
10 minutes ago, malk said:

I find the idea that creating a system where a few "deserving" regular kids along with some "working class made good" (implies, meant or not, that the ones who don't get rich aren't good) get to be educated with, presumably "undeserving" rich and that this benefits them?

Weird.

Let's have the Finnish system please. No private schools, great funding and teaching all schools and nowhere to hide and enable the sociopathic 1%.

No reasonable definition of desert allows for children to deserve better opportunities because of their parents success. Sure they're entitled to it but that doesn't say a great deal.

It's a fair point. Would be nice to see something like the Finnish system working here. But Finland is a much smaller country than us, is it scaleable?

wotsthat   
On 12/08/2017 at 5:51 PM, Greg Bowman said:

You are a hostile little chap aren't you old boy 😎😉

Sorry I didn't put why I sent my children to private school instead of our thought process was......

Perhaps you should of gone to a decent school 😉

I said the exact same, another hostile little poster. Also he has started sending me homophobic replies which I find particulary offensive though not even Gay :) and now aggresive private messages.

31 minutes ago, wotsthat said:

I said the exact same, another hostile little poster. Also he has started sending me homophobic replies which I find particulary offensive though not even Gay :) and now aggresive private messages.

What is that all about !! Sorry to hear it - your new to the board and I already enjoy your posting.

Surely mods - he can be reported ? people have disappeared for less

28 minutes ago, Greg Bowman said:

What is that all about !! Sorry to hear it - your new to the board and I already enjoy your posting.

Surely mods - he can be reported ? people have disappeared for less

I asked the troll to block me to avoid clogging up the boards, he is a confused teenage windup merchant, who seems to be the most delicate of snowflakes when responded to.

Edited by Habitationi Bulla

Tapori   
13 hours ago, The Moderators said:

Hostile ignorant posters are not welcome on HPC.  Neither are homophobic allegations.  The member responsible is now permanently banned.

Thank you Warren G and Nate Dogg

On ‎12‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 10:56 PM, Greg Bowman said:

Actually the reverse, the majority of parents in my sons year were working class made good - where was I going to find the upper class connections I thought were important 

in fact and I am sure you don't mean this , many parents are put off by private schools even though they can afford them because they think they don't belong

the truth is if you can buy a ticket to the ball your in and accepted whatever your background because you are essentially shelling out together for the same goals 

seemed much less class conscious than the average state school in an affluent area

Top post that Greg and is exactly how it is, the high end real deal private school much less class conscious than the average state school in an affluent area, by some margin too

winkie   
2 minutes ago, Talking Monkey said:

Top post that Greg and is exactly how it is, the high end real deal private school much less class conscious than the average state school in an affluent area, by some margin too

Every other school a private school in certain areas outside London......;)

On 8/12/2017 at 6:37 PM, 2buyornot2buy said:

NI Grammar schools generally select on the basis of academic achievement, so you have a 'smarter' set of kids to begin with and there's less need to spread the school's resources in order to cater for a wide spectrum of academic abilities.

Paying large amounts of money should get you access to better teaching resources/ more qualified staff, so all other things being equal, you'd expect a child to fair better in such an environment vs a school which didn't have 'star' teachers and fantastic facilities and had broadly the same intake.  So you are maximising the childs chances of achieving.  However, it's unlikely that all that budget can boost the overall performance of a random bunch of kids to match up with a school that started with a more able intake, unless that other school is rubbish of course but if it was, no-one would be competing to send their kids there.

The actual 'Public Schools' are another thing - that's all about buying your kids a chance to become part of the establishment, or at least a foot in the door.