winkie   

All Estate Agents have to have the perfect hair cut....but they are all only a  few steps away from requiring shelter.;)

MattW   

'Grant Property' will probably be no more by the end of 2018 once their clients decide to sell up after getting big tax demands. Here's hoping.

Funn3r   
3 hours ago, longgone said:

is the blue wheelie bin part of the shelter outfit ?

It's not a blue wheelie bin it is a compact yet deceptively spacious bijoux apartment in an up and coming area

Wayward   

Serious question - would anybody here in the know like to share a view on Shelter and what they achieve or don't achieve...I would be very interested...?  Perhaps they support HPI promoting polices such as high housing benefit, forbearance, state paying for mortgages of unemployed etc I don't know...the road to h3ll is paved with good intentions so it wouldn't surprise me if they do a lot of damage but I don't know...?

newgi   
17 hours ago, TheCountOfNowhere said:

Someone, somewhere is laughing at us all....

Irony.png

People really are laughing at you but not for any reason connected with the photograph. :P

12 hours ago, Wayward said:

Serious question - would anybody here in the know like to share a view on Shelter and what they achieve or don't achieve...I would be very interested...?  Perhaps they support HPI promoting polices such as high housing benefit, forbearance, state paying for mortgages of unemployed etc I don't know...the road to h3ll is paved with good intentions so it wouldn't surprise me if they do a lot of damage but I don't know...?

I don't agree with their views on the benefit cap

http://blog.shelter.org.uk/2015/07/the-lower-benefit-cap-this-changes-everything/

They don't even consider that it might reduce rents.  Nor whether people should be able to live where ever they want.

13 hours ago, Wayward said:

I asked them various housing related questions on twitter and was ignored.

I had a pop at them on twitter about their chief execs massive remuneration package and they came straight back to defend it, giving it the old "we need to attract the top talent to move the charity forward" bulls**t.

Those two things tell me all I need to know about shelter.

Wayward   
2 hours ago, iamnumerate said:

I don't agree with their views on the benefit cap

http://blog.shelter.org.uk/2015/07/the-lower-benefit-cap-this-changes-everything/

They don't even consider that it might reduce rents.  Nor whether people should be able to live where ever they want.

Thanks I feared as much...they haven't thought through the implications of supporting rents through housing benefit - but then neither has the government.

longgone   
2 hours ago, TheCountOfNowhere said:

I had a pop at them on twitter about their chief execs massive remuneration package and they came straight back to defend it, giving it the old "we need to attract the top talent to move the charity forward" bulls**t.

does it require difficult skills to stick your palm out 

Lambie   
On 02/08/2017 at 8:40 PM, Wayward said:

Like all government funded fake charities they talk a great game but take no action that would actually deliver their stated aims, as there would no longer be a reason for them to exist and receive government funding.

On 03/08/2017 at 9:52 AM, TheCountOfNowhere said:

I asked them various housing related questions on twitter and was ignored.

Those two things tell me all I need to know about shelter.

Although I'm sure the salary isn't large enough to buy somewhere nice in London that their status deserves.

Perhaps they could pay less and move to a more affordable city and with the savings get more people off the street?

Wayward   

Recently heard the interim CEO speak...seems they do a lot of good in terms of offering advice to folk with housing issues but little or nothing towards solving the underlining problems or causes.  I think they have a role to play but its much like you would expect from the Citizens Advice Bureau.

Funn3r   
4 minutes ago, Wayward said:

Recently heard the interim CEO speak...seems they do a lot of good in terms of offering advice to folk with housing issues but little or nothing towards solving the underlining problems or causes.  I think they have a role to play but its much like you would expect from the Citizens Advice Bureau.

They are certainly very popular. I phoned their helpline when I had serious landlord problems but after being told "you are 14th in the queue" I abandoned them and went to Citizens Advice.

On 09/08/2017 at 0:50 PM, Funn3r said:

They are certainly very popular. I phoned their helpline when I had serious landlord problems but after being told "you are 14th in the queue" I abandoned them and went to Citizens Advice.

An organisation that tells you you are 14th in the queue and then plays you a wonky tape of crappy muzak will also tell you that that's because "your call is important to us..."