House Price Crash Forum

How any Brit can get another EU passport in 6 years

ExiledMatty

HOLA441

I have been doing a lot of research about maintaining EU citizenship after Brexit and found Portugal to be perfect.

- Getting a five year residency in Portugal is as easy as turning up to a local town hall with a passport and national insurance card called a NIR (easy to get also).

- You do not have to stay in Portugal for five years. I am trying to find the exact requirements but I think you only have to be in the country for only 6 months out of every 30.

- After 5 years you apply for permanent residency.

- After on more year (year 6) you can apply for citizenship and become an EU cittizen again :)

Notes...

Portugal and UK has a double tax agreement and its possible to run a UK company, live in Portugal and only pay tax in the UK ( or just choose PT). You will get health cover either way.

Portugal allows dual citizenship, Spain for instance doesn't.

If you are going to make a move then the Brexit clock is ticking. Could be much harder after March 2019.

I am about to start process so will report back.

Please don't take the above as gospel, there is a lot of misinformation on the subject, do you own research etc!

HOLA442

This looks promising. Doubly so given I was thinking about a move there anyway. 

I found the following on the europa website--

Your continuity of residence is not affected by:

temporary absences (less than 6 months per year)
longer absences for compulsory military service
one absence of 12 consecutive months, for important reasons such as pregnancy and childbirth, serious illness, work, vocational training or a posting to another country

Where did you find the 6 months in 30 requirement? It looks to be 6 months per year, during which you have to be either working or can show that you can support yourself independently.

HOLA443
23 hours ago, Chunketh said:

This looks promising. Doubly so given I was thinking about a move there anyway. 

I found the following on the europa website--

Your continuity of residence is not affected by:

temporary absences (less than 6 months per year)
longer absences for compulsory military service
one absence of 12 consecutive months, for important reasons such as pregnancy and childbirth, serious illness, work, vocational training or a posting to another country

Where did you find the 6 months in 30 requirement? It looks to be 6 months per year, during which you have to be either working or can show that you can support yourself independently.

I read that on a FB group, just trying to find some more official confirmation.

Appears that it's almost impossible for the local authorities to prove you were out of the country providing you stick within the schengen area.

Having a continuous rental agreement or owning property would obviously help.

HOLA444

Ok, so you officially have to be in the country for 4 months a year (and not more than 6 months in go).

Means you can avoid being a tax resident which could be handy.

As I said above, it's almost impossivle for the authorities to know if you have left for longer than 8 months.

HOLA445
HOLA446
  • 3 years later...
HOLA447

This is what a Portuguese lawyer emailed to me:

1.       You may access golden visa from 280k (If you buy in a area classified as low density area  - generally speaking outside of Lisbon and Oporto areas);

2.       Legal fees, including application filling and due diligence for the property acquisition: €5000€; 800€ for each relative that wish to apply for “family reunion”;

3.       Governmental fees:

·         Application submission and analysis: 533.90€

·         Approval and issuance of the residence permit: 5336.40€

·         Renewal of the permit (at the end of the 1st year; 3rd year and 5th year): 2668.20€

·         Approval and issuance of the residence permit of relatives (family reunion), each person: 5336.40€

·         Renewal of the permit (at the end of the 1st year; 3rd year and 5th year), each person: 2668.20€

4.       Taxes: Property transaction tax: +/-8%, plus stamp duty 0.8%

As  an example:

Property cost:

500.000,00 €

Property transaction tax:

28.964,75 €

Stamp Duty (0,8 %):

4.000,00 €

TOTAL A PAGAR:

32.964,75 €

5.       Public deed costs, Land certificate, city council certificates and other related costs, : +/- 900,00€

After completing 5 years of Golden Visa, you may apply for permanent residency or, on the 6th year, apply for citizenship.

HOLA448
  • 3 months later...
HOLA449
On 21/12/2020 at 00:34, coypondboy said:

Another option is to mary someone eligible for a European passport, there 6 million of them living in UK at the moment plus another 10 million who have an Irish ancestor.

I thought it was only foreigners interested in sham marriages lol.

HOLA4410