reddog

Amazon to buy Wholefoods (hipster US supermarket)

17 posts in this topic

Whole foods never have fancy packaging, marketing and advertising costs.....;)

17 minutes ago, reddog said:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2017/06/16/amazon-buy-whole-foods-107bn-swoop/

what do you think the plan is here?

To me they don't seem like a good fit, but what do I know.

Will Amazon use the whole foods sites as a pick up point?

Or replace whole foods hot young staff with robots?

Sorry what? Hot young staff? Time for be to become a vegan.

10 minutes ago, dkujsbap said:

Sorry what? Hot young staff? Time for be to become a vegan.

First came across them in Philadelphia in 2002, that was the impression I was left with anyway.  Felt very young and hipster-ish (even though hipsters probably hasn't been invented then).

I don't really get what the game plan is for the staff, after all it is supposed to be a place that cares about it staff, that doesn't really fit with replacing them with automation.

Maybe they were about the right size and in the right locations for Amazon's purposes, after all they could hardly buy Walmart.

Oh and if you were wondering why they sold out?  It was because they had an activist investor who made them do it.  Their are no ethics once you are listed on the stock market.

Interestingly Amazon have the patent on a technology that prevents you checking websites for price comparisons while in a store...

http://uk.businessinsider.com/an-amazon-patent-stops-you-checking-prices-online-while-in-a-physical-store-2017-6?r=US&IR=T

If the retailer works out that you're probably looking at a competitor's site, it can try and persuade you back with a store coupon, show you that the item's immediately available in-store, or offer a discounted version of the item.

Supply chain motivated I would think.

Amazon is desperate to become a major player in the "groceries" (hate that word) market which is an odd thing to do for somewhere which doesn't actually have that many physical locations. Buying a supermarket chain fixes that I guess. 

UK equivalent Waitrose/Ocado? Or does the UKs smaller physical size render an equivalent unnecessary? Dunno. 

Interesting thing for me is that it's an all cash deal even though Bezos is using debt to finance it whilst generally holding $10-15bn on the company balance sheet. 

I think as it stands they had about $20bn in debt, almost certain to add another 10 or so now. Must have access to some serious cheap capital to make those numbers stack up. 

Amazon is a menace wherever it operates and in whatever market. Ruthless, overbearing and a persistent threat to human welfare and decency. Anyone who uses its services needs to take a long hard look at themselves.

Cheap, efficient, convenient? Sure. Just like the fire safety arrangements at Grenfell Tower.

LUB5b2d11_Keeninternet.jpg

On 2017-6-17 at 6:51 AM, JustAnotherProle said:

Interestingly Amazon have the patent on a technology that prevents you checking websites for price comparisons while in a store...

http://uk.businessinsider.com/an-amazon-patent-stops-you-checking-prices-online-while-in-a-physical-store-2017-6?r=US&IR=T

"prevent" isn't really correct. It's ONLY if you use the shop's own Wi-Fi.

10 hours ago, mrtickle said:

"prevent" isn't really correct. It's ONLY if you use the shop's own Wi-Fi.

Why would anyone do this? It's not like you can just join 'free wifi' and have a connection. You have to go through some stupid page to login or get a text.

I was in Asda the other day with no reception so logged onto their wifi to get internet. It had to send a text to my phone to register - the phone with no reception :-S

On 17/06/2017 at 1:30 PM, zugzwang said:

Amazon is a menace wherever it operates and in whatever market. Ruthless, overbearing and a persistent threat to human welfare and decency. Anyone who uses its services needs to take a long hard look at themselves.

If Amazon had a machine powered by puppy dog and kitten screams that made delivery faster, customers would not give a flying f**k.

https://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/09/19/inside-amazons-very-hot-warehouse/?_r=0  "So many ambulances responded to medical assistance calls at the warehouse during a heat wave in May"

http://www.businessinsider.com/amazon-warehouse-worker-killed-2013-12?IR=T

I think the plan will be close all or most of the shops and switch to online only, once they have fired a bunch of staff and sold off the real estate they will be able to lower prices significantly. They may also sell Amazon's other food through the Wholefoods supply chain.

Amazon arent very good retailers.They make most of their money charging 3rd party sellers like me fees.Iv had them call me dozens of times offering to partner with me to drive my sales etc rather than stock the products themselves.They cant make 13% margin on the products themselves you see,but thats what they get off me in fees.

Cant see them ever making much money out of it at that price.

Its no wonder Tesco and now Sainsbury are buying up the wholesaler suppliers though.That pulls the rug away from Amazon doing anything in the UK,unless they buy Morrisons.If they did make a play Morrisons would be maybe a target for them.

1 hour ago, durhamborn said:

Amazon arent very good retailers.They make most of their money charging 3rd party sellers like me fees.Iv had them call me dozens of times offering to partner with me to drive my sales etc rather than stock the products themselves.They cant make 13% margin on the products themselves you see,but thats what they get off me in fees.

Cant see them ever making much money out of it at that price.

Its no wonder Tesco and now Sainsbury are buying up the wholesaler suppliers though.That pulls the rug away from Amazon doing anything in the UK,unless they buy Morrisons.If they did make a play Morrisons would be maybe a target for them.

God knows how amazon will pan out.

They are not real retailers; they are a logisitics firm.

In their ideal world, joe punter buys from amazon , and the order goes thru to the manufacturer, who wraps + posts. Amazon take a 5% skim.

There's nothing amazon do that any medium sized company cannot - if they managed to recruit the software people and reorg their business. Anyone who runs any medium sized business that does a lot of transaction wold be well advised to find a good software person and have then chained to the company.

5 hours ago, honkydonkey said:

Why would anyone do this? It's not like you can just join 'free wifi' and have a connection. You have to go through some stupid page to login or get a text.

I was in Asda the other day with no reception so logged onto their wifi to get internet. It had to send a text to my phone to register - the phone with no reception :-S

Pizza Express have been doing this for years. I was in one once and just asking as usual for "the voucher discount" didn't work, the guy said no if you want the offer you have to actually get the voucher. I said are you really going to make me get my phone out and download the voucher? Yes, came the reply, with a bit of a smirk I thought. 

So OK the small print does say that so I did. After a couple of minutes tapping on my phone I showed him the voucher. His grin vanished and he said how did you do that? Our website is supposed to be blocked.

Since I have unlimited 4G data I mostly don't bother with shop WiFi but don't think the pizza guy understood the difference. 

Exactly. I'm not giving my personal private data (my telephone number) to a shop just to be able to use their website. I have limited (not unlimited) data, and if I need to, I'll use that.

Wholefoods was lambasted on the last season of South Park. They were definitely portrayed as not only "hip" but with extremely annoying assistants. This is the end of a scene where, at the till as part of the transaction, every customer is asked in front of an onlooking queue if they'd like to donate to charity. I'm assuming this part is true and really happens. One character declines and here's the result: