House Price Crash Forum

Interest rate rises are coming...

HOLA441
2 minutes ago, BoredByTorque said:

They are a very long way off being 5%. 

And an increase of  0.25% and a clear 'slow and steady' outlook isn't really that much to celebrate. They are literally giving themselves some wiggle room to drop again if they need to. 

Have you seen the panic on the TV !!!

it doesnt take 5% to collapse house prices, it'll take 1%.

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
3 minutes ago, BoredByTorque said:

And an increase of  0.25% and a clear 'slow and steady' outlook isn't really that much to celebrate. They are literally giving themselves some wiggle room to drop again if they need to. 

Frankly I think this is little more than a reversal of the misstep they made last August when they brought rates down. I think it heralds nothing; it's a "one and done" and that the next move will in fact be down.

HOLA443
HOLA444
2 minutes ago, crouch said:

Frankly I think this is little more than a reversal of the misstep they made last August when they brought rates down. I think it heralds nothing; it's a "one and done" and that the next move will in fact be down.

+1 - the question is really what will happen next - this just tooks us back to last year (or any time from 2009 onwards).

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

The MPC really need to make a statement quick to counter the rumour mill. Word on the street  is  that the MPC are wimps, they are bluffing,  and this is a dovish not a hawkish rise. Carney and the Committee really know how to screw things up. Randgold which had tanked pre-announcement rallied massively when the wimpish release came out, the pound tanked and gilts rallied.

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
16 minutes ago, Houdini said:

+1 - the question is really what will happen next - this just tooks us back to last year (or any time from 2009 onwards).

It all depends what Spreadsheet Phil has got in his bag. If he spends big (a la Corbyn) then we should see some growth next year and interest rates will rise. If he doesn't spend big then the economy fall into recession and the MPC will reverse direction again.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
37 minutes ago, BoredByTorque said:

+1 with 10 year fixes available under 2.8% I doubt very much the base rate going over 1% anytime soon.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
9 minutes ago, PopGun said:

+1 with 10 year fixes available under 2.8% I doubt very much the base rate going over 1% anytime soon.

Define soon ?  June ?  Sept next year ? 2030 ?

The wishful thinking brigade are out in force today.

Do you think the bankers, given BrExit, house prices falling in London, some tasty inflation etc would do this with no reason ?

There's a reason I'm getting out the UK, I have no intention of being here when TSHTF.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
3 minutes ago, TheCountOfNowhere said:

There's a reason I'm getting out the UK, I have no intention of being here when TSHTF.

That's wise if you can. But does that mean staying in Europe, heading for the US, Asia?? When it hits the fan, I'm not sure any where will be safe. It may be a little sunnier, but not necessarily better :) 

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
On 8/5/2017 at 5:27 PM, maverick73 said:

Decision Factors.

1. Inflation - Above the 2% threshold. (The dependency is import oil prices, if oil prices rise, so does inflation)

2. Unemployment - Below 5%, signs of a stable  economy.

3. Wage Growth - Stubbornly low at 2%. (Higher inflation creates wage growth).

4. Consumer Borrowing - Higher than 2008, but better regulations, and low costs of borrowing have helped.

To crash the market as per 1978, requires

1. Thr price of oil to rise

2. Government instability

4. High unemployment

5. Wage growth stagnation 

Corbyn and comrades?

HOLA4419
34 minutes ago, Northern Welsh Midlander said:

Well thats one off Carnages bucket list... Raised Interest Rates... no need to do it a second time.

Usually when rates go up the currency rises.

Not with the Gimp at the helm, the pound crashes lol

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-11-02/pound-falls-gilts-up-as-boe-rate-hike-fuels-one-and-done-bets

HOLA4420

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-41831154

Interest rate rise: What you are saying

'Ian Sutton, a builder, has an interest-only mortgage that's linked to the standard variable rate, which moves in line with the UK's base interest rate.

He says the rate increase could, potentially, have "quite a big effect" on his monthly finances.

"It could tighten the budgets, maybe we wouldn't be doing the things we normally would. We won't be spending as much on going out and additional luxury items."

Now that he's over 50, Mr Sutton says he would like to be saving more, but higher interest payments would make that more difficult.'

A 50+ builder with an IO mortgage .... IR rises are the least of your problems.

HOLA4421
15 minutes ago, TheCountOfNowhere said:

Dream on. :lol::lol::lol:

You should read some of the comments in the media; see for instance :https://www.theguardian.com/business/2017/nov/02/bank-of-england-no-longer-bottle-interest-rate-rise. Larry Elliott is not alone. Many are unconvinced by this and believe that it was done more to preserve BOE credibility than for economic reasons. They are talking about two more potential increases between now and 2020. I think this unlikely as I think we may well go into recession in this period and if you think that this is the start of an escalator to the stars I suggest it is you who is dreaming on.

HOLA4422
1 hour ago, TheCountOfNowhere said:

Have you seen the panic on the TV !!!

it doesnt take 5% to collapse house prices, it'll take 1%.

Natiowide just texted me to tell me the Bank of England just raised rates and they would write to me if i'm affected. I've never heard from them by text before They could probably have bothered to check whether i was on a fix before sending a panicked text message....i imagine this is tostop their call centre being swamped with queriesfrom people who didn't know interest rates could go up...

HOLA4423
HOLA4424
2 minutes ago, regprentice said:

imagine this is tostop their call centre being swamped with queriesfrom people who didn't know interest rates could go up...

"Hello it's Gavin here... er yes my username is SavBizMan... My question is - Is it legal for rates to go up?"

HOLA4425