House Price Crash Forum

Tanks on the street...

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

Hard to say what tanks will do.

To me the UK is pretty distabalised compared to 20 or 30 years ago, yet the stock market keeps going up (went down very slightly yesterday, though not by the level you would think of after a major attack).

I never did buy a house in the UK, such an asset maybe seen as more of a millstone round the neck in future years.

Edited by reddog

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
6 minutes ago, interestrateripoff said:

Has anyone got a picture of a tank on a UK street?

Yeah, here.

tank113.jpg

we wont be seeing tanks this week but It's pretty serious s**t when a government puts soldiers on the streets.

With the amount of propaganda that pours out of Westminster I dont trust them, on any matters

HOLA449
HOLA4410
35 minutes ago, TheCountOfNowhere said:

Yeah, here.

tank113.jpg

we wont be seeing tanks this week but It's pretty serious s**t when a government puts soldiers on the streets.

With the amount of propaganda that pours out of Westminster I dont trust them, on any matters

The French have soldiers on the streets, armed with with sub-machine guns, and have had since the Nice atrocity last year. The soldiers are mostly in pairs but there aren't that many of them. We saw a couple in Nice a couple of days ago.

Security in Cannes is stepped up this year, for the festival, with many concrete blocks to thwart any use of lorries as weapons.

HOLA4411
1 hour ago, WinstonSmith said:

Our governing class have imported millions of people who either want us dead, will help those who do, or won't get their hands dirty but think we had it coming.

That is all.

Get real. All Muslim I know are normal people like you and me who are shocked by all this. There is a small bunch of nutters with twisted minds who are being exploited by some power hungry warlords in the Middle East. Have you blamed millions of Irish people for the IRA attacks?

HOLA4412
13 minutes ago, slawek said:

Get real. All Muslim I know are normal people like you and me who are shocked by all this. There is a small bunch of nutters with twisted minds who are being exploited by some power hungry warlords in the Middle East. Have you blamed millions of Irish people for the IRA attacks?

Quite so. They are trying to engender hatred and sadly some people fall for it :(.

HOLA4413
3 hours ago, Ah-so said:

I think it is a bit tenuous to link the events of the past few days to the forthcoming election. 

Indeed. In any case I doubt tanks on the street would be of any help. I suspect we'll just see a few squaddies with guns standing around Westminster and Whitehall.

Whatever they do I can't see it harming the tories prospects as it taps into the "strong and stable" meme.

HOLA4414
1 minute ago, Broken biscuit said:

Indeed. In any case I doubt tanks on the street would be of any help. I suspect we'll just see a few squaddies with guns standing around Westminster and Whitehall.

Whatever they do I can't see it harming the tories prospects as it taps into the "strong and stable" meme.

Hmmmm, I'm not so sure, it happened on their watch and the perpetrator was "known" to the security forces.

HOLA4415
53 minutes ago, Bruce Banner said:

Hmmmm, I'm not so sure, it happened on their watch and the perpetrator was "known" to the security forces.

He was known, but as are thousands of others. At least they did know him, have a file and presumably a record of known contacts. 

But as people perceive the Corbyn response to be wreak and unstable to this sort of thing, it does not harm May.

HOLA4416
1 hour ago, Broken biscuit said:

While there were no significant further attacks the strong and stable sound bite might have convinced some but with a major atrocity like Manchester the government just looks incompetent, weak, timid and delusional with more kicking the can by throwing out sound bites like vigilance and we will win etc etc.

Even tanks and soldiers on the streets won't change that because it's not solving anything.

Edited by billybong

HOLA4417
2 hours ago, billybong said:

While there were no significant further attacks the strong and stable sound bite might have convinced some but with a major atrocity like Manchester the government just looks incompetent, weak, timid and delusional with more kicking the can by throwing out sound bites like vigilance and we will win etc etc.

Even tanks and soldiers on the streets won't change that because it's not solving anything.

But Jezza and tiny Tim are hardly pillars of strength. The tories are up against opposition that are perceived as weak. That only serves to make them look strong - even if they're not.

I agree about the tanks and soldiers - they're just to give the illusion of strength and safety, much like extra coppers on the street.

HOLA4418
39 minutes ago, Broken biscuit said:

But Jezza and tiny Tim are hardly pillars of strength. The tories are up against opposition that are perceived as weak. That only serves to make them look strong - even if they're not.

I agree about the tanks and soldiers - they're just to give the illusion of strength and safety, much like extra coppers on the street.

If they're lucky and no doubt the propaganda will be strong then they might just edge it by being perceived as least weak but none of it is an endorsement for competence, strength or stability. 

HOLA4419
38 minutes ago, billybong said:

If they're lucky and no doubt the propaganda will be strong then they might just edge it by being perceived as least weak but none of it is an endorsement for competence, strength or stability. 

It has to be said that Holande's knee jerk reaction to put troops on the street didn't do his political future any good. His approval rating dropped so low that he didn't even run for a second term a year later.

HOLA4420

The political class are imposing a grand game of Russian roulette on us.  There's no will to restrict the number of bullets permitted; but rest assured Labour policy is to increase the supply faster than the Tories.

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423

Just a thought, could having untrained army personnel on the streets be more dangerous than the terrorists?

Soldiers hardly ever train with their guns, and their weapons are much more powerful than the armed police would use, bullets could go through walls, and ricochet all over the place.

HOLA4424

I am pretty sure island Mann was used as open air prison camp for German Nazi sympathizers in world war two. There was little internal terrorism in world war two.

discuss.

I'm looking forward to bike race June 1st

HOLA4425