Sign in to follow this  
fru-gal

Alternative therapies - hypnosis, CBT, EMDR, EFT etc

fru-gal   

Has anyone had any experience with "alternative" therapies - therapeutic treatments to cure a behavioural or emotional issue, such as a phobia, stopping smoking, depression, anxiety, existential fears, OCD, bad habits etc? There are so many different treatments and therapies out there at the moment and it's hard to work out which work, which work quickly and effectively and which are a bit rubbish? 

Anyone had any success with any of these (or anything not mentioned)?

Edited by fru-gal

Not exactly what you asked for however, I had acupuncture in Dublin for a recurring neck injury. I was extremely sceptical and only went because I was desperate. I left €50 lighter and absolutely convinced that I had been ripped off.

The following morning, for the first time in months I was pain free. I'm still dubious but I can't refute my own experience.

fru-gal   
1 minute ago, John The Pessimist said:

Not exactly what you asked for however, I had acupuncture in Dublin for a recurring neck injury. I was extremely sceptical and only went because I was desperate. I left €50 lighter and absolutely convinced that I had been ripped off.

The following morning, for the first time in months I was pain free. I'm still dubious but I can't refute my own experience.

Could be placebo. I have had acupuncture before and found it pretty useless but I was sceptical about deep tissue massage too but a few days after treatment it was like a miracle and my back pain was completely gone. Perhaps there is a psychological element to all these things - believing they will work, as well as the  physical aspect?

7 hours ago, fru-gal said:

Has anyone had any experience with "alternative" therapies - therapeutic treatments to cure a behavioural or emotional issue, such as a phobia, stopping smoking, depression, anxiety, existential fears, OCD, bad habits etc? There are so many different treatments and therapies out there at the moment and it's hard to work out which work, which work quickly and effectively and which are a bit rubbish? 

Anyone had any success with any of these (or anything not mentioned)?

My view is that we should all be open minded about the issues you mention and explore all available options to attempt to alleviate them.

My personal favourite is learning about and learning to practice mindfulness for living fairly peacefully in a crazy world. This option is not a quick fix though!

Neptune   
4 hours ago, knock out johnny said:

I read the allen carr give up smoking book which I understand is DIY CBT - went from chain smoking to not even thinking of smoking for 15+ years now - YMMV

Is that what it is. I read it and did the same as you. 15 years of tabbing it and after reading that, couldnt smoke a cigarette if my life depended on it now.

ccc   
15 hours ago, fru-gal said:

Could be placebo. I have had acupuncture before and found it pretty useless but I was sceptical about deep tissue massage too but a few days after treatment it was like a miracle and my back pain was completely gone. Perhaps there is a psychological element to all these things - believing they will work, as well as the  physical aspect?

Is it not unlikely it's the placebo effect if they came out convinced they had been ripped off and felt no benefit for the rest of that day ? And weren't even keen on trying it in the first case !

Can I ask why you were sceptical about deep tissue massage ? It involves real tangible pressure on muscles. And it's in pretty much every professional sporting training regime on the planet ! 

I'd rate it as similar to stretching. Things are tight causing everything they join to be tight as well resulting in numerous issues. Loosen this up via massage or/and stretching = results. 

Not sure how acupuncture would work but does appear to for many people. I know trigger point massage definitely has something to it - and perhaps acupuncture is on a similar level ? 

I've had a wee niggle or whatever on various joints or muscles. Then through self massage got stuck into an area a good bit distant and wham - I could instantly feel the pain in the affected area. 

While back I had slight pain in my elbow/forearms - overdoing the swimming I think. Anyway I also know I get tight traps due to working at a desk. I used by back nobber (Google it!) And got stuck into my traps. On a certain very specific  point wham - the pain in my elbow just shot up.

That tightness in my traps was leading down towards my elbow and either causing or at least not helping my issue. Few days real painful work on it and it was gone. 

Camomile   

I've tried hypnosis for a phobia. Didn't work for me. It just felt like sitting in room with a weirdo telling me a stupid story, with my eyes shut. My mind was racing. He tried tapping too but I still am petrified of spiders and £100 poorer. I could have been unlucky had bad hypnotherapist.

Ash4781   

I tried cranial osteopathy (in layman moving skull plates about) once. It works for some but for me it felt like quackery. It was expensive and of course I would need many many sessions to be cured.

Edit- I understand it is used for depression treatment.

Edited by Ash4781

fru-gal   
3 hours ago, ccc said:

Is it not unlikely it's the placebo effect if they came out convinced they had been ripped off and felt no benefit for the rest of that day ? And weren't even keen on trying it in the first case !

Can I ask why you were sceptical about deep tissue massage ? It involves real tangible pressure on muscles. And it's in pretty much every professional sporting training regime on the planet ! 

I'd rate it as similar to stretching. Things are tight causing everything they join to be tight as well resulting in numerous issues. Loosen this up via massage or/and stretching = results. 

Not sure how acupuncture would work but does appear to for many people. I know trigger point massage definitely has something to it - and perhaps acupuncture is on a similar level ? 

I've had a wee niggle or whatever on various joints or muscles. Then through self massage got stuck into an area a good bit distant and wham - I could instantly feel the pain in the affected area. 

While back I had slight pain in my elbow/forearms - overdoing the swimming I think. Anyway I also know I get tight traps due to working at a desk. I used by back nobber (Google it!) And got stuck into my traps. On a certain very specific  point wham - the pain in my elbow just shot up.

That tightness in my traps was leading down towards my elbow and either causing or at least not helping my issue. Few days real painful work on it and it was gone. 

I'd had deep tissue massage before and it had not worked, that is why I was sceptical. 

Actually I've just remembered another thing that worked wonders is the Mind Body Connection book by Dr John Sarno. When my RSI was at it's worse I was literally crying in agony, read the book and a few weeks later my pain was completely gone. Just shows there is actually a large psychological aspect to physical pain and his theory makes a lot of sense.

4 hours ago, Camomile said:

I've tried hypnosis for a phobia. Didn't work for me. It just felt like sitting in room with a weirdo telling me a stupid story, with my eyes shut. My mind was racing. He tried tapping too but I still am petrified of spiders and £100 poorer. I could have been unlucky had bad hypnotherapist.

I had my spider phobia pretty much cured by hypnosis. And managed to get just enough motivation to revise for exams. But one guy I went to whispered so quietly I literally couldn't hear a word he said.

John51   

I took lessons in The Alexander Technique.

http://www.alexandertechnique.com/

I'd read up on it for some years before getting lessons and as I later learned, was very lucky in my choice of teacher. 

Reasons for wanting lessons were my posture, had a bit of a stoop, a tendency to stutter when stressed and an overall feeling of unease.

First lesson: Sitting on a chair, then standing up. Back to sitting on the chair then standing up again etc. His hand was on the back of my head to guide my posture. Walking back to my car after that lesson, I felt incredibly light and agile. Was looking at 5 foot high railings and thinking I could vault them one handed. I wasn't daft enough to try that but it truly felt like I could manage it. For about 15 minutes.

The next lesson, I mentioned that to him and he said it was to do with the contrast in my posture before the lesson and after. With continued lessons, he said, the contrast would seem to be less but the improvements longer lasting.

I made rapid progress but after lesson 6 I felt weird. Nearest I can describe it is that I was getting fixed way too fast and it spooked me. Stopped having lessons. Some immediate benefits from the lessons were being less irritable, next to no stoop and no stuttering when stressed. So all in all, well worth it.

About 6 months after my last lesson, I had a strange experience when waking up. Up till then, fear and excitement were linked emotions for me, have one meant having both. I felt those two emotions part ways from each other and they've been separate ever since. 

Teachers can vary in quality. If you decide to try a lesson and don't go 'Wow!' after the first lesson, try a different teacher or two before giving up on the Alexander Technique.

Dorkins   
8 hours ago, ccc said:

The placebo effect can work even if you know it's a placebo.

Snafu   

Dry needling is inserting needles into muscles to relax them and is the same as deep tissue massage/ trigger point stuff. Acupuncture is not dry needling.

I swear by it. 

ccc   
4 hours ago, fru-gal said:

I'd had deep tissue massage before and it had not worked, that is why I was sceptical. 

Actually I've just remembered another thing that worked wonders is the Mind Body Connection book by Dr John Sarno. When my RSI was at it's worse I was literally crying in agony, read the book and a few weeks later my pain was completely gone. Just shows there is actually a large psychological aspect to physical pain and his theory makes a lot of sense.

Yes I have had various sports massagers and some were woeful and a few immense. Same with everything I suppose.

3 minutes ago, Snafu said:

Dry needling is inserting needles into muscles to relax them and is the same as deep tissue massage/ trigger point stuff. Acupuncture is not dry needling.

I swear by it. 

I swear by self massage and lots of stretching / yoga poses.

I may have mentioned this before. :lol:

Snafu   
2 hours ago, ccc said:

Yes I have had various sports massagers and some were woeful and a few immense. Same with everything I suppose.

I swear by self massage and lots of stretching / yoga poses.

I may have mentioned this before. :lol:

Yepp . Ive gone down the self harm rou... sorry I mean trigger point release and stretching. My pecs were tight as feck from weights and general rubbish posture so that took 6 months of daily self harm to free up. Same with inner thighs (which funnily enough is the main cause of my "fake" 1.5cm leg length discrepancy, which in itself probably led to terrible shoulder and upper back muscular issues. The body is one big ....complex mechanism. 

ccc   

Self harm :huh::lol:

That can be true. Although there are always the pleasant massages and stretches in amongst the pain.

I love doing the pigeon now. When I started it was literally torture. Which told it's own story. 

fru-gal   
21 hours ago, Snafu said:

I swear by it. 

Acupuncture is based on the meridian system that there are lines of energy criss-crossing our bodies (from Chinese medicine);

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meridian_(Chinese_medicine)

I find giving up the offending thing more effective than doing something extra, whatever it may: caffeine, junk food, high heels, late nights, smoking, drinking, toxic relationships etc. Identify it and get rid.

This is surely the essence of CBT.

ccc   
1 hour ago, EnglishinWales said:

I find giving up the offending thing more effective than doing something extra, whatever it may: caffeine, junk food, high heels, late nights, smoking, drinking, toxic relationships etc. Identify it and get rid.

This is surely the essence of CBT.

You'll get rid of my high heels over your dead body. Be warned. 

:D

I had a year of CBT and found it incredibly helpful. It really helped me work through emotional issues and has continued to be of benefit. 

I had hypnosis for smoking but I was back smoking in a few weeks. I don't think I'm very susceptible for hypnosis. Allen Carr's book didn't stop me either. I did stop eventually, 16 years now.

I've had accupuncture with mixed results depending on where and who's doing it. 

John51   

Allen Carr's book didn't stop me either. 

Me too. It was almost working until I realised that he was just as addicted to smoking as he ever was. He didn't actually smoke ciggies any more but he spent the rest of his life talking about them.

StarsEnd   
4 hours ago, hotairmail said:

I'm not an 'alternative medicine' type, if there is such a thing. However, I was a very heavy smoker, completely addicted to the things, I used to suffer horrendous withdrawal symptoms whenever I tried to stop whcih never seemed to go away.

Anyway, approaching my 40th birthday (I had always told myself, I didn't want to be smoking beyond 40 but time was running out after repeatedly failing),  I was given the card of an acupuncturist in Hebden Bridge (renowned for being the centre of hippydom and 'alternative' stuff) who it was claimed had an amazing success rate in getting people to stop smoking.

Booked my appointment I went without hope. There was a few of us there. He started by giving a spiel cum presentation about what he does, 'channelling energy lines' (heart sinks at this point as I feel I'm being duped) and then he refers to his success rates. I think from memory he stated that he had a 95% success rate. That 60-70% will leave that morning and simply never suffer any withdrawal symptoms and that 30-35% may need some additional personal support from him in coming days. He gave a list of oil companies he worked for - they basically sent their riggers to him for the cure.

Anyway, after all that (I think he was spinning it out so people thought they got their money's worth), he lay me down on my back, wiped an ice cube on my ear by way of anaesthetic and then I felt a short sharp pain. He basically inserted a little nylon thread on the inner part of my ear and was barely visible. It took less than a minute. Far less.

I left that morning never needing to smoke again. Amazing. The 'personal support' he offered was 1. verbal suport on the end of a line 2. to advise you to wiggle your nylon thread if you felt you needed a cig. I never needed either. This was 17 years ago now.

If anyone is interested, this is the centre here - he's getting on a bit now, so if you want help you better get off your harris.

http://www.morningside.co.uk/

EDIT:

Ahh - he has some info here on stopping smoking and his success rates (more accurate than my memory)

(his prices have certainly risen a lot)

http://www.morningside.co.uk/Stopping Smoking.html

Interesting. Any thoughts on how it works?

StarsEnd   
1 hour ago, hotairmail said:

I will preface my thoughts with the fact that I have no idea.

The only thing I can think of is that the acupuncture causes the nerve to send impulses to the brain that then affects the production of dopamine, endorphins and the like - i.e. affecting the pleasure centres of the brain that the addiction itself has attacked. Neurotransmitters and synapses spring to mind overwhelming the effects of the drug itself.

EDIT:

https://www.helpguide.org/harvard/how-addiction-hijacks-the-brain.htm

So, I guess I have a potential actual medical explanation in mind.

Thanks, a very interesting read. I was a smoker myself for many years, I gave up some six years ago using pure willpower. It was tough. I find it intriguing that a very simple mechanism can essentially reprogram the brain instantly to remove the cravings.