• Replies 611
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
11 hours ago, Toast said:

Having seen the statistics on coal-mining jobs (which I think you raisd here), I would agree that Thatcher oversaw rather than creatd the decline in mining - and, arguably, the more general industrial decline. So, teh hatred is irrational, but I can see the psychological sense, as she was in power when it happened.

I can also see a more reasonable hatred of Blair and Brown amonst those who work, and feel they are running as fat as they can, red-queen style, to stay abreast of people on benefits.

However, those estates of folk with no jobs are still there, and I can't see why they wouldn't still be a power-base for Labour. Are poeple there starting to feel that they were trapped and, ultimately, betrayed? Or is it just that Labour also needs the working vote, which it has now lost?

My highlight.

..... and she was quite happy and enthusiastic for those policies to be entirely attributed to her and for her name to be used to describe those policies (aka Thatcherism).

A lot of the decline in various sectors was covered up with the language of progress, merit and stuff like the promised Enterprise Economy - the parts of the policy that really never happened for various reasons including hefty dollops of incompetence, greed and self servery by those "running" things more interested in grasping from a house price boom etc etc.

Edited by billybong

HOLA445
3 hours ago, billybong said:

My highlight.

..... and she was quite happy and enthusiastic for those policies to be entirely attributed to her and for her name to be used to describe those policies (aka Thatcherism).

A lot of the declines in various sectors was covered up with the language of progress, merit and stuff like the promised Enterprise Economy - the parts of the policy that really never happened for various reasons including hefty dollops of incompetence, greed and self servery by those "running" things more interested in grasping from a house price boom etc etc.

My biggest quarrel with Thatcher was the non-existent exit strategy. What did she think was going to happen, all those mining communities just curl up & die? Managing the decline of old industries is one of government's functions, & she ignored it. Arrogant & short sighted.

For me, the same applies to the Iraq war. I was pleased when they went in, certain in the knowledge they had a plan to improve the lot of the Iraqi people ...

HOLA446

Fallon left red faced after condemning Boris Johnson extremism comments

The defence secretary has been left embarrassed after mistakenly assuming comments about extremism were made by the Labour leader, Jeremy Corbyn, when they were part of a statement made by the foreign secretary, Boris Johnson. Guardian

Statements like this will definitely lose them at least ten seats.

HOLA447
14 minutes ago, rollover said:

Statements like this will definitely lose them at least ten seats.

OK he is looked incompetent. but all that came out is that Boris agrees with Corbyns ideology which by raising the subject shows the interviewer deems it as being unpopular.

What will lose them seats is their pathetic manifesto, and Corbyns "populist" manifesto which the average person in the street agrees with i.e council house building and taking our utilities/trains back from foreign govt/crony capitalist ownership.

I'm amazed she isn't cutting the Foreign Aid budget to hand it to boomers in one form or other, even if it was just via the NHS or for care fees, this could guarantee her a win. But they really are out of touch.

She thought those working class Brexiteers and UKIP supporters only care for Brexit and most those votes were hers, she couldn't have been more wrong.

Edited by TulipsFromThreadneedle

HOLA448

Fallon left red faced after condemning Boris Johnson extremism comments

The defence secretary has been left embarrassed after mistakenly assuming comments about extremism were made by the Labour leader, Jeremy Corbyn, when they were part of a statement made by the foreign secretary, Boris Johnson. Guardian

It's a consequence of the LibLabCon.  

Any statement could belong to any of them maybe depending on the time of day.  It's at general election times when they're trying to pretend to be different that they often trip up.

Edited by billybong

HOLA449

Tory Campaign now in total panic: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/05/27/revealed-tories-plan-define-election-narrative-secure-victory/

The irony is May was never going to deliver a real Brexit.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/may/27/eu-theresa-may-combat-terror-brexit-europol

It was always going to be a psueudo-Brexit with no impact on immigration and probably paying more into the EU to secure single market access than we do today to be a member.

May has been found out in all fronts - totally and utterly incompetent. 

Brexit backers would probably do better to vote Corby, at least he actually believes in it, deluded as he is.

Edited by Mikhail Liebenstein

HOLA4410
25 minutes ago, Mikhail Liebenstein said:

Brexit backers would probably do better to vote Corby, at least he actually believes in it, deluded as he is.

Keir Starmer gave a very good speech in December last year where he said that he personally thought Brexit was a bad idea but he accepted that it was happening and the debate was not now whether to remain or leave, but accept that we're leaving and be ready for it or not.  Too bad Labour hasn't put forward any constructive Brexit ideas since then.

• 2 weeks later...
HOLA4411

Brussels would think Christmas has come early if Corbyn wins on Thursday Theresa May warns voters

Brussels would feel like Christmas had come early if Jeremy Corbyn wins Thursday's election, Theresa May warned voters today.

The Prime Minister insisted her Labour rival was not equipped to negotiate Britain's Brexit future.

She said Mr Corbyn's commitment to never leave the EU without a deal would leave him open to blackmail from Brussels.

Yet that is exactly what Jeremy Corbyn is proposing and that is why he is not fit to negotiate a good Brexit deal for Britain.'  Daily Mail

She isn't ready as well.

HOLA4412

On 4/18/2017 at 3:26 PM, Venger said:

Maybe during the election battling ahead some things will unfold (inc HPI+++) because uncertainty, political wrangling, sharp differences between Remainers and Brexit, and unleash some other forces of energy to complain about their situation.

Other people exist.  Other people who are not sharing in the mad-gainz at all exist.   It's not all about keeping the HPIers happy.

On 4/18/2017 at 3:45 PM, Little Frank said:

dream on.....

On 4/18/2017 at 4:00 PM, Little Frank said:

Nothing personal. Just business. Economy ain't going to tank in the next 7 weeks. There won't be an HPC in the next 7 weeks & the Tories have already won the election.

Not sure why you seek to personalise everything but I'm not playing into your warped narrative.

On 4/18/2017 at 4:08 PM, Venger said:

People disagreeing with you does not represent hostility.

Although reacting the way you have done is childish.

There is hard political fighting ahead.  There has already been one shock from voters with Brexit.  Another with Trump.

There is a lot of political dissatisfaction out there.   Your HPI+ vote winning belief is not all to be taken forgranted.

On 4/18/2017 at 4:10 PM, Venger said:

And even if they do win... which I agree is likely, it may be a very different battle-scarred Conservative Government.

There is hard political fighting ahead.

On 4/18/2017 at 5:55 PM, Venger said:

You tipped into me with a 'dream on'.  

I came back with there may be a lot of political battling/infighting ahead, and other emergent political energies released.. how we've already seen a few shocks pollsters did not expect.   That even if Conservatives win, there may have been heads taken, and political change internally.

You overreacted by claiming I have a 'warped political narrative', and perhaps because I teasingly put you in the with HPIers (with good reason).   I was not even positioning for any set-to with you, but hey-ho with your big overreaction and 'Defender of Other Posters' and making me out as the bad-guy.

Just show me where I have attacked you in this thread !  (And this is just a robust defence pushback post)

....Maybe.  That is all reasonable.   I simply offered the possibility that things could unravel.  There we are on sharp side of political risks/forces/energies released and pushback, against backgroup of Brexit.

On 4/18/2017 at 7:22 PM, slawek said:

I've had a quick at the latest poll. Cons gains are mostly coming from UKIP, Labour losses are mostly undecided, LibDem and Greens. There is very little crossing between Cons/UKIP on one side and Lab/LibDem,/Greens on other.   The Cons biggest enemy is UKIP, Lab is Lab itself.

On 4/18/2017 at 7:34 PM, Little Frank said:

c. 50 seat swing from Labour to Tories to give them a pretty weighty majority. 

Puts the Scottish woman back in her box too.