Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Qetesuesi

Wot no thread on Prince Harry and mental health?

47 posts in this topic

On 4/19/2017 at 5:18 AM, ccc said:

In many other places in the world people literally just don't have the time to get depressed about things. They spend every day just eeking out survival. There is no place to get depressed - even when they have far more reason to be depressed than us lot !!

Great theory, if people in poor countries have no mental health problems could you please explain why the countries with the highest suicide rates are all poor or middle income? Many thanks.

He should go and do something more worthwhile with his life, renounce his 'birthright' and stop sponging off the taxpayer.

He could even go and live with his (real) dad for a while.

1 hour ago, Dorkins said:

Great theory, if people in poor countries have no mental health problems could you please explain why the countries with the highest suicide rates are all poor or middle income? Many thanks.

Poor or middle income is a pretty big chunk.

Why did you not just say poor ? Because it doesn't fit with the point you're making....

I just had a look - apparently getting accurate rates is pretty tricky. However even considering this - the following are all in the top 50. It's hardly black and white. And if we are talking proportionately in terms of what people from these poorer countries have to go through every day compared to folk in wealthier nation's - my point still remains - and strongly so imo.

US

Sweden

Finland

Estonia

Slovenia

Uruguay

Japan

Hungary

Belgium

Latvia

Russia

Poland

Belarus

South Korea

Lithuania

42 minutes ago, ccc said:

Poor or middle income is a pretty big chunk.

Why did you not just say poor ? Because it doesn't fit with the point you're making....

I just had a look - apparently getting accurate rates is pretty tricky. However even considering this - the following are all in the top 50. It's hardly black and white. And if we are talking proportionately in terms of what people from these poorer countries have to go through every day compared to folk in wealthier nation's - my point still remains - and strongly so imo.

You said people in poor countries don't have time to get depressed. And yet suicide rates are high in many poor countries. Your theory doesn't work.

7 hours ago, Dorkins said:

You said people in poor countries don't have time to get depressed. And yet suicide rates are high in many poor countries. Your theory doesn't work.

Jeez i was talking at a high level. Not everyone in poor countries is poor. Not everyone on rich countries are rich. These figures are incredibly difficult to get any useful information out of.

All I'm saying is if you are living on the bread line - and i mean really not like many in the UK say they are - and every single day is spent literally trying to get enough money to get food to survive - you simply won't have the time that people here do to wallow in your misery 24/7. 

I imagine when you live like this you view life as very important and fragile and you suck up everything you can. 

I'm just generalising here of course. 

Do you agree that poor people in poor countries don't have the time or resources to wallow in their own troubles like the population of the UK does ? I really don't see how anyone could disagree with that. 

This is one of the main reasons for the UK epidemic in this imo. And why something like exercise can be hugely beneficial. When you are pushing yourself hard you completely forget about all your worries. I have family members who are supposedly in this "Depressed" situation. I don't believe they are clinically depressed for a second.

They have just gradually built up the amount of time they spend every day doing absolutely nothing until it's now got to the point where it's the "Norm" for them. And shock horror - when people condemn themselves to a prison cell (Which it literally is) they end up getting down a lot. Who would have thought !!

1 hour ago, ccc said:

This is one of the main reasons for the UK epidemic in this imo.

Only because it gives people enough time to see what a fvck-up we've made of it and are continuing to do so. If the country as a whole had two brain cells to knock together then we'd be moving in the opposite direction and having the time to appreciate something good, but nah, that's not modern and efficient enough.

That said I get the impression there are also a lot more stressed people in the western world than in poorer places. There are those working hard, for long hours, just to stay alive, and then there are those working long hours for lots of money and no time to themselves either, and the latter often have a more stressful situation. Much easier physically, not at all arduous, no worries about money and survival (although there seem to be plenty of people capable of getting themselves into finanicial problems no matter how much they've got) but with a lot of pressure. That's no good for mental health.

13 hours ago, Maynardgravy said:

He should go and do something more worthwhile with his life, renounce his 'birthright' and stop sponging off the taxpayer.

He could even go and live with his (real) dad for a while.

Most of his money comes from the income on his late mother's personal fortune, I believe, though he does get some income from the Duchy of Cornwall via Prince Charles - it's debateable whether this is 'sponging off the taxpayer' as this is Crown estate income - basically the sovereign's personal wealth 'nationalised' in the time of George III and paid back as a stipend. It doesn't come from direct taxation as far as I know. 

As for his real dad, I can understand the rumours but if you look at him you can clearly see he has a lot of Prince Charles' features. 

As for doing something worthwhile with his life, what would you suggest?

2 hours ago, Austin Allegro said:

Most of his money comes from the income on his late mother's personal fortune, I believe, though he does get some income from the Duchy of Cornwall via Prince Charles - it's debateable whether this is 'sponging off the taxpayer' as this is Crown estate income - basically the sovereign's personal wealth 'nationalised' in the time of George III and paid back as a stipend. It doesn't come from direct taxation as far as I know. 

As for his real dad, I can understand the rumours but if you look at him you can clearly see he has a lot of Prince Charles' features. 

As for doing something worthwhile with his life, what would you suggest?

Campaign for a republic?

7 hours ago, Riedquat said:

Only because it gives people enough time to see what a fvck-up we've made of it and are continuing to do so. If the country as a whole had two brain cells to knock together then we'd be moving in the opposite direction and having the time to appreciate something good, but nah, that's not modern and efficient enough.

That said I get the impression there are also a lot more stressed people in the western world than in poorer places. There are those working hard, for long hours, just to stay alive, and then there are those working long hours for lots of money and no time to themselves either, and the latter often have a more stressful situation. Much easier physically, not at all arduous, no worries about money and survival (although there seem to be plenty of people capable of getting themselves into finanicial problems no matter how much they've got) but with a lot of pressure. That's no good for mental health.

Yes I would agree there are certainly lots of stressed people in the Western World. But we are also creating a nation of snowflakes. At the same time so many of our youngsters apparently have all these 'issues' they need to constantly think about and talk over with other people and get 'help' with.

Bit of a coincidence if you ask me.

On 19/04/2017 at 5:54 AM, StainlessSteelCat said:

I think we're only beginning to understand the mind-body connection. The mind clearly tells some of the body what to do, and it's more than walk in particular direction. Increasingly, it's looking like the body also tells the mind what to think. Both of these work on a conscious and unconscious level. Some areas look utterly unexpected e.g. who'd have thought that microbes in your gut could affect your mood?

To understand and fix problems in this area takes more than a simple pill, or pronouncements from those who likely have never suffered from depression.  I do think there are steps you can take that will help - but not wholly - prevent depression. 

I've been through some pretty horrible experiences, and had some dark periods (but nothing I'd actually describe as depression although others might disagree). The things I found helped prevention wise were:

• Regular exercise
  • A diet that suits me
  • Meditaton
  • Getting outside
  • Some vitamin supplementation
  • Positive self-talk
  • Helping others
  • Goal setting
  • Daily gratitude practice e.g. a diary.
  • Avoidance of alcohol, tobacco and illegal drugs. Ditto common medications. 
  • Focussing on buying experiences that you can anticipate/talk about rather than objects (especially for others)
  • Paying it forward/doing nice things for relative strangers invisibly.
  • Building social connections (this one not completely cracked yet).
  • Financial security
  • Cutting out TV news. Reduced exposure to other news.
  • Being focussed, but not rigid about rituals around some of the above. 

All of these have been slowly introduced and tested. 

Great list.  I would note one very important modern addition - cut out social media.  This warped and voyeuristic 'insight' into other peoples lives is probably as much to blame for modern depression as anything else.  At the very least restrict it to a tight group of close family/friends and overall just focus on real human contact.

7 hours ago, GARCH said:

Great list.  I would note one very important modern addition - cut out social media.  This warped and voyeuristic 'insight' into other peoples lives is probably as much to blame for modern depression as anything else.  At the very least restrict it to a tight group of close family/friends and overall just focus on real human contact.

Very good point, GARCH. 

10 hours ago, Dorkins said:

I read the article and I'm not quite clear. Is that figure of "Per person" as in per head of population ? :o

And also it doesn't make it clear if it's individual prescriptions or recurring ones.

4 hours ago, ccc said:

I read the article and I'm not quite clear. Is that figure of "Per person" as in per head of population ? :o

And also it doesn't make it clear if it's individual prescriptions or recurring ones.

I think it's per head of population given that the total figure was 64 million prescriptions for the whole of England, the population of England is about 56 million and the scale on that map is centered on 1.3 prescriptions per person.

I would guess that they are counting repeat prescriptions individually, so somebody who is having a 2 monthly repeat prescription counts as 6 prescriptions per year, otherwise the average figure of 1.3 prescriptions per person could mean 130% of the population is taking antidepressants!

Prince Gap Year gets a rumoured £4m a year pocket money from daddy who conveniently has a pass on paying corporation tax despite running his duchy as a corporation. The Windsor family has never paid inheritance tax in their history.

Meanwhile homelessness is out of control, inflation is up, wages are stagnating, food banks are everywhere and the NHS is crumbling. Welfare entitlement is cut further back every year.

But he and big bro are doing their bit by heading a campaign to raise awareness of mental health. Except at the same time it appears they are avoiding any talk of the poverty/mental illness connection.

Well...they can go to hell.

Edited by EnglishinWales

On 4/22/2017 at 7:54 PM, Dorkins said:

I'm not surprised that deprived or "under-pressure" rural areas feature strongly red - but how to account for the London ratpack being so green?  How would Riedquat explain this?

4 hours ago, Qetesuesi said:

I'm not surprised that deprived or "under-pressure" rural areas feature strongly red - but how to account for the London ratpack being so green?  How would Riedquat explain this?

The red rural areas - people with little long-term security, which piles on the stress and they've got time think about it. The first requirement for happiness is not having to worry about the basics, and although very few in this country really have to having no certainty about next month doesn't help in the slightest.

London - a couple of possibilities. Everyone there is so vacuous and shallow that they're not bothered by being in London (anyone capable of appreciating life having left long ago), they're all too busy to go to the doctor and in any case regard being stressed to breaking point as "normal" so wouldn't anyway  (somewhat ties in with the "too busy to get depressed" part too, even though that's existing, not living) - note that it's prescriptions being measured. In any case the lower end of that scale is 0.8 per person, a staggeringly high level regardless.

Edited by Riedquat

4 hours ago, Qetesuesi said:

They're all coked up so they don't need prescription anti-depressants...