House Price Crash Forum

A thanks to the mods

HOLA441

Mods - I know you get flak for threadburns, etc, but some of us do understand the Orwellian tightrope you have to tread due to the lack of free speech we face, and we do appreciate the job you do.

Two things to cheer you up in your Modholes

1 - when the HPC starts the main forum will become busy again

2 - when free speech is enshrined in UK law and google etc are sued into the ground for censorship and have to change their policies, you can reinstate all the deleted threads....

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

Mods have always been fair with me.

Firm but fair.  

....Testing 2014, where at times I was a bit down with the BTLer double-down and HPI+++ situation, with a run of being overly argumentative with some posters, before the hope and light of Section 24 in 2015.  

Although I am still at it with some positions, in a fair way, and don't fear many regs in the off-topic... bit like 8-year-itch who stands up and tells it as it is imo.

Over time I gained a few insight to the challenges and complexities of modding a forum like HPC, although realise there is even more to it, that only a Moderator could know, and have to respect that.

Just cheering you up you HPC Moderators. :)

*Bad Language*  (IMO applies to Moderators of all high profile forums, including HPC, with good reason).

As for other things with yet another 'elite-posters' and best-minds-of-internet break-away.  Yeah Mr.5%... you don't need permission.  All about own research and making a choice imo... with nearly all of the 95% actually do... they just differ from your own view of what people should do.  Go forth.

https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/496368ae-67ba-42e8-9a3c-9a0c436b0a68

HOLA445

Mod decisions here are generally fair, but the lack of discussion or any proper explanation about moderation decisions is pretty poor - other forums are a lot more open.

Also the copyright issue is complex, I don't think the mods can just claim copyright of things other people write quite so easily, and I suspect that it they took proper legal advice they wouldnt want to - there are possible ramifications e.g. liability for plagarism.

http://www.copyrightaid.co.uk/forum/topic27.htm

HOLA446

Also for anyone thinking of copying old threads in bulk - this is also legally dubious, any posters who havent registered with a new website have by definition not given permission for their posts to be copied.

If as I suspect is the case they retain copyright of those posts then a new forum would be breaking their copyright.

Other forums which have been resurrected in this way e.g. the Motely fool move to https://www.lemonfool.co.uk/ involved starting again from scratch. It's the only way to avoid legal issues.

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
6 hours ago, 200p said:

What if there isn't a HPC?

What if there is a HPC?

There's a new member (36 posts) who keeps posting HPC-doubt, how 'mainstream' are right (happy HPI) and that he is now buying.  Telling us he believes he can expect HPI bailouts if there is any HPC risk in the future as well.

Maybe he will be thrown under the bus.   He can see the market and makes his choice.

Our market choices matter.   There can't be no downside to paying way too much.  Tiny 1 bed flats at £500,000 as champions for saving £15K + £12K deposits.

As far as I am concerned renter-saver who have held firm against a BTLer double down/QE and the rest, stand for something.  We show them that the human spirit is still alive.  That counts for something inside and I feel good about it.   We have Section24 coming, and I know many others on renter-saver side who refuse to be complicit buying at these high prices (in their areas), renting from multi-property landlords.

Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!

I am about to buy as a free market participant. The slowdown doesn't seem to have appeared to have affected houses i have seen. I tried the brexit uncertainty trick clause 24 ect on properties I would make a low offer on, the estate agent laughs passes on my offer then tells me I have been outbid setting a new top price for the street. I console myself it isn't a sale until it is in the land registry then it seems to appear. Comments like the above being a bad time to borrow have been said on here for ages. Since 2009 we have had zirp and inflation at times over 5% making it a very good time to borrow and leverage up on a rising asset. Perhaps if one believes the currency will be trashed to keep mortgage rates low and protect asset prices then now is an ideal time to borrow. Whilst this may not be the prevailing view of many on here, there seems to be a lot of sympathy for this view in the wider community. Friends still say property only goes up why the need to sell keep the old house and remortgage. MMR has not stopped them go to 5.5 times joint income and borrow the deposit from either bomad or others or equity in parents property. We all know that house rises are credit driven an can anyone see this drying up. Central banks showed where their focus was last recession i don't think they will have different priorities next time. Low volumes may be an issue but i suspect falling prices may be a bigger issue for the government.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414

Just one of those many posters I have battled down the years who can't accept that other people have their own minds, and are fully capable of making their own market/life decisions, without requiring approval of their own superior-understanding/knowledge.   :P

Where he sees 95% people as 'brainwashed' / 'not able to make their own valid decisions' he should look at himself about that, for embracing the easiest of answers against a complex market that does not conform to what he would like it to be.

I had to rattle my mind about UF, then I remembered.  Seem to recall all that stemmed from the moving of a thread about Gold, but I could be mistaken (and I don't really want to know either).   Went to UF one time and read a few topics in one visit.    Will occasionally look into to see how this new place 'Future' best-of-minds is going.   One poster may have had good intentions, but have to see.   Doesn't look like a promising start to me, as the 'best-of-minds' are on guard for the undesirables joining. :) 

I have never been very active in Off-Topic but read a lot of fun stuff and want it to be that way.   Yet occasionally (current affair type topics) found some posts/themes testing.... well even I couldn't raise the energy to push back against them... didn't need the aggravation (and I know I was not the only one).   I value Moderation and a new approach to it, and there are plenty of other places on the internet for such 'free-speech' discussions. 

HOLA4415

@Venger this episode has been the best case of pragmatic moderation I think I've seen.

I'm still at a loss, I've maybe narrowed it down to 15...

And contrary to someone's belief I am not a troll or a wind up merchant. theres no need for their self proclaimed  witchfinder generals to waste their time monitoring traffic to prevent subversive elements from joining as I have no interest in taking part in their circle jerk. Or maybe this is a double bluff...

just glad I started logging on again to see them get their just desserts. 

HOLA4416
2 hours ago, 24 year mortgage 8itch said:

..this episode has been the best case of pragmatic moderation I think I've seen.

I'm still at a loss, I've maybe narrowed it down to 15...

And contrary to someone's belief I am not a troll or a wind up merchant.

theres no need for their self proclaimed  witchfinder generals to waste their time monitoring traffic to prevent subversive elements from joining as I have no interest in taking part in their circle jerk. Or maybe this is a double bluff...

just glad I started logging on again to see them get their just desserts. 

Agreed.  

I know that and many other HPCers know that !  

I'm not in the fan-club either (and wouldn't want to be).  Nor will I be looking in after today.

I don't accept the suggestion that disagreement is trolling, and that strong disagreement forcefully expressed is wind-up merchanting. 

They are welcome to all that !

It's all slightly amusing from rebellion against lack of free-speech and about moderation, although as someone else advised me this morning, this war is already won.

HOLA4417
On 3/28/2017 at 0:01 PM, 24 year mortgage 8itch said:

:lol: who's that? I could suggest 20!

Note to HPC, back in the day, I really, really liked the UF bunch, they were great times in off topic. Even so I never went over there, just because. 

This new bunch have no chance.

On 3/28/2017 at 0:41 PM, Venger said:

I had to rattle my mind about UF, then I remembered.  Seem to recall all that stemmed from the moving of a thread about Gold, but I could be mistaken (and I don't really want to know either).   Went to UF one time and read a few topics in one visit.

Just realised that I might have mixed up 'UF' for a different forum. :wacko:

Maybe UF was before my time, or, I did not notice it when it happened.

Forum I was thinking about was 'green' something-or-other, but enough about that.

HOLA4418

UF was unsustainable future. Afaik  it was about what to do when the world went to hell in a hand cart.

the main protagonists being anorthsite and skinty who it turned out were a couple. (Always a weird  setup when a couple are on a forum).

i may be wrong as I didn't pay much attention at the time. It was a shame as I very much enjoyed their contribution to HPC off topic

• 3 weeks later...
HOLA4419

On 25/03/2017 at 0:56 PM, wherebee said:

2 - when free speech is enshrined in UK law and google etc are sued into the ground for censorship and have to change their policies, you can reinstate all the deleted threads....

What is your definition of 'free speech'?

Whatever it may be, you  won't get it.

• 2 weeks later...
HOLA4420