House Price Crash Forum

Looking back, I really wish I hadn't ....

juvenal

HOLA441
  • Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442

I suppose this kind of counts....

I used to live in a skyscraper when I was small, I also liked to watch things fly. 

One day something caught my beady, four year old eye and I knew it had to fly and fly well. I picked it up, trundled to the balcony (15th floor) and flung it into space. I still remember watching as it tumbled down getting smaller and smaller before disappearing into some undergrowth far below.

Mildy diverted and amused I pottered off to find some further mischief and forgot about it. That was until my dad demanded to know where his watch had gone, the gold rolex watch that he wore only on special occasions, a gold rolex watch that had been gifted to him by a grateful Sultan of Oman as thanks for a project my Dad had worked on many years ago when he lived there.

I fessed.

The bollocking was biblical.

The old man still grieves me about it to this day. He was saving it for my 21st and it was worth an absolute fortune.

Kids can be dicks.

HOLA443
Guest TheBlueCat

Turned down a job in 1989 as the tenth employee of a firm which went on to create at least 5 billionaires (that I can count) and probably 1000 or more people in the 10M-100M net worth range.

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
37 minutes ago, Sgt Hartman said:

No need to carry on with the thread. We have a winner. :P

For real this was offered to me too once at age of 16/17. 

3 hours ago, happy_renting said:

When I was 17 my girlfriend who was bi was interested in the idea of a threesome.

My reaction? "That's disgusting".

I still mentally kick myself decades on.

I declined the same thing at the same age. All my friends (men and women) basically turned bicurious the same year). All but me. 

I was too young to understand I WOULD NEVER BE OFFERED THIS EVER AGAIN.

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
5 hours ago, happy_renting said:

When I was 17 my girlfriend who was bi was interested in the idea of a threesome.

Im still available.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
10 hours ago, Sgt Hartman said:

I used to live in a skyscraper when I was small, I also liked to watch things fly. 

One day something caught my beady, four year old eye and I knew it had to fly and fly well. I picked it up, trundled to the balcony (15th floor) and flung it into space. I still remember watching as it tumbled down getting smaller and smaller before disappearing into some undergrowth far below.

Mildy diverted and amused I pottered off to find some further mischief and forgot about it. That was until my dad demanded to know where his watch had gone, the gold rolex watch that he wore only on special occasions, a gold rolex watch that had been gifted to him by a grateful Sultan of Oman as thanks for a project my Dad had worked on many years ago when he lived there.

I fessed.

The old man still grieves me about it to this day. He was saving it for my 21st and it was worth an absolute fortune.

Kids can be dicks.

There are already some real shockers on this thread.  How long did your Dad spent looking for the watch?  If that was me I would have spent many sets of hours looking through the undergrowth.

HOLA4412

I haven't got anything in this league, but during a period of disinterest in my early twenties I did give to jumble some very cute boys toys which are now collectable, and I would haved loved to pass on to my son in a couple of years.

HOLA4413
56 minutes ago, GARCH said:

There are already some real shockers on this thread.  How long did your Dad spent looking for the watch?  If that was me I would have spent many sets of hours looking through the undergrowth.

A long,long,long time. He was even down there in the middle of the night with a torch.

The speed it was going it probably buried itself, mind you when I say 'undergrowth' I mean borderline jungle so he would have been lucky to find it.

33 years on and I still feel bad about it. :(

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
8 hours ago, happy_renting said:

:lol:

When I was 19/20 a friend of my girlfriend was bi. Girlfriend once jokingly suggested a 3some with her. I laughed it off but I wonder if it could have been a possibility. :blink:

HOLA4416
HOLA4417

At Uni, deciding that my gorgeous, blonde, model standard girlfriend and I would wait until we 'did it' so it would be special.  Even after she dressed up in stockings and suspenders one night to convince me.  Of course, we split up shortly afterwards.

My younger self was a ******ing idiot.

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
1 hour ago, wherebee said:

At Uni, deciding that my gorgeous, blonde, model standard girlfriend and I would wait until we 'did it' so it would be special.  Even after she dressed up in stockings and suspenders one night to convince me.  Of course, we split up shortly afterwards.

My younger self was a ******ing idiot.

Yeah, thats the winner.

Everytime i did it at uni was special. Never turn down chances to have sex with hot 18-22 women. Youll never get that much opportunity again as you get older.

HOLA4420
15 hours ago, Sgt Hartman said:

I fessed.

Kids can be dicks.

:(

Rolex 18k Y/G Very Rare Sultan Of Oman Dial Bark Finish Vintage Day-Date 1803

http://www.watchcentre.com/product/rolex-18k-y-g-very-rare-sultan-of-oman-dial-bark-finish-vintage-day-date-1803/11990

HOLA4421

Back in early 2010 I had a plan to trade a series of Junior Precious Metal Mining Stocks. I had identified a trend and determined that certain Miners would react faster than others to this new trend due to various existing decisions and projects. So I built up this plan, bought the first in a series of Miners and everything went well, it panned out as I expected and I sold at a nice profit and rolled it into my second pick. The second pick went up as planned although at a slower rate than I expected which was messing with my overarching time frame. Around this time all the anti-precious metals pundits started coming out in force with things like "Sell now! Silver won't break $21!" and the like. Being a rookie at the time, I talked to my family and friends and they talked me into banking my existing profit and walking away from it. They planted the idea of doubt in my head and I did just as they had suggested, and at first felt pretty good, I had more than doubled my initial investment in about 3 weeks. By the end of the 2nd month though I was deep in despair - the rest of my predicted performers were hitting the targets I ahd set for them, some even exceeding them as the Precious Metals Bull Market was really getting into gear. I thought about jumping back in but the rational logical part of me said "No, it's too late, you've got no plan, enough has already happened to og back to the original". Long story short, if I had stuck to my guns I would have made just over £113,000 after tax in just 4 months. That is a lot of cash for a 20 year old, Would have changed my life drastically.

I had a similar experience not too long after that -  I was an early adopter of Bitcoin, back before there were all these exchanges. Back when you could mine 1 BTC per day on a 5 year old Pentium 4 laptop, and if you wanted to sell you basically just made a gentlemens agreement with someone on YouTube or a Forum and hoped that the guy on the other end of the transaction doesn't screw you. But anyway, I bought 200 BTC for a total of $600 and sat on them for a little while. When BTC went to $30 I sold all 200, thinking myself a genius for making 10x profit on my $600 investment. About a year later, maybe not even that long, I had largely forgotten about BTC, then I saw an article online declaring that BTC had gone over $1000. I will always remember that sinking feeling in my gut when that headline sunk in.

I console myself now looking back at those two events knowing that at least I made money both times, loads of people bought at the higher prices and took heavy losses as the peaks came and went.

HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424

Slightly OT, as I never throw anything away myself, but my Mum had an unerring ability to chuck out collectable stuff  thinking it was junk. My brother 'lost' a very early electronic game, an original 60s Beatles mug, and a framed Russian share certificate. I 'lost' a 60s Hornby train set, loads of TV21 comics, and some (very violent) American Civil War bubblegum cards which fetch silly money nowadays.

I was never offered a threesome, but I missed lots of over-subtle signals that a girlie was interested in me.

HOLA4425

Archived